Skagway Train Excursion

big bro

BigBro. Hi. If you really, really want some stunning Photo shots take the Train both ways, Up and Back as Pics thru Motorcoach windows are poor. How 'bout a Round-trip train ride to the top of the Pass..then back down? If one wants to look for souveniers etc. then perhaps take train the Full Length and Motorcoach back by road?? Depends on one's interests. Locomotiveman

Some of it also depends on what or rather which day of the week you are there. If you land on a day when there is only one cruise ship in town - usually a Sat or Mon the RR runs a steam train RT to Fraser. Otherwise for most of the other days you can choose from several trips.

RT Summit Trains run twice a day - AM and PM these are by far the most popular and run directly from the cruise ship docks.

One way's between Skagway and Fraser - Fraser is in BC Canada and is the jumping off point for the bus rides either back to Skagway via other tourist attractions or further into the Yukon and Carcross. There are several of these trains each day so you can choose from AM, PM, uphill or downhill.

One way between Skagway and Carcross - ride all the way on the train and bus the other direction - lunch in Bennett. This trip is very scenic and the stop in Bennett is filled with more history on the Gold Rush.

Some cruise lines offer all of these trips - but you will have to put up with those large tour busses. However if you want to pay more and see less you can go through them. I booked my last Bennett Scenic Adventure through Chilkoot and had a great time. Our train car had all of 12 people in it and the Chilkoot bus had all of 5 of us on board. The driver was knowledgeable and stopped wherever we wanted to - he also stayed a step ahead of the larger tour buses - very important when there are often 4 or 5 busses at each stop each with 50 or 60 people each.

I had heard similar reports regarding cruise tours vs third party. With that, I booked Chilkoot ' s Bennett Scenic Adventure. Our particular day in Skagway has the time to comfortably do that.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I just booked with Mark at M&M tours. We are going up on the train and back on the bus, my choice. We are then going over to Liarsville for the show and salmon bake. We are a party of 10. Mark was great about communication and service.

I just booked with Mark at M&M tours. We are going up on the train and back on the bus, my choice. We are then going over to Liarsville for the show and salmon bake. We are a party of 10. Mark was great about communication and service.

M&M doesn't run tours, they're just a ticket broker.

Is it better to do the bus first and the train back? I had read that the morning can be pretty foggy and it was better to do the train in the afternoon? Any thoughts?

I've never understood why the "morning fog" comment keeps appearing, because it's not true. I prefer taking the train up - probably because that's the way the goldrush stampeders would have taken it, but I also like to cruise north because the scenery gets better and better in that direction, as with taking the train uphill.