Port Vila on Sundays

We are about to do a 10 night cruise to Vanuatu and I have been scouring the web for ideas of activities etc. However I am finding almost everything is closed ( open Monday - Saturday ).

Is this actually the case? How disappointing for the locals missing out on cruise ship business?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are about to do a 10 night cruise to Vanuatu and I have been scouring the web for ideas of activities etc. However I am finding almost everything is closed ( open Monday - Saturday ).

Is this actually the case? How disappointing for the locals missing out on cruise ship business?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Oh my goodness, I left out some critical detail. What I meant to say was we are docking in Port Vila on Sunday and everything there appears to be closed.

We have been to Vila on a Sunday. Maybe there will be fewer market stalls, but when there are usually a couple of hundred, there will still be enough. In town, some of the businesses will be closed, but they are mainly those catering to the locals.

Have a great cruise.

We have been to Vila on a Sunday. Maybe there will be fewer market stalls, but when there are usually a couple of hundred, there will still be enough. In town, some of the businesses will be closed, but they are mainly those catering to the locals.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks Aus Traveller, very excited.

Thanks Aus Traveller, very excited.

the duty free shops are open on a sunday too, Fung Kei opens about 8.30 and the others open about 10am

There were fights amongst the locals a couple of years ago when we were in Pt Vila on a land holiday. The people are deeply religious and working on Sundays is very offensive to them. Has this changed?

There were fights amongst the locals a couple of years ago when we were in Pt Vila on a land holiday. The people are deeply religious and working on Sundays is very offensive to them. Has this changed?

we asked the boss at Fung Kei duty free shop does he always open on a sunday and he said only when the ships in town so they are out to get what they can

we asked the boss at Fung Kei duty free shop does he always open on a sunday and he said only when the ships in town so they are out to get what they can

I think we were there the first week they'd opened for the cruise ships. They were prepared with security guards.

This is what I had read, that Sundays are for worship and for family. However I am also aware that this is a very poor nation and the need to take all opportunities to make money.

We were in Vila on a Sunday this past February. The markets were there at the port and in town. The shops were open. I went to the chemist. Duty free was open and so were the pubs. Restaurants were open. We ate at La Tentation and my daughter ate at an awesome French restaurant (can't remember the name).

We'd been concerned before we got there.

I wonder what more would be open on a normal day?

Also, because it was Sunday, we got to watch a Church service in the open air in town.

Best of both worlds.

Have a wonderful trip. We'll be back there next month!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Do you know where?

We were driving back into Vila form Cascades Waterfalls and our driver pointed out the market, which was about halfway and on the left on a vacant block of land.

We were driving back into Vila form Cascades Waterfalls and our driver pointed out the market, which was about halfway and on the left on a vacant block of land.

Thank you. I might try and find it.

Do you know where?

There are a number of fruit and veg markets around Port Vila now. The largest is the one in town that is closed on Sundays.

Jenny the one you are asking about is at Manples, right near Au Bon Marche, Manples, heading out of town towards Hideaway Island. They are open 7 days a week as are the markets at Freshwater.

As to people being deeply religious and not working on Sundays in Vanuatu I have not seen evidence of this, the exception are the SDA who must not work before sundown on Saturdays. We respect our staffs religious requests and not one has ever requested to not work a Sunday for religious reasons.