What would you have wanted to know prior to your 1st cruise?

nrthrngal

Hubby and I are about to head out on BA May 4th to Bermuda and it's my first cruise!

So I'm curious, what's the one piece of information or tip or thing you wish you had known before you sailed away on your first cruise?

Would you mind sharing?

Many thanks,

Tomm & Tanya Brannon

-a little background, we're not really kid people so we like a more relaxed and romantic vibe...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I remember my first cruise fondly--the Carnival Victory out of NYC. I wish we would have known we could arrive before the time stated on the documents! How fabulous the ship would be, how I would become a lover of cruising! Always check out each public deck from stern to bow to see what is available (I did learn that on my first cruise when I discovered a whole new deck the last day at sea! ).

Edited by mizlorinj

Not to waste money on ship excursions...you can do your own or through a local company for a fraction of the cost and they often end up better!

I would respectfully disagree with you here, especially for a first time cruiser. Going this route can be amazing if you know what you are doing, know the island or location and are sure that it is easy to get to/from the pickup location with the local company and ensure you are back on the ship.

Otherwise, if you were to get stuck in traffic, get stuck with a bad provider (even with good review, things happen) or otherwise have a problem, you've got a huge price to pay if you were to miss the ship, or miss your excursion. When you book through the cruise line, you don't run this risk, and if something goes wrong with the excursion, the cruise line is usually a good place to complain to and get heard, since they arranged it.

Just my opinion, but for a first time cruiser I don't think the excursions are that bad a deal :)

Oh, and in response to the OP. If you are into drinking and have an alcohol of choice, it is a great deal to order a bar setup for the stateroom.

This helps save money on drinks around the ship, and also guarantees that your alcohol of choice is available when you'd like it. Great for a pre or post dinner cocktail, etc - esp on a longer cruise.

Ahhh, 1977 just out of college. The Victoria out of San Juan. It seems that I should have listened to my grandmother when she told me to bring nice clothes :confused: (suit and tie, tux for dinner). Yep, they dressed up every night :eek:. We looked like a bunch of dolts with our pants and polo shirts , no ties or jackets. TIP: listen to the world traveler grandmother. Went on The Victoria the next 2 years. Bought a Tux and brought 3 suits. :D.."Every girl crazy bout a sharped dressed man".:cool:

Edited by miataman19

I wish I had known what the motion of the ship would feel like. I talked to many friends and family who have cruised trying to get an idea what it's like. That was my biggest "fear" before our first cruise on the Getaway a couple of weeks ago.

The reality is, you have to just find out for yourself. Some people told me you don't even notice it. But in fact you do. I mean, you're on the ocean after all.

I brought ginger candies, ginger tablets, sea-bands etc. not knowing what to expect. Guess what... I didn't need any of those things. We were completely fine and experienced no nausea whatsoever.

It just felt strange the first night (especially at dinner) because I've never been on something so big that is moving. After a few hours, we became quite used to it. Plus we slept like babies with the gentle motion. In fact, when we got home, if I stood still, I could still "feel" the ship, but in a good way.

Mind you, the weather was pretty good the whole week.

If I were to give a piece of advice it would be to not feel like you have to experience everything that the ship has to offer. There is so many restaurants and entertainment venues and bars that it's just about impossible to do everything on a seven day cruise.

Leave yourself time to unwind and relax and enjoy each others company. Sit and watch the ocean, have a drink and just have some mellow moments.

Enjoy your first cruise. :)

Don't wear the Old Navy flip flops around the pool area. You will slip and fall. Get a pair of the Adidas athletic sandals. Trust me.

ImageUploadedByForums1398473070.661189.jpg.b6bff6039c57e2ec7354ef9f42e0d42f.jpg

Have a great cruise!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

That you can ask for seconds in the MDR or order two apps, etc.

I thought it was only one app, one entree, one dessert, etc.

Harriet

Completely agree on this one! You can order multiple entrees, appetizers, etc. with no questions asked. Also agree with ship exploration and getting onboard as early as possible. Finally, if you are embarking in warm weather, ensure you carry on has your swimsuit so you can enjoy the pool. Your room won't be ready until 1pm or later.

Just had my first cruise a few weeks ago; I WAY over packed...! Didn't listen to the experts on here who said to "pack light, you'll never wear it"! They were right!

Handiest thing someone suggested was magnet clips for important documents, tickets etc to post on your wall out of harms way from loss or spills!

All these seasoned pros definitely know what they are talking about and prepared me VERY well for my first cruise! And they are so very correct, be prepared to fall in love with cruising as it instantly became an addiction and I can't wait for the next one!

My only advice, make sure you slow down and enjoy every second of every day, it goes by WAY too fast! Have fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bring a jogging suit or warm outfit even in the tropics it can get cold

Bring a sweater for on the ship at night

Bring all meds even over the counter stuff

Always arrive in port at least a day before the cruise ...never be late getting back ...they will sail without you

Find your own excursions ...plan ahead ...read up on where you are going

Bring a flashlight have it with you a lways in your purse ..it can save your life esp if you should have a power failure ..indoors it gets pitch black

Never carry your passport on the islands carry a copy only

I would respectfully disagree with you here, especially for a first time cruiser. Going this route can be amazing if you know what you are doing, know the island or location and are sure that it is easy to get to/from the pickup location with the local company and ensure you are back on the ship.

Otherwise, if you were to get stuck in traffic, get stuck with a bad provider (even with good review, things happen) or otherwise have a problem, you've got a huge price to pay if you were to miss the ship, or miss your excursion. When you book through the cruise line, you don't run this risk, and if something goes wrong with the excursion, the cruise line is usually a good place to complain to and get heard, since they arranged it.

Just my opinion, but for a first time cruiser I don't think the excursions are that bad a deal :)

Bermuda is a little different .

No ship excursions needed .

With three days to get back to the ship a rookie can do it .:D

As stated earlier, don't overpack. On our first cruise I had two outfits for every day including matching shoes. One for the day and one for dinner. Way, way to much. For a sunny warm cruise I now pack one pair of tennis shoes and a pair of black and a pair of brown sandals. I pack one pair of black pants that can be worn with the tops I am wearing during the day. Very often the black pants never get worn. If it's a cold weather cruise I just swap the black and brown sandals for a pair of each color in a comfortable walking shoe. The thing I love about NCL is that if I want to I can wear what I had on earlier in the day to dinner.

The previous posers gave good advice/hints. Since you are going to Bermuda for multiple days, my advice is to get a transportation pass when you first get there - at Kings Wharf it is right on the pier. It's good for buses and ferries to other parts of the island so you can explore on your own.

I wish some one had told us that the cruise line supplies towels for island activities. As others said, don't over pack. Bring a highlighter to mark the things you want to do on your dailies. Have your swimsuit and a possible change of clothes with you when you board just in case your luggage does not make it. Make sure you are back to the ship at least an hour before you leave port. And most important of all go with the flow and enjoy your first cruise. I am going to guess that it won't be your last. My husband (the smarty pants) says he wishes he knew back in 1994 that there really wasn't a shortage of Tanzanite.