Hiking recommendations for Denali NP

theloo

On day 1 we will be taking an early shuttle to Eielson. We would like to do a 2-hour hike there (either a ranger hike or the Thorofare Ridge trail). If there is time, we would like to stop somewhere on the shuttle ride back and walk/hike for 1-2 hours. Any particular area we should stop? Near Toklat? I can't seem to find any hiking suggestions on the NPS website for Toklat.

On day 2, we would like to visit the sled dogs at 10, so we either have to take the shuttle at 9:20, or walk out there. Based on the map, the Roadside and Rock Creek trails go out there. Has anyone taken either of these? Worth it? We are also considering the Horseshoe Lake Trail. We would have liked to take the Mt. Healy Overlook, but that looks pretty strenuous and we want to leave the park around 2 p.m. Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks :)

tlcoke, I found the newsletter yesterday. They must have just put it out. That's why I was asking if anyone had been on the Horseshoe Lake or Rock Creek trails.

mapleleaves, I've gone through a few pages of questions and don't see much on good places to stop between Eielson & Savage River. Maybe I'm not looking for the right terms or topics?

tlcoke, I found the newsletter yesterday. They must have just put it out. That's why I was asking if anyone had been on the Horseshoe Lake or Rock Creek trails.

I think they just posted it yesterday, as that is when they announced it on their FB page.

mapleleaves, I've gone through a few pages of questions and don't see much on good places to stop between Eielson & Savage River. Maybe I'm not looking for the right terms or topics?

I suggested that you look under TOP QUESTIONS. The very first line provides a dozen hikes between Savage River and Eielson. The 2nd line provides more details on a couple of those hikes.

Although we didn’t do a lot of hiking when we hopped off the bus here, a neat place to explore is at the East fork Toklat River between Sable and Polychrome pass. There is an Artist-in-Residence cabin there and you might be able to see one of the artists painting the landscape along the river and the cabin in which they live for 10 days.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/historyculture/arts-program.htm

You could always do the Mt. Healy trail which starts near the Visitor Center. I did it in September of 2008. It's about 3.5 miles each way and you climb around 2,500 feet or so total.

Here is how the start of the trail looks:

Trail6.jpg

At the first high overlook:

MtHealyMe1.jpg

Getting higher:

Trail1.jpg

Looking back at the trail:

Trail5.jpg

And near the peak:

Trail4.jpg

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
I just got "Denali NP Guide to Hiking, Photography and Camping" by Ike Waits. Someone had published a link to it in this forum. Has a lot of info about various spots to hikes in all areas.

http://denaliguidebook.com/

Is it worth it just to look for one or two hikes? My library doesn't have it. I need to borrow it from you ;)

Is it worth it just to look for one or two hikes? My library doesn't have it. I need to borrow it from you ;)

Perhaps your library district will transfer a copy for you??

My town's library is rather small so when i want a book they don't have, the book is transferred from another branch within the county.

Perhaps your library district will transfer a copy for you??

My town's library is rather small so when i want a book they don't have, the book is transferred from another branch within the county.

The county doesn't have it and they partner with a bunch of libraries all over Northern California and they don't have it either :(

buy it used on amazon?

Since you're only talking about a short hike, talk to the rangers when you get there ... tell them how much time you have, your experience, what you want to see/do etc and they will help you out. The bus drivers can also be a great source of information. Have a great trip!

The book has an overview (the important points you can probably get on the nps.gov site for Denali.) It also provides about 60 hikes in various spots, following 'social trails' (i.e., trails that people and animals have made by repeated walking), giving conditions, how to follow the outlined route, etc. If you're off to do only a short hike, I think you can easily get by on your own by getting off wherever strikes your fancy (which is what we will probably end up doing, anyway!) We'll be in the area for 5 days. Planning on doing Little Coal Creek in Denali *State* Park, then 4 days in Denali *National* Park (staying up in Healy). Whatever day has the clearest weather, we'll go all the way out to Wonder Lake and hike up to the ridges. The other days, we'd like to do something in the Polychrome Basin or ridges (best area for spotting wolves, according to the book), Thoro Ridge or something else around the Elieson area, and then something near the entrance or Savage River for the day we don't have shuttle tickets.

The Alpine/Thorofare ridge hike from Eielson seems to be fairly straightforward and I found a simple trail map which will probably suffice with advice from the rangers. Ditto on the trails around the entrance.

Mostly, I'm trying to decide where between those two to stop: Polychrome or Toklat or some other place? We are in good physical shape and can do moderate-strenuous hikes, but if we do Thorofare, we probably wont want to do another strenuous hike the same day. So, a 2-3 hour moderate, yet scenic hike would be ideal. :) Does anything fit the bill???

So, a 2-3 hour moderate, yet scenic hike would be ideal. :) Does anything fit the bill???

Yeah, lots. :p

I'm in the same boat (well, on the same shuttle...) So many gorgeous places. Do you want the best chance at wildlife? Down in a basin. Want to climb and see the mountains? Any ridge, I guess. I don't think you can go wrong whatever you pick.

The Alpine/Thorofare ridge hike from Eielson seems to be fairly straightforward and I found a simple trail map which will probably suffice with advice from the rangers. Ditto on the trails around the entrance.

Mostly, I'm trying to decide where between those two to stop: Polychrome or Toklat or some other place? We are in good physical shape and can do moderate-strenuous hikes, but if we do Thorofare, we probably wont want to do another strenuous hike the same day. So, a 2-3 hour moderate, yet scenic hike would be ideal. :) Does anything fit the bill???

As mapleleaves said, talk with the rangers. Also, the shuttle bus drivers are a wealth of information on hiking in the park. Generally for a 2-3 hour moderate hike get off the bus on the open tundra and head out. You will cover 2-3 miles in that time. Be sure to bring a shuttle bus schedule with you so you know the approximate times the buses will come.

• 4 weeks later...

We are just back from our (land only) trip, which included 4 days up in Denali.

One neat (and very accessible) place to hike is to continue into the canyon at the far end of the short Savage River trail. Lots of people walk the short river trail, but if you hike into the canyon, you'll have it to yourselves. There's a trail (not so well developed) that continues on the western bank. There may be one on the eastern bank as well; I don't know. Also, hiking the Alpine Trail above Savage River (which we did early that morning) - start early, before most people show up. There were 2 Dall Sheep within a few 10's of yards from the trail up in the meadow.

We did not get to hike Thorofare, as it was closed for bear activity (a mama and her 2 cubs, in plain view from Eielson), but we did explore in the tundra area there, and also walk further in on the road (the shuttles weren't going beyond Eielson for 2 more days).

We did hike the Polychrome Basin. Getting down on the south side of the bridge was a challenge. There's a shallow draw up the road about 1/4 mile from the west side of the East Fork Bridge that can be bushwhacked. Got surprised by a pair of ptarmigan - neat to see so close. Also, a big red fox went right by us on the road (and helped to convince us we could get down the hill).

Did not hike out at Wonder Lake - that was a long day, plus the mountain wasn't out. We did a fair amount of hiking on the trails around the entrance. Moose right on the trail between the WAC and Park HQ. (Also a mother and 2 calves right in the WAC parking lot! It's amazing how so cute a calf grows up to be a homely moose!)

Also hiked Little Coal Creek at Denali STATE Park (around mile marker 164 on the Parks Highway.) Nice hike; unfortunately, Denali not showing itself that day, either (we did get two days when it was out), but the near range was still spectacular.

Edited by azevedan