Bait and switch by certain online agency

MarisaBlu

I booked with a online cruise travel agent "the worlds largest" and the rep told me not to worry-if I had to make a change it would only cost $25 per cabin--we had three. ...

Did you have this in writing? I am not doubting what you say but can you prove it?

To me, anything verbal is meaningless and useless.

DON

The incorrect quote may not be the agency's fault. The price that the online travel agency quoted may well have been supplied by the cruise line.

It is apparent what TA OP is talking about. I have seen cruises that were sold out listed on their webpage. I called and asked about this, and they immediately called the cruise line to confirm. The cruise line had not provided them yet with updated information.When you deal with a third party, very often they don't have "real time" pricing. It's just the way it is. That doesn't mean it's "bait and switch".

Just don't deal with them if you don't like them.

I have booked 5 cruises with the agency in question. I will continue to do business with them if they have what I want. Their "fast deals" are block bookings and they are selling off the cabins at a discount or if they don't sell them, they have to return them to the cruise line (and sometimes pay a penalty for blocking so many cabins).

When they sell out, they sell out. You could be on the phone or online with them and 20 other people are on the phone or online at the same time. Doesn't mean "bait and switch". Just means another agent was faster getting the booking than your agent.

Nothing devious about this. You just weren't fast enough on the draw. Kind of like radio contests-1000 people are trying to call in at the same time to get the concert tickets, $1000 prize or whatever. You just happened to be #6 so no prize for you.

It is apparent what TA OP is talking about. I have seen cruises that were sold out listed on their webpage. I called and asked about this, and they immediately called the cruise line to confirm. The cruise line had not provided them yet with updated information.When you deal with a third party, very often they don't have "real time" pricing. It's just the way it is. That doesn't mean it's "bait and switch".

Just don't deal with them if you don't like them.

Thank you all for your replies/input, since I started this as the OP.

As we have been debating this online TA, to this very moment, they are still advertising on their 90 day ticker specials, the same balcony price for a May 29 Mediterranean cruise that was debunked with one of their Managers a few days ago......they obviously, after many calls, know that it does not exist.

Why is it STILL there?

By the way, I have booked with this a Agency before, and also have friends that have used them also.......never expected anything like what I experienced with this price debacle.

Thanks again for all your replies.

Pretty good advice. But most budget shoppers want both and have no loyalty whatsoever. Give me give me give me. The same ones who remove the tips, and our always looking to get something for nothing. After all it's there cruise. At lunch one day in the MDR a lady was asking everyone at the table how much they paid for there cruise. When she asked me I made up some number cause I really did not remember. She looked at me and said the I way overpaid and she got the best price. The look on her face was priceless. I made her day.

Hi CPJ

It never fails to amaze how rude people can be, such as this "lady", you encountered on your cruise.

Compliments in how you handled the situation, and had fun with it!

I just checked the terms & conditions of the online agency that I think is under discussion. The T&C's state that information is provided by third parties and the agency makes no warranty as to accuracy.