Belize Zoo

fostermom2012

It started as primarily an animal rehab area for native Belizean animals.

So this isn't your typical Bronx, Lincoln Park or San Diego type zoo.

Read more here. http://www.belizezoo.org/

But if you like to see some animals and learn more about how Belize is trying to maintain their native species, this is a wonderful place to see.:)

Just wondering, don't you have a world class zoo and aquarium in Columbus.:)

Have you looked at the cave tubing, river/jungle tours, Bannister Island, Mayan Ruin tours. Have a great cruise.

We do have a great zoo in Columbus. I have no interest in touring the Mayan Ruins and the thought of going cave tubing gives me the creeps. I really enjoy checking out zoos in different places. When we do land vacations we will detour to go check out other zoos, because we find that each zoo has something different that our zoo doesn't.

I did the Belize Zoo when I was there last in 2009. The zoo is animals native to Belize and I did enjoy myself. The path is gravel and in some places wood sidewalks. Some of the animals are nocturnal, so good luck seeing those critters during the day!!! The jaguars, tapir's, and howler monkey's are the popular critters there. If you're lucky you'll get to watch the jaguars get fed. They take in nuisance and injured animals and either rehab them or, in the case of jaguars, stay for the rest of their lives at the zoo.

The place is family friendly and the drive to the zoo is really nice and scenic. It is worth the trip to go. Bus spray might be a good thing to have just in case.

• 2 months later...
Can anyone tell me about the transportation to the zoo? Taxi? What is the cost and how long was the travel time? TIA!

Sorry. We actually went to the zoo as part of a ship's tour. Typically, I would arrange our excursions on my own, but I was really lazy this time! :o