Escargot?

PatriciaF

I've got plenty in my garden if anyone wants them - free

Slugs too, if you prefer them already shelled;)

Ewww...

This thread reminds me of the time when I was in my early 20's & had a new job in the airline industry.. My Mom was from the old school who insisted I eat everything set before me..

I was on my first trip to Belgium with my new DH who happened to be of Italian descent.. He once mentioned that his Mother made delicious escarole.. I didn't know what escarole was, but made a mental note to try to learn how to make it..

The first night in Brussels, we got all dressed up & went to a fancy French restaurant.. I saw escargot on the menu & thinking it was the French way of spelling escarole, I ordered it.. It came beautifully prepared & I had my first escargot thoroughly enjoying it..

At that point I mentioned that I would have loved to try his mothers escarole as these were delicious..

DH laughed & said "Honey you are eating SNAILS" I gently put my fork down & have not eaten escargot since..

I love clams & oysters on the half shell & also love escarole, but can't get past that first night eating SNAILS...:eek:!

Perhaps someday in my old age, I'll try it again..

Betty

P.S. My new DH ate the rest of my escargot! :)

Hah, my husband always does this in reverse. He'll go to the dining room, get like 2 escargot there, then go up to the Lido and get the escargot there too.

One time he even ordered it for room service for a triple threat.

I have NEVER seen Escargot in the Lido..................who are you trying to fool here? NEVER ever

Escargot is simply French for snails. It is considered pretentious to use "escargot" if you're an English speaker;)

If one is ordering from the menu on which the dish is offered as 'escargot', one is pretentious to order what the dish is named by the Chef who prepared not only the menu but the food as well? :confused:

I would have to disagree in this case. If that is the name that suited the Chef, that is the name one would be expected to use. No?

Someone would have to pay me a large amount of money to induce me to eat escargot. :eek:

That's too bad. You don't know what you're missing. Reminds me of when I was about 10 years old and saw the lobsters swimming around in a tank for the first time. It was several years before I could go back to eating them.

On my New England cruise, I ate lobster in almost every port.

That's too bad. You don't know what you're missing. Reminds me of when I was about 10 years old and saw the lobsters swimming around in a tank for the first time. It was several years before I could go back to eating them.

On my New England cruise, I ate lobster in almost every port.

Imo, the poster is missing nothing. Just because you like it doesn't mean everyone will. I can't imagine why people enjoy eating slugs. On the westy, the amuse bouche (sp) in the pinnacle was something made with those slugs. I absolutely hate when people waste food. They brought it and ran off before i could say no so i ate some of it. Yuk! This was my second time eating these slugs.

I still hate them. Feel free to eat my share.

Edited by cruz chic

Imo, the poster is missing nothing. Just because you like it doesn't mean everyone will. I can't imagine why people enjoy eating slugs. On the westy, the amuse bouche (sp) in the pinnacle was something made with those slugs. I absolutely hate when people waste food. They brought it and ran off before i could say no so i ate some of it. Yuk! This was my second time eating these slugs.

I still hate them. Feel free to eat my share.

WOW ! That's the first time I've been flamed here for my opinion. I guess there's a first time for everyone.

WOW ! That's the first time I've been flamed here for my opinion. I guess there's a first time for everyone.

Im sorry you took that as flaming. It certainly wasn't meant that way. Im just trying to explain that not everyone likes everything and i think that should be ok, shouldn't it?

Escargot is simply French for snails. It is considered pretentious to use "escargot" if you're an English speaker;)

Been on lots of cruises and dine occasionally at high end restaurants, must all be pretentious because all offer escargot, not snails.

Do you start with snails and Sauvignon White and then move on to Rooster Wine with Pinot Black?

Pudding burned for dessert perhaps? :)

Pretentiously ordered as Escargot & Sauvignon Blanc, Coq au Vin & Pinot Noir, with Crème Brûlée for dessert.

Are you sure it's not more pretentious to translate menu items into English because that's what you speak? It's just so confusing. Wonder what the French waiters think?

