Make a Wish at Sea

Last year (Sept) and the year before, RCI had this program where you purchased a T-Shirt and participated in a one mile walk for the Make a Wish Foundation. On the GOS, it was great! Even The Captain and several officers joined in the walk!

Since this hits very close to home for our family, I was wondering if the program is still on-going? We'll be going on the FOS in Sept and hope that we'll be able to do it again.

Can any of you recent cruisers tell me if RCI is still doing this?

Thanks!

Last year (Sept) and the year before, RCI had this program where you purchased a T-Shirt and participated in a one mile walk for the Make a Wish Foundation. On the GOS, it was great! Even The Captain and several officers joined in the walk!

Since this hits very close to home for our family, I was wondering if the program is still on-going? We'll be going on the FOS in Sept and hope that we'll be able to do it again.

Can any of you recent cruisers tell me if RCI is still doing this?

Thanks!

On Navigator in February a cruise was dedicated/donated to Make A Wish Foundation in the name of the crew. And yes the walk/run Tshirt event was done.

Was on Navigator 3/30/14 sailing and yes the program is still going . Also hits close to home for me. I always donate on board but don't always take a t-shirt.

Tip: If you have unused nonrefundable OBC donating it to Make-a-wish is a good way to use instead of it just being lost.

Yes it still goes on, but it's treated differently on each ship.

On the Majesty, instead of a walk, they held an auction in the theater before the show. They had different things: tour of the bridge, dinner with the captain, some merchandise, etc. They held an auction for each item. I can't remember the specifics of how much each went for but I thought it was a nice way to do it on that ship versus having people walk around the top deck.

I always donate on my cruises, sometimes we'll take a shirt, other times we don't!

Edited by smileyperry

While I believe that RCI holds these with best intentions I do want to caution people about how some companies participate in charity work.

For example; say at your local supermarket they ask at checkout if you want to donate $1 to XYZ charity and sign your family name to a card they can pin on the wall. How it works is the supermarket makes, say, a $1M donation to the charity. In return the charity gives the supermarket 1.2M of these "donation cards" that they can sell. Therefore if the supermarket sells all 1.2M they keep the extra $200K as profit, and the $1M given up front was a big tax writeoff. So, yes, the charity benefits, but never, ever as much as when you donate directly.

I don't know if this is how RCI and Make A Wish is partnered up; but people should be aware that sometimes when donating through a third party they are really just "donating" to the profit center of the third party. ANd while I certainly applaud the efforts of those that are willing and able to contribute to good causes, I would just say to research first what the partnership is so that you can make sure your donation dollars have maximum impact.

While I believe that RCI holds these with best intentions I do want to caution people about how some companies participate in charity work.

For example; say at your local supermarket they ask at checkout if you want to donate $1 to XYZ charity and sign your family name to a card they can pin on the wall. How it works is the supermarket makes, say, a $1M donation to the charity. In return the charity gives the supermarket 1.2M of these "donation cards" that they can sell. Therefore if the supermarket sells all 1.2M they keep the extra $200K as profit, and the $1M given up front was a big tax writeoff. So, yes, the charity benefits, but never, ever as much as when you donate directly.

I don't know if this is how RCI and Make A Wish is partnered up; but people should be aware that sometimes when donating through a third party they are really just "donating" to the profit center of the third party. ANd while I certainly applaud the efforts of those that are willing and able to contribute to good causes, I would just say to research first what the partnership is so that you can make sure your donation dollars have maximum impact.

Good point. I have read somewhere that they donate 100% of the profits after the cost of making the t-shirts.

I know on Carnival it's the same. We bought a teddy bear for my son in December for their charity and it said it right on the box that all profits, after the cost of making the bear, go directly to St Jude.

Good point. I have read somewhere that they donate 100% of the profits after the cost of making the t-shirts.

I know on Carnival it's the same. We bought a teddy bear for my son in December for their charity and it said it right on the box that all profits, after the cost of making the bear, go directly to St Jude.

I'm okay with that format; all proceeds after cost of materials be donated.

Our son was a recipiant of an RCI make a wish 11 years ago. He is now 20 and we talk about our amazing trip often. His wish was to be Captain of a cruise ship. I can not even express to you all what this meant to our son and us. We were given a beautiful room, all sorts of extras and special treatment. We got to meet the "real" Captain and given a private tour of the ship's bridge. The Captain's wife even gave our boys cookies and milk. Josh was given a captain's shirt and throughout the week, whenever crew passed him anywhere on the ship, they saluted him. Josh was so proud. Brings tears to my eyes remembering this now. Although Josh still had and has days filled with medications, treatments and therapies, we have these wonderful memories to hold in our hearts and to lean on when the going gets tough.

I just want to say thank you to all you wonderful people who have supported this program and to let you know that the recipients of the wishes are forever grateful. Words can not express what it gives to the families and children who go through so much.

With all our gratitude,

Josh and his family

Quick question....Does anybody know if they have t-shirts in bigger sizes (2X-3X)? I would love to add one of those shirts to my collection.

Thanks!!:)

I never took part in the walk but I seen on the cruise compass they had up to

2XL. So take it what its worth :)