Cancel a cruise before final payment

Hello everyone,

If it is necessary to cancel a cruise you have booked and it's before the final payment is due, will you receive all your money back or just the amount minus the deposit?

Also is it different if you have trip insurance vs. not having it?

Thanks in advance for any info.

If you are in the US, and you decide not to go on the cruise before final, you need to call and cancel. You will be refunded your deposit. If you just don't pay the final, you will lose the deposit. So definitely call and cancel formally to get the credit.

Trip insurance is for when final has already passed and you are in penalty phase. If you cancel for a covered reason, the insurance would kick in and get you back any money that you lost...it is a sliding scale that get larger the closer to sailing you go.

If you know before final that you can't make it, cancel. You'll get your deposit back and maybe things will change and you'll be able to book it again after final and maybe get a lower price.

If you have airfare already purchased, unless you have a covered reason for the insurance company to cover your air cancellation/change fees, you are going to incur those.

Hello everyone,

If it is necessary to cancel a cruise you have booked and it's before the final payment is due, will you receive all your money back or just the amount minus the deposit?

Also is it different if you have trip insurance vs. not having it?

Thanks in advance for any info.

If you cancel before final payment yes you will receive 100% of your money back.

No difference with or without trip insurance as the money is refunded by RCI.

Remember that if you used a TA their final payment date is usually before RCI's final payment date and it is RCI's date that counts.

Your TA may have a penalty clause in their contract with you.

If you cancel before final payment yes you will receive 100% of your money back.

No difference with or without trip insurance as the money is refunded by RCI.

Remember that if you used a TA their final payment date is usually before RCI's final payment date and it is RCI's date that counts.

Your TA may have a penalty clause in their contract with you.

Not always true. If the OP used a nextcruise to book the cruise, the original deposit of $100, or $200 could be forfeited. If this is the case, the cruise should be changed to one further out for next year. Deposit will not be lost this way, just be sure to keep the same booking number.

Not always true. If the OP used a nextcruise to book the cruise, the original deposit of $100, or $200 could be forfeited. If this is the case, the cruise should be changed to one further out for next year. Deposit will not be lost this way, just be sure to keep the same booking number.

I always learn something new here--thanks!

I could very well be mistaken but I thought that I had read on here that once a NCC was converted to an actual date and then cancelled that the deposit would be refunded but you would lose your OBC.

I could very well be mistaken but I thought that I had read on here that once a NCC was converted to an actual date and then cancelled that the deposit would be refunded but you would lose your OBC.

People have reported being able to get their full NCC deposit back in the past, but that was before all the software changes late last year. My guess is that they plugged that hole.