Best time to book flights to SJU?

Platypus_72

We'll be flying from Minneapolis to San Juan. We're sailing on Jewel of the Seas January 3. We're planning on flying down on January 2 because Minnesota winters are unpredictable and this winter was full of snowstorms. I've started looking at flights are they are about $600/person. Does anyone know the best time to book flights or when prices are typically the lowest? How far out do you typically book your precruise flights? I'm expecting that flights will still be a little pricey since it's so close to New Years. I really don't want to pay $600! Curse MSP for being one of the most expensive places to fly out of :eek:

I'm on the same sailing and was wondering the same thing. I read recently that 58 days was the "magic" mark for domestic flights. However, this is obviously complicated by the fact that it's near the holidays and outside the continental US.

I'm going to wait until Southwest releases their schedule so that I can compare fares and then book around then.

Honestly, I flew from Boston to SJU this past January for a Carnival Valor cruise. I booked as soon as the flights were available on Jet Blue and the cost of the flights never went down. I'm again sailing out of SJU in November for the Carnival Splendor repo cruise and again booked my flights as soon as Jet Blue released them. The flights have gone up within a few days. The week before I could have had a great deal with American but didn't book because I like nonstop flights.

With my experience, booking as early as possible seems to be the best. I would book flights that seem affordable for you with the times that work and never look back.

We'll be flying from Minneapolis to San Juan. We're sailing on Jewel of the Seas January 3. We're planning on flying down on January 2 because Minnesota winters are unpredictable and this winter was full of snowstorms. I've started looking at flights are they are about $600/person. Does anyone know the best time to book flights or when prices are typically the lowest? How far out do you typically book your precruise flights? I'm expecting that flights will still be a little pricey since it's so close to New Years. I really don't want to pay $600! Curse MSP for being one of the most expensive places to fly out of :eek:

That's abusive. I'm paying a little over $600.00 to fly from San Juan to Copenhagen! I know that doesn't help you, but for comparison's sake.

As mentioned before, book as early as possible or try a stop or two at the major airports that service San Juan (DFW, ORD, JFK, EWR, ATL, MIA).

I and a group of friends are going out of SJU on January 18 (so I know, a couple of weeks different), but we just got tickets from MSP on American for $350 each (one connection through Charlotte).

Would have much rather flown direct on Delta, but they're prices have been going up instead of down, and we just couldn't pass on these. I didn't check to see if your dates were available at the same rate, but may be worth a look. Val

That's abusive. I'm paying a little over $600.00 to fly from San Juan to Copenhagen! I know that doesn't help you, but for comparison's sake.

As mentioned before, book as early as possible or try a stop or two at the major airports that service San Juan (DFW, ORD, JFK, EWR, ATL, MIA).

Holy cow! :eek: I knew $600 was bad, but it's crazy to think it costs nearly the same to fly from Europe! I will definitely be waiting for prices to come down.