CB Review April 12 - 19 Focus on Suite Perks and AI Beverage Pkg

Mythros

This is a little late, but I will try to post a day by day for those who might be interested in more information on the All Inclusive Beverage package and the Window Suite.

In summary, we had a fabulous cruise. We love sailing with Princess and plan to do so for many more years. Everything was not perfect - but we did not encounter anything that affected the quality of our cruise at all. So, here we go:

Day 1 – Toronto – Houston

Caught an 8pm flight from Toronto to Houston, which had us arriving at 10:15 Houston time. No issues with the flight – touched down on time and safely. Now to go get our luggage! It was a little difficult to navigate the Houston baggage claim area. We couldn’t find a terminal displaying the carousel to go to, so we walked around and found our carousel in the back corner. Just in time! The buzzer sounded and out came 10 pieces of luggage. That’s right – 10 pieces. Then the carousel died. A friendly rep from Delta (he was working in the Delta luggage area) came over and tried to reset the machine with his keys …. Didn’t work. So he paged the “Air Canada” rep for us.

There was a sign on the Air Canada baggage door saying “be back soon” and a number to call. Many people tried to call that number – to no avail. Some of us walked up to the Air Canada ticketing counter – nobody there. It’s 11:15pm now and the Calgary flight has just arrived … and they are waiting at the same carousel as us. Imagine their surprise to find us still there. The poor Delta rep was again bombarded by people to help get the problem fixed.

It amazes me that there is no communication or collaboration between the airlines and airport for these types of problems. The carousels were all manufactured by the same company – why do we need different keys for each airline? Finally, at 11:45pm maintenance and an Air Canada rep showed up. All it took to fix the system was to turn the key and reset it … 3 seconds … and we were waiting for 90 minutes. Grab our luggage and off to wait for the airport shuttle and straight to bed.

Sleep in until 9am – grab a shower and off to find hotel breakfast. Back to the room to collect luggage, check out and wait for the 10:30am shuttle back to the airport. Find the Princess reps and get signed in for the transfers to the ship. Hop on the bus at about 11:30am and away we go …. One hour later we arrive at the port. Move to the Platinum line up – and walk all the way around the crowds to the front of the line (love this perk;)). Takes only minutes to fill out our “are you sick” forms and get our room keys. Off to the line to get on the ship. This took a little longer. There is no “priority line” here – it’s just everyone waiting to board the ship. I’d estimate that this took about 15 minutes.

While in line my husband starts to study his room key. “Hey, this says Suite at the top?” My reply, “Don’t they always say that?” Carry on, keep walking. I’ve been keeping this a secret – we had originally booked an obstructed oceanview as a standby deal – so we got a great price. I kept checking the available cabins and gave my husband an update everyday. We did not get a cabin assignment until one week before the cruise – the same day that I received an “upsell offer” from Princess. $199pp to upgrade to a Window Suite. Since I got such a good deal on the original oceanview – I couldn’t see how I could refuse this offer. I’ve also always wanted to try one. I told my husband that we were upgraded to an unobstructed oceanview cabin – E307. This was pretty close to our actual F307, and he doesn’t know enough about the layout of the ship to differentiate between E cabins and F cabins.

So back to waiting in line, we finally got to the ship, ducked past all the first timers waiting for the elevator, and slipped down the stairs. Once on Fiesta deck we headed forward to locate our cabin. The window suites are in a “secret hallway” just off the atrium on deck 6. The doors are usually closed so the hallway does not get “thru fare traffic”. We open up the door – and now my husband is really suspicious. “I don’t remember the oceanviews having a secret hallway before!” Then he noticed the “upgraded” doors for the suite. He’s got it figured out now!:eek: So we proceed inside to check out our new digs.

What a fabulous room! It actually has a foyer. A beautiful tiled area just inside the door where you can look left and see 2 full length closets. To the right is a full length mirror and another full length closet before you reach the huge bathroom. Bathroom has double sinks with tons of count and self space, a separate shower and jetted tub. I am stunned at how big this place is. When we walk out into the main living space, it is so bright and cheery – two huge windows, a desk, loveseat and coffee table with chair on the left side of the room. A full length counter with more drawers and the fridge and mini bar runs underneath the window. There was a beautiful flower arrangement waiting for us – nice touch! The other side of the room contains yet another chest of drawers, the safe and more shelf space – and finally the bed with 2 night tables. When we unpacked, we couldn’t use all of the closet space – I don’t think we could have filled it up with 4 people in the room.

