Escape - transatlantic

SissasMomE

We are looking at the Escape for the transatlantic. Are the balconies also postage stamp size? This will be our first crossing. Can you even use the balcony in late October? If it's windy and/or cold, I'm thinking we should just book an aft-facing. Thoughts? Thanks!

I would expect the balconies to be the same size as on the Breakaway/Getaway. Which to me seemed more in line with mini-suites on the Jewel class, albeit more narrow.

If you book the port side you'll be on the sunny side of the ship. As we head south toward Miami, I would expect temperatures to be warm. Barring any storms of course!

Aft is always a great choice on a transatlantic out of the wind and weather. There are other choices with larger balconies if you want a different location. Keep in mind if you want any sun book port side with the sun low in the southern sky.

I'm following along with this thread too as I'm in the same boat (sorry, no pun intended).

We're booked for Feb 2016 in an aft right now with the option to switch if necessary.

It's quite exciting booking a ship that is still being built actually. I'm looking forward to all of the announcements:D

Hope you can make the TA work Sissasmom! Great gift.

We are strongly considering this, also. We were unsure of the balconies due to the season, so we would probably just do an oceanview.

That would be awesome if you came too!!

Are the pools able to be used on a transatlantic? Anyone know?

Aft is always a great choice on a transatlantic out of the wind and weather. There are other choices with larger balconies if you want a different location. Keep in mind if you want any sun book port side with the sun low in the southern sky.

Will definitely look at port side then. My husband does love those aft-facing balconies, but having sun is a necessity.

I actually was looking into this as well. I just don't know about all the sea days and staying on the ship the entire time.

Plus.....I hate to book so far in advance not knowing what the airfare will be.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

I actually was looking into this as well. I just don't know about all the sea days and staying on the ship the entire time.

Harriet

The airfare is going to end up being one of our deciding factors, as well. We can always book and cancel though.

My other concern is that our son would not be coming along. I'd be nervous about being stuck out there and difficult to reach should he need us.

Right now we are about 60/40 going to book. Waiting to buy FCC while on our upcoming cruise.

Harriet

The airfare is going to end up being one of our deciding factors, as well. We can always book and cancel though.

My other concern is that our son would not be coming along. I'd be nervous about being stuck out there and difficult to reach should he need us.

Right now we are about 60/40 going to book. Waiting to buy FCC while on our upcoming cruise.

I just checked for a flight, one way from Orlando at the latest time on the site that is allowed which was March 2015. Over $1200-$1300 one way x 2....:eek:

That throws me out of this transatlantic cruise....

That would be awesome if you came too!!

Are the pools able to be used on a transatlantic? Anyone know?

Yes, unless you get a rough day at sea, the pools are open on Transatlantic crossings. We've done two and I can't recall a day where the pools weren't open.

I'm booked on this,

As others have said port side gets the Sun.

I've crossed onboard Epic to Miami twice oct/nov and always had hot, sitting out on the balcony weather especially towards the end of the cruise.

Leaving Southampton might be a bit cooler but only for the first few days..

The Escape's Crossing will be better than The Getaway's: late October versus mid January. It was never really warm enough to be outside at all. There were so many activities scheduled each day that it was hard to chose which one to do when. I loved being on the Getaway's crossing that I booked this one as soon as it opened.

GO DUCKS!!!

Mandy

I just checked for a flight, one way from Orlando at the latest time on the site that is allowed which was March 2015. Over $1200-$1300 one way x 2....:eek:

Don't get scared off by airfare. 1800flyeurope.com is a great resource for one-way flights. I am looking at under $400 from Boston same time of year. Also look at this October for a better idea of what next October would be.

Wow, that's a pretty hefty price. We're doing a TA on the Star and looking at 1way flights for us they're around that price for both, out of Buffalo or Hamilton, Canada.

Don't get scared off by airfare. 1800flyeurope.com is a great resource for one-way flights. I am looking at under $400 from Boston same time of year. Also look at this October for a better idea of what next October would be.

Wow, thanks for the addy. Found one for this October for $486 per person.

That gives me an idea for 2015.

Did not know there are 3 airports either.

Is Gateway airport a good one to fly into I wonder...

Harriet

I did a mock booking for airfare for this October, and the prices are not as bad as I thought they would be. My daughter just said she's want to come as well. I was thinking she wouldn't, but she wants to come, so if I book it, it will be 3 now instead of 2.

Wow, thanks for the addy. Found one for this October for $486 per person.

That gives me an idea for 2015.

Did not know there are 3 airports either.

Is Gateway airport a good one to fly into I wonder...

I just assumed Heathrow .... anyone know which airport is best to fly into?

I just assumed Heathrow .... anyone know which airport is best to fly into?

This past October I flew into Heathrow. Used 1800flyeurope website for the one way airfare. Spent a few days in London and did a few other stops before doing the Western Med and TA from Barcelona. We did have a lot of warm sunny days, but know that every TA can be different.

Flying into Heathrow was very easy. Took the tube (subway) to a stop very close to the hotel we stayed in. London is a great city to explore pre cruise.

I'm doing this Escape TA with my 12 y/o son at time of travel (we homeschool, so please people don't flame me). We will fly into Heathrow again and stay a few days, then take the Tube/train/whatever it is called to the dock area. Others have said it is an hour and half ride I think.

Hope you get to surprise your husband. This should be a great trip!

I'm doing this Escape TA with my 12 y/o son at time of travel (we homeschool, so please people don't flame me). We will fly into Heathrow again and stay a few days, then take the Tube/train/whatever it is called to the dock area. Others have said it is an hour and half ride I think.

[i think I know what you mean, but just to clarify, the "Tube" is in London (and some suburbs) only - it does not go all the way to Southampton, you would have to take the regular train service from London (I think from Waterloo station).]

I'm keeping an eye on the Escape too. Never done an inaugeral cruise (and read various "not so good" reviews of other inaugerals), but am still tempted to try out a new, "shiny" ship! I've used my one outstanding NCL next cruise certificate for a Christmas cruise, so am wondering if I can hold off from making a reservation on the Transatlantic Escape till I'm on board the Getaway, or if the prices will rise dramatically by then. The other option is to make a booking for the Escape and then try and apply a next cruise certificate retroactively, once I have the chance to pick up another one at Christmas. Not sure if that's possible or not??

So the main airports are London Heathrow (west of London) and Gatwick (South of London).

Heathrow has an underground "tube" link into London. Gatwick is on a main train route into London.

Two train routes London to Southampton. Fast route is 1hr 30mins, the slower cheaper one takes 2hrs 30mins.

So the main airports are London Heathrow (west of London) and Gatwick (South of London).

Heathrow has an underground "tube" link into London. Gatwick is on a main train route into London.

Two train routes London to Southampton. Fast route is 1hr 30mins, the slower cheaper one takes 2hrs 30mins.

Or you can take a train direct from Gatwick to Southampton which is normally my choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim