Need help – Just left a piece of jewelry in the room safe.

Love Cruis'n

Just got off the Coral Princess Sat AM, and we’re 99% sure we left a piece of jewelry in the room safe. None of the phone numbers I had for Princess were answered over the weekend.

Experienced Princess folks – please help – what action do you suggest for first thing Monday morning – or sooner if possible.

Thanks so much.

Terry

PS - GREAT cruise – but just in the door - will post more later.

Thanks, Largin.

I just fired off an email - now it's back to unpacking.

By the way, I know you are a big fan of the Coral - and now I can see why - WOW - what a great ship, crew, and itenerary. Much more later.

Thaks again. :)

Terry

Hi there,:)

Hopefully you'll get a reply from the ship via email. On Mon. be sure to call the office in California, they might have a record of all Lost and Found Items. The ship boxes up all the items and ships them to the Ca. office.

;)

On our Island cruise in March, we found a wallet thing under the bed. It contained credit cards, uncashed checks written out to them, checks on their account that had not been signed, prescriptons for controlled substances, and a $100 bill. We turned it into the purser. I also called the number on the checks, from Hawaii, to let them know that we had turned it in, and left my cell phone number for them to contact me. We never heard a word. I sure hope that they got it back, because it would have been very easy for me to pocket that $100 bill. Who would have known? The purser was apologetic, saying that the steward should have cleaned better, but I have always wondered if they got their money back???

Rest assured, there are honest people in this world!!

That she is... Can't wait until next May for our next Coral cruise.. BTW.. Did you get to meet and talk to Generoso, the Maitre' D?

We, also, just got off the Coral Princess...and yes, I did meet Generoso and speak with him. After seeing him do a culinary demo (really funny interplay with the Executive Chef), he was in the anytime dining room that lunchtime. I met him and spoke with him. I told him I had read a lot of very positive things about him on this board. He did not know about it, but was pleased to hear it.

On the second or third day or a cruise we couldn't get the safe door to close. There was a diamond ring in the safe between the door and the wall. We turned it into the pursers desk. If the people from the previous cruise had called in a day or two after their cruise, they would have been told nothing had been found.

On our Island cruise in March, we found a wallet thing under the bed. It contained credit cards, uncashed checks written out to them, checks on their account that had not been signed, prescriptons for controlled substances, and a $100 bill. We turned it into the purser. I also called the number on the checks, from Hawaii, to let them know that we had turned it in, and left my cell phone number for them to contact me. We never heard a word. I sure hope that they got it back, because it would have been very easy for me to pocket that $100 bill. Who would have known? The purser was apologetic, saying that the steward should have cleaned better, but I have always wondered if they got their money back???

Rest assured, there are honest people in this world!!

dobie, how honerable! I commend you! There are still honest people left in the world and I think what you did was wonderful. I also would have to turn whatever I found in to the purser, no way I could keep it and be able to live with myself. Let's just hope that everything got back to it's rightful owner!

We were on the Caribbean Princess this last February and found a VISA card in our safe. Turned it into the pursar's office immediately. I'm certain that person realized it before they even left Florida.

One thing for certain...never hand mail to the pursar's desk. We had some mail to send home w/important info inside. It had the correct postage and it was delivered 4 months later!!!

Pat

I can't believe that the room Steward would not find any items left behind in the safe,even if it isn't opened as they make sure they are ready to go for the next person. Its easy to leave things behind, but a piece of jewerly, I keep mine on at all times.:confused: :(

I left an ivory cribbage board behind in a drawer one time. When I got home and discovered I had done so, I called Princess and asked for lost and found. I described the item, etc. They said that Princess boxes up things from the ship that have been left behind and sends them to the office in Santa Clarita. I also e-mailed Princess using the form found in the FAQ section of the Personalizer. I talked to the lost and found dept. several times. She even said she e-mailed the ship when the board did not appear in the items left behind. They told her that they didn't find it. :( This was the first time that DH and myself didn't check every drawer, etc. Wouldn't you know!!

I can't believe that the room Steward would not find any items left behind in the safe,even if it isn't opened as they make sure they are ready to go for the next person. Its easy to leave things behind, but a piece of jewerly, I keep mine on at all times.:confused: :(

I can understand it, I have never slept with my engagement, wedding or anniversary bands on.

I take my rings off every night both at home and away, my diamond is fairly raised and it could scratch me in my sleep and be uncomfortable. I also bring quite a bit of other nice jewelry with me when I travel that i keep in the safe. I have left costume stuff behind before but thankfully nothing of real value.

I also do not wear them when we are touring as I do not want to invite theives, nor would I wear them snorkeling as the flash attracts barracudas, so there are many times when my jewelry is in the safe....

Largin,

You are the best!! :)

I just got an email from Dawn Fraser the front desk supervisor on the Coral, and they have the item. I just sent her back a big thank-you, with shipping instructions. Next is my appreciation to you for providing the email address for the Coral. Ironically, Dawn’s mail arrived within minutes of the lost & found application that Princess was to send me yesterday :( - But this is a happy occasion.

Thanks again to you, and all at Cruise Critic who contribute in so many meaningful ways to helping each other enjoy the art of cruis’n.

Thanks, all. :)

Terry

I'm so glad you had a happy ending, Terry! I read once here online that someone said to carefully check the safe...run your fingers around the front, as there is a lip that jewelry can slide into. Our last cruise on the Brilliance last Feb, I did just that and found a man's diamond ring. Nothing spectacular, but thought "what if it belonged to somone's father and was truly treasured". Of course I turned it in. I believe there are still a LOT of honest people around.

I related the incident at our dinner table and the next night one tablemate came to dinner with a ring on that they found in the lip in THEIR safe! This one was an obvious costume piece, but the odds ..... 2 safes out of 5 at our table.... makes you think, doesn't it!

Go ahead everyone, check your safe carefully! I hope you turn in anything you find, no matter how insignificant it may seem, it may be precious to someone!

Coolcruise, mhcruisers, and Langle, you just prove my point that there are a lot of honest people in this world!!

Terry, I am so glad that you got your jewelry back, another honest person turned it in!!

Largin, does that email (adjusted for ships) work for all ships?

Toto, thanks, but I did what I think most of us would do!

I did that email thing to a ship and hoped they gave it to the passenger. They did forward my message on to the pass., but they did inform me that was not the way to contact a pass. on a ship and gave me the 900 number. I guess it would be a full time job for someone to deliver messages all day on a big ship.

We were on the Caribbean Princess this last February and found a VISA card in our safe. Turned it into the pursar's office immediately. I'm certain that person realized it before they even left Florida.

One thing for certain...never hand mail to the pursar's desk. We had some mail to send home w/important info inside. It had the correct postage and it was delivered 4 months later!!!

Pat

Sorry that happened. But keep in mind, the mail from the ship is sent from the first port the pull into. And some island post offices are rather lax...if it was from aboard, it would take even longer if the postage was not that of the country from which it was mailed.

I'm so glad you had a happy ending, Terry! I read once here online that someone said to carefully check the safe...run your fingers around the front, as there is a lip that jewelry can slide into. Our last cruise on the Brilliance last Feb, I did just that and found a man's diamond ring.QUOTE]

So glad Terry's lost ring had a happy ending! I read somewhere on the boards that it's wise to put all your valuables into a zip-lock bag before placing them in the safe...so I'm going to make sure I have one with me just for that :)