We did our administrative stuff – changed out the mini bar for different selections, confirmed my spa appointment, booked the Crown Grill for that night and got a bucket of ice for our bottle of champagne that we brought on board. Then we headed out to find a bar and purchase the All Inclusive drink package.

We walked to Outriggers to buy a sailaway drink – it was closed! Then I remembered that we can only get Houston booze until we clear the border. I also found out that only select bars are even open for sailaway. So … inside to Crooners to try one of the cocktails. They were not good – I’m glad that we brought the champagne on board – because that would have to get us through until we were in open waters.

We actually spent this sailaway very differently than others – we headed back to our suite to see how cold the champagne was. It wasn’t cold enough yet, but our room steward had delivered 2 small bottles of Korbel and the biggest basket of fruit that I’ve ever seen while we were walking around. So, we opened up the Korbel, and loaded up the DVD player with a Game of Thrones disc. Two episodes, two mini bottles of Korbel and a half bottle of our champagne tided us over to the muster drill.

We headed off with our lifejackets to Churchhill lounge. This is the closest that we have ever been to a muster station. It was also the worst smelling muster station – all of the smoke just permeates the entire lounge and the entrances as well. We grabbed a seat outside the lounge and waited patiently for the announcements to begin. There were quite a few other people in our area, including a large family wearing matching green t shirts. I think there were 5 kids and the two adults. The husband and wife chose this time to start an argument that would last through the ENTIRE muster drill. They weren’t quiet about it either. Unbelievable. I felt bad for those people who had never attended one before and were distracted by the drama. :(

After the muster drill, we popped down a floor to the International Café (love how close our cabin is to the IC) to pick up some sandwiches as we weren’t having dinner until 7pm. Headed back to the room to eat our snacks and finish the champagne – and yes, to watch another episode of GOT.

At 7pm we made the long walk to the Crown Grill for our complimentary dinner – I think it took us a whole 45 seconds to get there - and were seated at a table for two. Right from the start we knew that this was going to be a great experience. Our waiter was fabulous – and joked with us about the substandard drinks that he could offer us since we were still in Houston. He promised to keep us there long enough to have a nice Baileys for dessert. (Since the ship left about an hour late, we never did get the Baileys.) We did order a glass of the Robert Mondavi that they were allowed to serve – I’m not a big fan of Mondavi wines and did not actually finish mine. We also ordered a bottle of sparkling water (another nice perk of the AI package).

As other reviews on this board have mentioned, the Crown Grill was excellent, the seafood, the steaks, even the side dishes were amazing. The only downfall was that I couldn’t get a glass of the Pinot Grigio to go with the shrimp. We did spring for desert. I had ordered the chocolate molten cake. My waiter brought vanilla ice cream as well as the chocolate – and he was right, it did go much better!

We headed back to the room and turned in early for the night.

Woke up and headed to Sabatinis for our suite breakfast. This is where we met George, Bebe and Tatiana. They took fabulous care of us all week. After the orders for cappuccino went in, Bebe asked us if we would like some “happy juice”. What is breakfast without happy juice after all? The service and the food were both consistently excellent and we never wanted for anything. I am so missing Sabatinis breakfast.

After breakfast I was off to the spa for a mani/pedi. This is the first time that I’ve used the spa services, and I have to say, they did a great job. Kellianne was fantastic – my mani/pedi include a hot stone massage and cooling gels – they called it the Fire & Ice. I figured if I was going to pay for spa services on board, I might as well go for something a little different. It was a very relaxing 2 hours. I don’t think that I would do this very often, but once in a while it is a nice treat.

Headed off to meet hubby for lunch. He was checking out the action at the poker tables. We went to the dining room and shared a table with two other couples. Service was excellent, and the food was also quite good.

After lunch it was time to get ready for the meet and greet. We met in Skywalkers at 2pm and had almost 100 people there. Was really great to meet everyone and learn about how much or how little cruising experience people had. It’s amazing though that we didn’t seem to run into anyone we met during the cruise – except Tom and his kids. We also ran into another couple at disembarkation while we were picking up our luggage.

After the meet and greet, we were ready to start the cabin crawl. I had volunteered to organize this along with a poker run. There were so many upgrades happening the week before that we had to change almost all of the cabins that we were viewing! Oh well, it was a little extra work for me – but lots of enjoyment for those of us who received the upgrades / upsells. Unfortunately, we were all upgraded and couldn’t replace our Inside cabin – so we didn’t get to see one on this cruise. We had quite a few participants and it was fun to go up and down the halls with such a large group of people.

After the crawl, it was back to our suite (yes I know I keep saying “suite” instead of cabin … trying to make the feeling last) to get ready for formal night. Our complimentary canapés were delivered – we received two actually, chocolate covered strawberries and a plate of mixed canapés – before we arrived. All of our deliveries seemed to come before we arrived so we never got to actually tip any of the room service staff – well except for breakfast on disembarkation day. Anyway, as well as the canapés were our corsage and boutineer. We didn’t actually choose to wear these, but kept them in a glass of water by the bedside table.

After we were dressed and ready, we headed up to one of our favourite bars, Crooners. Just love the atmosphere here. We ordered some martinis and olives and spicy mix and sat down to relax and do some people watching. This is where we began to notice how many people had purchased the All Inclusive Beverage package. There were so many people with black stickers on their cards I was surprised. So we started chatting with the waiter – James, I think – about what the staff thought of the package. This was only the third week for the CB, so they were still working out some of the kinks. The bar staff are not impressed with the package because they don’t make as much money as they used to. Apparently, the 15% gratuity that is charged on the package gets split 50/50 with the dining room staff! I was shocked to hear this. I understand that people do drink alcohol in the dining rooms – but I certainly wouldn’t think that it was a 50/50 split. I hope that with all of the data that Princess is collecting, that they can reallocate the way this is split so that it is more fair for the bar staff. They don’t get any of the automatic gratuities that people pay after all.

After a couple of drinks, we headed out for our 8pm reservation at Sabatinis. We were greeted by name by the waitstaff – they remembered us from breakfast. Again the service was absolutely superb! The food was good – but I have to say though, the food at the Crown Grill was better.

Thanks for the review of your Suite Experience on Princess. Good job on the upsell. Sadly I just cancelled a suite as the perks are far less than NCL. I feel the extra you spent makes it a good value, asking price is just too high for the product.

We docked in Cozumel around 8am. We were up and at Sabatinis just around this time. Bebe started our day by bringing our happy juice and morning coffees. Breakfast was delicious – again, and the service was beyond expectations. Tatiana came by to suggest some good shopping places in Cozumel and then we were off.

We had booked the Princess – Yacht Race excursion so we headed off to our meeting area. Before we left the ship, we made sure to grab 2 large bottles of water to bring ashore with us. These large bottles of water are included in the AI package.

We joined up with the others participating in this tour – about 28 of us. Jumped on a ferry just off the port and headed out to our Yachts. This is actually the shortest trip to an excursion that I have ever experienced. Guess it helped that the race was taking place in the water right beside our cruise ship! We were split into two groups – Canadian True North and the Stars and Stripes. We were briefed on the way over about “what kind of job” do you want. We chose active jobs so were assigned “grinders”. Others were put on the ropes, others on the main grinders while some had less strenuous jobs like “timer” or “drink fairy”.

Once on the yacht, our captain (from Australia) gave us our cues and told us who to listen for. We practiced several of the tasks, and then we were ready to start. We had great weather for this tour – beautiful sunny day – with lots of wind! We were able to get the speed up to 12 knots, which is about the maximum for this yachts. At times, we had so much lean, that you could reach out and touch the water with your fingers. What a fabulous experience! Our Canadian team were able to just “nose out” the Stars and Stripes for a much deserved victory.

After the race, the crew had us sit up at the front of the boat so that they could lower the sails without injuring anyone. During this time, at least one member of the crew would circulate to answer questions that we might have. This was really not a long tour – only about 2.5 hours from start to finish. I would highly recommend this tour – so much fun, and not a lot of time commitment. We were back on board the CB just before noon.

Headed up to the pool deck to grab some burgers and fries (what is it about eating burgers and fries on a cruise ship that makes them taste so much better than at home?) and a Tom Collins. We have been to Cozumel many times, so we decided not to get back off and walk around. We decided to spend the next couple of hours enjoying the empty pool deck, the wonderful breeze and the gorgeous sunshine – and yes, a few more Tom Collins. All of this, plus the pale white Canadian skin was the perfect combination for sunburn that would make itself felt a little later …

We had decided to try out the Platinum/Elite/Suite lounge tonight as they were serving fresh guacamole and salsa and margaritas – Mexican theme for our port of call. So we headed back to the room to get cleaned up and made it to the lounge at about 5:15pm. There were not too many people in Skywalkers when we got there.

As we were collecting some nibbles, one gentleman noticed the cribbage board that we carry around with us every where we go. He invited us to join him and his partner as they both played crib as well. So we headed over to their table and sat down. The bar service is fantastic here, we weren’t sitting for 3 seconds before a waiter came to take our drink order. We stayed in theme and ordered the margaritas, although we could have had any other drink. Again, we gave him our “black sticker cards” and got our receipts. On a side note, my husband was determined to keep all of the receipts so that we could “count” at the end of the cruise and see if we came out ahead or not.

We chatted with the couple until just before 7pm – watching the comings and goings of people in the lounge. It never did get “busy”. I don’t know if it was like this the entire cruise – as this was the only time that we attended. We never did end up playing cribbage, we swapped cruise stories instead – they had so many more than we did.

We hadn’t made any firm dinner plans, so we decided to walk to the atrium to check out the martini demonstration and the dining room menu. That was when I saw Vines and remembered “I want to check that place out!”. So we headed over and grabbed a small table behind the bar. Beside us was a “wine seminar” – it seemed like they had one of these almost every night. I ordered a glass of sparkling wine and my husband ordered a reisling. After our wine was delivered, Kelvin, our waiter asked if we would like sushi or tapas. We decided on the tapas. I thought that he would bring us one to share – but he brought us one each. They were delicious. He was also very quick to notice when our glasses got close to empty and offered us another. We moved over to the bar for the next glass so that we could chat more with him and his partner Ryan who kept the place running.

About 8:30pm we decided that if we were going to have dinner – we should probably go. So off to the dining room. We chose a table for two as we were pretty much talked out by this point – and it was late enough that we didn’t have to wait. Skipped desert and headed back to our suite – we had an early day in Roatan.

We were up early today as we had an early excursion. The first thing I noticed was that my arms and back were on FIRE!:eek: The next thing I noticed was that it was going to be another hot, beautiful, sunny day. The sunburn was in full effect – and we had a wonderful kayak/snorkelling tour to look forward to. Not much chance of escaping the sun today! So I lathered myself up in sunscreen, picked the longest short sleeve shirt I had and headed out to meet the day.

Made it to Sabatini’s for 7am and only a couple of other suite guests were there this early. It is nice that Princess changed the port times from Sabatini’s from 7:30am to 7:00am so that we could take advantage of the earlier time. Bebe brought our coffees and happy juice (love the happy juice :p)and our food order shortly after. I love how you can spend as much or as little time as you want for breakfast. In the main dining room you are kind of ushered along with the rest of the table – but at Sabatini’s, you can have a quick breakfast or a leisurely one – very nice.

After breakfast we headed out to grab a couple of bottles of water and the off the ship to find our bus for our Kayak and Snorkel tour. It was about a 45 minute drive to the other side of Roatan. I was very surprised to see so much garbage everywhere! I was really looking forward to the “beauty of Roatan” based on all of the reviews that I have read, and the comments of some cruisers who had been there in the past. Every road, property and ditch was “full” of debris. It made me sad as you could see beauty of the place underneath – but you really had to look, and it didn’t really give a good first impression. I think I heard one other cruiser mention that they may have had a hurricane go through there recently? This might explain the debris.

We did have a tour guide with us on the bus – but he didn’t have anything to say through the entire ride to our destination. A little disappointing, it would have been nice to have some dialogue about the history and culture.

We arrived at the destination – and you could see the difference. This resort had been maintained – the grounds were cleaned, the beaches raked. They expected a lot of tourists and took care appropriately. We had several guides for this tour. One for the kayaking portion, then another guide for the snorkelling. We did the kayaking first. It was advertized as “glass bottom” – but don’t expect to see very much. The glass gets cloudy and you spend most of your time paddling anyway. One way to alleviate the cloudiness is to splash “a little” water on the bottom of the boat. Some of the participants tried this a little too often – we had at least 3 of the boats capsize! The guides were fantastic about this though – they got over to the people in trouble very quickly and helped them get back in. Quite entertaining! It almost made me forget about the BURNING sun beating down on my already burnt arms!

The snorkelling part of the tour was more enjoyable. We were split into smaller groups – 5 people per tour guide – and were led around the beach to investigate coral and sea life. There was so much colour and coral – really beautiful. Our guide would often swim to the bottom to pick up something of interest – broken lobster antenna, starfish, broken piece of coral – and show it to the group. This was a very enjoyable morning!

The trip back to the ship was as quiet and uneventful as the trip to the resort. Overall, I really enjoyed this tour. It’s great to be able to get some exercise while enjoying the sights of a new destination. The only improvement would be to have the bus guides actually deliver some history or current information about the people and culture.

It was about 3pm when we got back on the ship – too late for lunch so we headed to our favourite place – the International Café to pick up some sandwiches, salads and some black and white mousse (my husband’s favourite – I think he had at least 2 of these every day). Brought everything back to the room so that we could relax and shower off the residual sand and ocean salt. I also checked on the sunburn … seems like I added another tan/burn line to the already existing burn on my arms. Cool shower and lots of moisturizer!

Once we were cleaned up, we headed to Vines to say hi to Ryan and Kelvin and get a glass of wine. What a great place this is! It was really nice to be able to try lots of different wines without buying a whole bottle. While we were here, there was a rock band playing in the atrium – The East Coast Connection. They were really, really good! They only played for about 45 minutes or so, but what they did play made me want to hear more. After checking the patter, I found out that we had already missed them several nights, and that they were playing later in the evening in Club Fusion or the Explorers Lounge depending on the night. We made a point of going to see them several times after this.

We had another quick dinner in the dining room and then headed to Club Fusion to see The East Coast Connection again. We were a little early and the band was warming up. This was interesting to see. The band was playing and the keyboardist was singing (he is also very good) while the lead singer was moving around the bar checking the sound from the different locations. Soon enough he joined the band and they played a few tunes. Then they opened it up to requests. This was fun. We actually requested Zeppelin – and they played one verse of “Rock and Roll”. Impressive! He finished that off by saying, “Bet you never thought to hear that on a cruise ship!”. Everyone had lots of fun – especially one older couple that would dance to almost every song. How delightful to watch them jive and jitterbug. It seemed that this same group of people followed the band to whichever venue they happened to play at.

We stayed up later tonight, then back to the suite. Our tour in Belize didn’t start until 10am.

I think I heard one other cruiser mention that they may have had a hurricane go through there recently? This might explain the debris.

I do not know if any hurricane was there last year, but there definitely has not been any hurricane there over the last six months.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a generous, detailed review. I loved this itinerary when I sailed back in January.

Norris

We got to sleep in a little today. Didn’t make it to Sabatinis for breakfast until 9am. George brought us to our table, Bebe brought our coffees and happy juice (he doesn’t even ask us anymore – nice) and took our order. Another perfect breakfast.

It was looking a little overcast in the morning, but by the time we left the ship, the sun was out in full force again! Not good for my sunburn, but at least we had a tour today that would keep us out of the sun. We were heading out for the Zipline and Cavetubing tour. I was especially excited about this one as it had received tons of good reviews. We grabbed a couple of bottles of water and jumped on a tender that was headed to shore. It was about at 15 – 20 minute ride, not too bad.