Edited by POA1

I have some friends who are of the "if mommy didn't cook it, it's not good to eat" persuasion. They won't try anything new. Some won't eat snails, sushi, etc. I even know a couple of folks who won't eat relatively common foods like duck or lamb, again because they were not exposed to it in their childhood. Not limited to protein. I know one guy who won't even try eggplant or Brussels sprouts for the same reason.

Well, my mommy didn't serve snails or sushi or many other foods that now, in my adult years, I LOVE to eat!! I can think of a very few foods that I don't like the taste of....but at least I tasted them. And add me to the list of the ones that order extra snails on last formal night -- as well as telling my waiter to forget the steak but give me two lobsters.

Just sayin' :)

I have some friends who are of the "if mommy didn't cook it, it's not good to eat" persuasion. They won't try anything new. Some won't eat snails, sushi, etc. I even know a couple of folks who won't eat relatively common foods like duck or lamb, again because they were not exposed to it in their childhood. Not limited to protein. I know one guy who won't even try eggplant or Brussels sprouts for the same reason.

Well, my mommy didn't serve snails or sushi or many other foods that now, in my adult years, I LOVE to eat!! I can think of a very few foods that I don't like the taste of....but at least I tasted them. And add me to the list of the ones that order extra snails on last formal night -- as well as telling my waiter to forget the steak but give me two lobsters.

Just sayin' :)

At the risk of getting accued of flaming when I'm not, i havent tasted worms or grasshoppers and i'm quite sure i wont like them. If people don't want to try something please explain how that is a problem? Some folks are not adventuresome with food. Some of the nicest people i know are "picky". I prefer to get to know people rather than have opinions on them for what they will or will not try. Please help me understand why its a big deal because clearly there is something I'm missing. Just sayin'.

Edited by cruz chic

Im sorry you took that as flaming. It certainly wasn't meant that way. Im just trying to explain that not everyone likes everything and i think that should be ok, shouldn't it?

Yes, of course that should be OK. I was just stating that IMO they were missing out on something good. My opinion and not everyone has to agree or eat escargot. More for me.

Yes, of course that should be OK. I was just stating that IMO they were missing out on something good. My opinion and not everyone has to agree or eat escargot. More for me.

You are more than welcome to eat my share:).

:) ^^ Yes.

Do you start with snails and Sauvignon White and then move on to Rooster Wine with Pinot Black?

Pudding burned for dessert perhaps? :)

Pretentiously ordered as Escargot & Sauvignon Blanc, Coq au Vin & Pinot Noir, with Crème Brûlée for dessert.

Are you sure it's not more pretentious to translate menu items into English because that's what you speak? It's just so confusing. Wonder what the French waiters think?

By all means use French if ordering in France. It doesn't make snails taste any nicer for me:eek:

Actually, crème brulee translates as burnt cream, not pudding:D

Here endeth the French lesson for today:cool:

I prefer to get to know people rather than have opinions on them for what they will or will not try. Please help me understand why its a big deal because clearly there is something I'm missing. Just sayin'.

As far as "getting to know people", please note that I used the term "friends" in my OP. And I never said that it was a "big deal".

The friends and I have gotten over our discrepancies in eating habits years ago. On Friday I went to lunch with a non-duck eater to a Thai restaurant for my favorite dish, "Golden Duck". Jim also likes the food there so he ordered a chicken dish that he loves. No comments were made to each other about our choices, we've both known about them for decades (literally). And all of the friends that I referred to in my OP will accompany me to any sushi place where they can get tempura or many of the cooked-fish sushi choices that are available. They don't mind watching me eat sashimi.

I guess what I mean was that my OP wasn't a value judgment, just an observation. And no offense taken at your post.

Fair winds and following seas to you. Only two more weeks 'til I board the lovely Amsterdam!!

By all means use French if ordering in France. It doesn't make snails taste any nicer for me:eek:

Actually, crème brulee translates as burnt cream, not pudding:D

Here endeth the French lesson for today:cool:

You know I was joking, right? In context, Crème is more akin to custard. I liked puddin' better, though. :)