Laundry Question

Ottermom

We leave for an Alaska Cruisetour on the Crown Princess in about a week. I really don't want to have to pack for a two week trip. We are on land for 4 days before the ship. Is there a place for me to do laundry at the Princess Lodge in Denali before we board? Also, what are the laundry facilities like on the ship? I have no problem doing a load or two of laundry on the ship if that helps me pack less. Thanks!:)

Edited by Ottermom

Ottermom, please post your experiences on the laundry situation when you get back. I follow you in 3 wks and have heard that the laundry facilities on the Crown were closed at times. Thanks ahead.

I cannot answer your questions concerning laundry on the land part of the tour, but there are laundry facilities on the Crown, and yes they may be closed at times in Alaskan waters, but after a number of Alaska cruises, I can tell you that they are also open quite often, so it is generally not a problem to get laundry done on board. Check with your cabin steward - he or she should be able to tell when the laundry room will be closed. If all else fails, ask at the Passenger Services Desk.

You can count on them being closed if you are in Glacier Bay - that I do remember.

Hi , we did a week land tour last Sept in AK then boarded a Princess ship , I found I did not have time in Denali to do any laundry, I just waited until we got on the ship and found time then to do laundry , not on Glacier Bay day , but there was ample opportunity to do laundry. You can get tokens at the Pursers desk and can get detergent etc in the laundry area , or just pack a few laundry pods to take with. You will be fine. Have a wonderful trip AK is beautiful , you will love it. PS be sure to read the instructions on your land tour information regarding your luggage , and what luggage you can take with you on land tour and what luggage meets you at the ship.

Cori

I recall that there was laundry in the Denali Lodge - near our room, I think. Or maybe we just passed it along our travels to somewhere else. And there was someone who had done cruise first and was now doing the land portion sitting there doing a load. So, yes they have it in that lodge.

When we went on the land then cruise deal, it was a week each. We waited until we got onboard to do our first loads of dirty things. I believe we did it that night too.

Each laundry room has about 4 washers and 4 dryers. You can buy detergent and softeners in a box for about $2 each. (I now travel with the three in one sheets I found at Amazon) so no need to buy boxes. Each washer and dryer takes $2 in quarters to make them go! There are coin machines in the room but sometimes they run out. You can always go to the front desk to get quarters if you need to. (We always just bring a roll or two.)

I too have heard that due to the environment, there are times that the laundry room will be closed while at sea. I am sure the times they won't be open will posted somewhere, in the patter or on the door to the rooms. We will be heading to Alaska too at the end of summer, so can't tell you. But maybe you can tell us when you get back.

The washer takes about 35-40 minutes and the dryers about the same time. I think I can be in with dirty clothes and out with clean in about 90 minutes. I have a wonderful DH who will bring me a drink during the time but also bring a book for when alone. (I don't like to leave our things unattended.)

Above all, have a great cruise! You will love Alaska. Just remember, animals do not pose for the photos! :D

I did our laundry the first afternoon--before the ship sailed from Whittier--when we did our cruise tour two years ago. We were fortunate to get to the ship before a lot of other passengers (but not early enough for lunch in the dining room).

If you do your laundry on the ship, be sure to check out the deck plans. I made the mistake of using the one on our deck, which was at the opposite end of the ship. It would have been closer to use the one a couple of decks below ours. I figured this out, however, after I had started.