Icy Strait Point Whale Watching

OfTheSeasCruiser

We are on a Northbound Radiance of the Seas cruise the beginning of June. We were looking into a private tour, and have came across Hoonah Travel Adventures Whale Watching tour (and they seem to have great reviews on TripAdvisor). Does anyone have any experience with this tour? Do you prefer the small boat (this one is 18 passengers) compared to the large cruise ship excursion?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Edited by cruiserccl1212

We went with them in August 2012 and would definitely recommend them. We went on their smaller (6 person) boat. I have not taken the large Allen Marine boat whale watching trip, so I have no basis for comparison.

We went with Misty Bay and loved it. We were within 100yards of the Allen Marine boat for part of our tour, so you will be in the same area most likely. We tend to choose smaller

Boats when available.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We went on that tour last year when our Celebrity cruise tendered there. They (Paul I think his name was) were AMAZING!! He knew right where to go and the whales were practically right on top of us. We also got pretty close to orcas. It was great on such a small boat. It was easy to move around and there were only about 4 others on with us. obviously, I highly recommend it. Even the shuttle bus driver (a local native Alaskan) was a doll. Do it! you won't regret it!

We went on that tour last year when our Celebrity cruise tendered there. They (Paul I think his name was) were AMAZING!! He knew right where to go and the whales were practically right on top of us. We also got pretty close to orcas. It was great on such a small boat. It was easy to move around and there were only about 4 others on with us. obviously, I highly recommend it. Even the shuttle bus driver (a local native Alaskan) was a doll. Do it! you won't regret it!

Thank you for the recommendation!! We did end up booking it and are really looking forward to it!

What is better for whale watching, icy strait or juneau?

No "better". Both areas have 100% sightings of humpbacks. Every trip is hindsight in reports and won't be repeated. What YOU see will be unique to that time.

The whale watching experience in Icy Strait Point (Hoonah)is fantastic! We enjoyed ours tremendously. Our excursion (booked through the cruise line) included bear watching and we were rewarded with seeing two brown bears trying to catch salmon!

Happy cruising!