White Pass RR seating

luv2cruiseprincess

How is the seating on this train? Is the seats for 2 so each couple have thier own window or are they 4 people wide? Is there plenty of seating on a day when several ships are in port or is it better when only 2 ships are in port? Does it matter at all? Thanks!!

The seating is 2-Aisle-2 across. The seat backs are cleverly built so that at the top of the mountain, everyone stands up, and pulls their seat back forward. This provides for the reverse view down the mountain, and then you switch sides so that those on the "outside" on the way up are on the "inside" on the way down.

You will both enjoy the view both ways.

As mentioned, 2 per seat each side. Leaving Skagway sit on the left side of the train so you have the commentary going by the attractions. Cars can be full, no way to predict but count on most seats taken.

>>Is there plenty of seating on a day when several ships are in port or is it better when only 2 ships are in port?<<

The are always few empty seats - when there are fewer ships they run fewer trains.

Murray

I totally agree with everyone else. I did this excursion after winning it for free on my ship. We sat on the left side on the way up and got to see the scenary first. On the way back down, we switch sides and saw what the people on the right saw on the way up.

Definitely an excursion well worth it. :)

All of the seats were reserved if you went thru cruise line which wasn't much more but worth it for our needs. I did notice there were two different classes of seats. The higher class was closer to the dining car, had better seats, and more legroom. We were okay in the "lower class section" :)

Just as an FYI, our WP train went beyond the usual turnaround point, and we did a big loop, about 7 miles beyond. While we did this the 3 trains behind us did the “engine switch” and then we followed them back down the mountain. As a result we did not need to switch from side to side, however, as our car was only about 60% full, we just moved around as we wanted and everyone got great views both ways.

The down side to this was that we were over an hour late getting back to town. (No explanation – no apology) and as a result (really bad luck) we got terrible fog on our attempt to driver to Emerald Lake. Just over the border into Canada it was so bad that it was all I could do to keep it between the yellow and white lines on the road. I wanted to forge ahead, by DW was having a very hard time, and we finally searched and found (10-15 minutes later) a place where we could see enough to know that there was some gravel next to the road so we could urn around. Crawling at 10 MPH with 5-10 foot visibility is just no fun. :( Especially when you know how magnificent the views and vistas are – oh well, just another reason we have to go back I guess.

I went on the WP Rail trip last Tuesday. Took my elderly Dad in his wheelchair. It is a great trip to those who are wheelchair bound. He could see everything both going up and coming back down from the mountains. The crew was very helpful in getting him loaded via the lift and then off back in Skagway. He had a great time.

I rode most of the way up and down outside by the railing between the cars. That way I didn't have to shoot my photos through windows. It was a fun and beautiful trip.

Archived