On shore, we found our tour and got on the bus. We had two guides on the bus who let us know that it could take up to 75 minutes to get to the location. After yesterday’s boring bus, I was getting ready to snuggle in for a nap. I never did get the nap. Our guides were fantastic! They kept us busy the entire ride. We got a history lesson, a culture lesson, a scenic tour and a mini language lesson in creole. The ride did not feel like an hour – but it did take us about 70 minutes to get there. Once we arrived, we switched buses to drive “over the hill”. Not sure what this was about – I think that anyone going zipliningg or cavetubing was in good enough physical condition to walk over the hill??

Once inside the rainforest, we were passed on to the ziplining crew. What a slick operation they had going here. There were lots of crew – each of them knew exactly what they were supposed to be doing, and they really moved the crowds along well. We were suited up in our safety harnesses in under 10 minutes and sitting down to watch the demonstration.

After, we were sent with another guide up the long, long stairs. It was a bit of a hike, but not too bad. They had split the stairs up so that you weren’t constantly climbing. Once we made it to the top landing, there was a guide there to secure the safety straps and send you on your way. It was interesting to hear them communicating with their counterparts at the next landing. Each guide had their own special set of signals to know when to let the next person go. We started off with a nice simple, easy glide. It wasn’t nearly as exhilarating as I was expecting. The views of the rainforest were exceptional though! It was amazing what you could see from that height.

The rest of the tour was a series of getting unattached and reattached for the next line. Each line was a little longer and faster than the last. To be honest – I didn’t find the ziplining very exciting – but I did find the views to be fabulous. Our last stop brought us right back to the central area where we could remove our gear and get a glass of water. The whole resort was really planned out well to minimize the amount of walking that we had to do.

We had the cave tubing next and I was glad about the order we received as I didn’t really want to zipline wet. We stored our clothes in a locker and headed over to the cabetubing area in our bathing suits. Again, the guides were fantastic. Very knowledgeable, good clear directions and kept the lines moving – without feeling like we were rushed. There was a little more of a walk this time – and we were carrying our tubes. I did notice that the guides would carry the tubes for kids or adults that had minor mobility issues – nice touch.

The caves were a glorious throwback to history – very untouched (or as untouched as something that has thousands of visitors a day can be) and preserved. The stalagmites and stalactites were amazing. The guides pointed out lots of key features and showed us the interesting formations. Really cool.

After the tour, lunch was included. It was rice & beans with chicken and coleslaw. It was really, really good. I am also a hot sauce fan, so I sampled all of Marie Sharpe’s varieties with my lunch. The best hot sauce didn’t come from a bottle, but was the fresh crushed habanero peppers at the end of the buffet line.

After lunch it was back on the bus – and this time I thought I would get a nap for sure. I couldn’t imagine what else our guides would have to say for another hour. Well … I was wrong. These guys were fantastic. They kept us entertained the entire ride back as well! We had a trivia game where they gave out prizes (maps of Belize, Belize money), we stopped on the side of the road for tamarinds. Great tour – best part was actually the guides on the bus!

Tender back to the ship – grab some black and white mousse from the International Café and back to the suite to get cleaned up.

We headed out to Vines to see Ryan and Kelvin and get a glass of Sancerre – ok 2 glasses of Sancerre. (Today may be the only day that I did not get my money’s worth on the beverage package. That’s ok – we have two sea days to make up for it.:eek:) Then off to the dining room for dinner. Early night tonight, we are wiped. Back to the suite to watch an episode of GOT and then bed

What an amazing report you are writing. I am really enjoying it. Congrats on your Window Suite. It sounds amazing. I'm sorry to hear about the debris in Roatan. I was there in 2009 and did a private tour around the island. I did notice a little bit of trash but nothing like you have described. My friend and I loved Roatan and kept remarking on how beautiful it was. I'm sorry to hear that they may not be keeping up the island. Not good for tourism.

I look forward to reading more of your reports.

• 5 weeks later...
Love your review!!

Couple of questions:

Do the windows open for fresh air?

Were they clean or salt sprayed all the time?

The windows do not open, you cannot defenestrate.

Are you familiar with the condition of the windows in the midship dining rooms on Decks 5 and Deck 6? They are identical to these - thick glass. We have had nice views, but if you have wind and spray there will be salt spray on them.