Copenhagen - Taxis After the Cruise

the line for cabs moved very fast. The cabs were lined up. Although the line for cabs looked horrible, it moved really fast. And there were 2 cruise ships disembarking at the same time. We called for a van-like cab for 4 - it came in the same time as our turn to get in a cab came. The cab still didn't hold luggage for 4- we needed to take 2 cabs. If you need a larger cab- you need to call.

We had no trouble at all getting a cab. We were probably in the fourth or fifth group called off the ship to disembark, we picked up our luggage and right into a cab. We were expecting a lot worse, especially since the cruise line half way into the cruise left letters in our cabins about how difficult it was going to be and to buy the ships transfers. They were telling us there would be waits of up to an hour for cabs. Glad I didn't buy into it, we weren't in a hurry anyways since our flight wasn't until late afternoon. As it turned out, we were back downtown by 7am.

There were two ships unloading when we were there and it was raining hard, so taxis were receiving more calls from all over the city. We were in the taxi line for almost 90 minutes (HAL Westerdam Jul 20-30).

the line for cabs moved very fast. The cabs were lined up. Although the line for cabs looked horrible, it moved really fast. And there were 2 cruise ships disembarking at the same time. We called for a van-like cab for 4 - it came in the same time as our turn to get in a cab came. The cab still didn't hold luggage for 4- we needed to take 2 cabs. If you need a larger cab- you need to call.

Just out of curiosity what time was your flight? Which ship were you on? Do you know of a company that you can call ahead of time for a pick-up at a specific time?

We had no trouble getting a cab after our Star Princess 7/14-24/05 sailing. There were 3 of us with tons of luggage so we got a station wagon (there were 7 or 8 cabs to choose from). The fare to the airport was $50 and that included a tip. We were at the airport by 7:15am and our flight didn't leave until 12:45pm. I can't imagine you having a problem unless there were multiple ships in port.

We had no trouble getting a cab after our Star Princess 7/14-24/05 sailing. There were 3 of us with tons of luggage so we got a station wagon (there were 7 or 8 cabs to choose from). The fare to the airport was $50 and that included a tip. We were at the airport by 7:15am and our flight didn't leave until 12:45pm. I can't imagine you having a problem unless there were multiple ships in port.

I just checked and there will be 2 other ships in port on 9/2. Right now we have the transfers with the ship but I know that we can cancel them.....I guess I'll wait to decide.

How do you find out if there are other ships in port? :confused:

Thanks ....

I did a google seacrch- Copenhagen Cruise Ship Schedules and then got to a site where I could pull up a calendar and a listing of what ships will be in port. :)

I have read some references to US $40-50. taxi charges from dock to airport in Copenhagen. Just re-checked my credit card receipts from last week and we paid 198 DKK (US $33.)from airport to our hotel (Tivoli block) and 210 DKK (US $35.) from the dock to the airport. Most taxis were late model Mercedes and very clean and comfortable.

When we were on HAL Westerdam 6/30, the queue for the taxis was quite long. One of us waiting in line while the others found their luggage. We were four and needed two taxis. Right after we got our taxis, a mini van pulled up for the next four people! That would have saved $$.

However, all in all, it wasn't that trying an experience. We spent the night in Copenhagen so we could tour the city at the end of our cruise. So, we weren't totally stressed out about getting to the airport, and our room was ready when we got into the city. We did the typical stuff, including walking the Stroget, hanging out in Nyhavn, taking a canal cruise, taking the "Hop on" bus, and going to Tivoli Gardens in the evening.

Many Copenhagen cab drivers take credit cards.

Oh, on our way to the cruise, we took the cab (which fit the four of us) from the airport to the cruise ship, and it was about $45.00, including tip. Again, we charged the fare.

We did not purchase any of the city cards. For us, Copenhagen was an easy walking city. We stayed at a Scandic Hotel (there are several) (through HAL) next to the planetarium that was close to the Tivoli area. The charge per person was expensive, and even though it was a modern high-rise, it was not air conditioned. The temperature was not a problem but because we left our window open for air we did hear traffic noise (we were on the fifth floor). Best thing about the Scandic was that a huge breakfast buffet was provided each day.

We did not purchase any of the city cards. For us, Copenhagen was an easy walking city. We stayed at a Scandic Hotel (there are several) (through HAL) next to the planetarium that was close to the Tivoli area. The charge per person was expensive, and even though it was a modern high-rise, it was not air conditioned. The temperature was not a problem but because we left our window open for air we did hear traffic noise (we were on the fifth floor). Best thing about the Scandic was that a huge breakfast buffet was provided each day. Some people we met later on the cruise had negative opinions of a variety of Copenhagen hotels, but I never heard specifics.

We were on the Star Princess 7/24 to 8/3. We had a 12:30 flight. Left the ship about 8:00am, took about 2 minutes to locate luggage. There were no lines (no other ships in port). There were a few cabs waiting. You can actually look out the window from the Horizon Court and see whether or not there is a line for cabs. We had no problems getting to the airport (about 1/2 hour and $40). We did have about an hour wait in line at the SAS counter.

Depends on what port your ship uses. Star Princess docks well out from town and there are not exactly a lot of taxis there. We took the airport transfer but I didn't see a lot of taxis waiting when we disembarked. I heard from other passengers that there were a few taxis there when the first passengers got off the ship, but after those were gone, there was definitely a wait.

We were on Star Princess 8/3-13. We were a group of 6 with lots of luggage. We used a porter to collect our luggage. And then when in line he yelled up to one of his coworkers that was coordinating the taxis and got us a "maxi taxi" which held us all and luggage. Well worth the $10 we gave him to move our luggage.

The cruise line said taxis would be hard to get if we did not get off early. There was a line but it move fast and we probably were in line for only 10 minutes. Taxis were plentiful. I think partially they scare us to get us off the ship so they can clean and turn it around for the next group.

Neil

We were a group of 12 - we all left at different times (on 7/24) and had no problem getting taxis. Four of us did fit nicely into a larger cab with all our luggage - maybe we packed lighter than some-we had 4 suitcases, one garment bag and 4 carry ons.

In Copenhagen we stayed at the Square hotel around the corner from Tivoli. Great location, we could walk everywhere. We got decent rates on Octopus Travel. We purchased the 3 day Copenhagen card and I do not think it was worth it. It did enable us to go to Tivoli and walk through for free every night. We would not have done that if we didn't have the copengagen card.

Archived