XI'AN -- Terra Cotta Warriors/ Photo's

catmanbruce

I did go to the Summer Palace, but since it was in the middle of March, it was probably the coldest and windiest day of our trip. I think that we were all glad to leave there. It was very pretty and if you go during the summer I'm sure its a nice welcome retreat. But in the late states of winter/early springtime, it wasn't all the great. As far as if its worth it, thats hard to say as it was part of our tour itinerary to go, so its not like I had much say in going or not going. But I don't recall the trek out there to be particularly long.

jstducky,

Thank you for your response. I will be in Beijing in early Spring, so maybe this is something that I won't try to do. Pictures of the Summer Palace all show it to be such a lovely place that I was hoping to see it this time. Did not get to do so in 2002 when I was last there.

I think it's fortunate we went before it changes too much for ever - a lot of Australians are starting to travel there now and everyone absolutely loves it.

The Great Wall is awesome I agree.

We're going to Bangkok for one day on our cruise (singapore-sydney Dec.2005) but it's 2 1/2 hours travel each way from dock to city, which leaves us about 4 1/2 hours to look around - I think that's very poor and I truly believe that we should stay overnight in these 'way-out' ports - what on earth can you see in four hours in traffic in Bangkok (I'm sure you remember the horrendous traffic jams- we were there ten years ago and I'll never forget them)

Raringtogo - I swear Bangkok has to have the worst traffic of any place I've ever been too in the world! When I was there 1.5 years ago, it took us over an hour to go about 2 miles. I could have walked faster! Its amazing that anything gets done in the city with the traffic problems they have, not to mention the pollution issue from all the cars, buses, motorcycles, etc.

But I guess thats part of the charm of the city? It is a wonderfully beautiful and charming city though. I do agree that 4 hours is not enough time to see it though!

I've been trying every which-way to get to Bangkok for a couple of days before we set sail, but we're only in Singapore for 4 1/2 days and my husband hasn't been back there (he was born there) in 30 years so it looks as though 4 hours is going to have to be enough for now- shame.

where did you stay when you were there jstducky? Did you take a perilous ride in a tuk-tuk - how scary are they? LOL:eek:

Raringtogo - my family is Thai. both my parents were born there and then moved to California. So i have family all over Bangkok and I stayed with them. so i can't really give you any hotel advice or anything.

i've riden a tuk tuk a few times. i think its fun and its convenient and cheap. in general, i think that traffic in bangkok is scary. my family a couple of times has offered me the use of their cars and i turn them down. i know that i would get killed driving in bangkok. i dont know why they even bother with lane lines as no one follows the rules!

i really think that riding a tuk tuk is a true thai experience! try taking a ride a very short distance just for the experience! don't forget to take a picture!

hi again jstducky-

I think when we were there last time we took photos but I only hope I have time to ride one this trip. How often do you go back to visit your family>?

Talking about the crazy traffic and not following road rules- that was exactly the same in shanghai- we thought it was like living in a Video Game- crazy but exciting all at once - we were amazed that motor bikes even rode up and down the footpaths narrowly missing pedestrians - we had to jump out of the way so many times - the first time we caught a taxi we peered out between fingers covering our eyes- we could not believe how crazy they were, but by the end of the week we didn't even blink when they just missed another car.

Yeah I think that after awhile you just need to get used to it and hope that the people who are driving are experienced enough not to get into accidents.

I usually go back to Thailand once every 2 years or 1.5. I thinik if I counted correctly, I've been there 12 times now. However, I haven't been to Thailand since the tsunami. The ironic thing is that we were there in Phuket on that same beach exactly one year prior to the tsunami.

Anyhow, I love Bangkok. And I absolutely love the shopping!

you are so right- the shopping is too amazing

my son is going to thailand in seven weeks time- he's going for 8 days to Phuket then a couple of days somewhere else and then a few in Bangkok - I've already put my order in for things I want him to buy me - I'm quite jealous and would love to be going. It is a facinating place for sure.

Talking about the Tsunami- I feel a little trepidation with him being in Phuket but I know the odds of it happening again are fairly slim. I suppose you have to think whatever's meant to be will be.

Have you been to Krabi? do you travel allover or do you just stick to Bangkok?

Never been to Krabi before. But my cousin who loves to rock climb used to go there all the time. But she hasn't been there since the tsunami either.

I usually stick with just Bangkok. But I have a few family members down in Southern Thailand so I've visited them a couple of times. I've been to Phuket twice now. Been to Chiang Mai in the north before. But its hard to get time off of work to go and visit, and with travel time I've already lost 2 whole days!

Archived