Barcelona Pre-Cruise Itinerary

I would love some feedback on our planned pre-cruise itinerary for Barcelona this summer. I have researched the heck out of things to develop this schedule, but I know many of you have great experience and might see an issue that I am not. Also, if there's anything you might add I'm more than happy to take suggestions.

Day 1

-- Land @ 8:30, take bus to Plaza Catalunya and walk to hotel

-- Spend time on Las Ramblas, maybe go to Guell Palace and Boqueria Market

-- 4:30 Runner Bean Old Town tour

Day 2

-- 9:00 Casa Batllo & Passeig de Gracia (and Casa Mila/La Padrera if time)

-- 2:00 Sagrada Familia

-- 4/5:00 Parc Guell (will take taxi)

Day 3

-- 9:00 Picasso Museum

-- 11:00 Basilica de Santa Maria

-- 2:00 embark on cruise ship :)

Two questions....have you ever flown (overnight) internationally before? And have you been to Barcelona before?

We are exhausted and ready to sleep when we arrive in Europe. But knowing we have to fight jet lag we plan our first day as slower. But we stay up as long as we can. We like to do the hop on hop off buses on our days of arrival if available. It gives us some no- energy- needed -time seeing the city and getting ourselves aclimated. Then afterwards we have a meal and then stroll. No planned tours as such. Old town is very fun and we wouldn't sant to do that area when exhausted from the flight. But that is how WE operate. :o Some we know can sleep well on the planes and are raring to go. Not us.

Just give yourselves flexibility to enjoy the city. Have a list of spots, prioritze them and try to see the top few. But if you get detoured to a cool tapas bar or strolling Las Ramblas taking in the atmosphere, don't worry. Will just give you a reason for returning.:)

Good points. We've all done the Europe travel and overnight flight before. It is tough so that's why I left our first day kind of open. There's nothing there that we have to see. I left that for day two.

That's a good point about the HOHO bus the first day. Usually I'm not a fan of those but it might be a good way to both rest and see the sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love some feedback on our planned pre-cruise itinerary for Barcelona this summer. I have researched the heck out of things to develop this schedule, but I know many of you have great experience and might see an issue that I am not. Also, if there's anything you might add I'm more than happy to take suggestions.

Day 1

-- Land @ 8:30, take bus to Plaza Catalunya and walk to hotel

-- Spend time on Las Ramblas, maybe go to Guell Palace and Boqueria Market

-- 4:30 Runner Bean Old Town tour

Day 2

-- 9:00 Casa Batllo & Passeig de Gracia (and Casa Mila/La Padrera if time)

-- 2:00 Sagrada Familia

-- 4/5:00 Parc Guell (will take taxi)

Day 3

-- 9:00 Picasso Museum

-- 11:00 Basilica de Santa Maria

-- 2:00 embark on cruise ship :)

Thanks for mentioning runner bean free old town tours. I just booked a 4:30 for the four of us arriving early on a Saturday from the east coast.

We find that if we pretend it is morning when we arrive and act like it is a regular day, we adjust to the time difference quickly. This strategy even worked on a flight to Australia a few years ago, although we did leave from the west coast.

We have been to Barcelona previously. Your itinerary is very doable and is similar to what we plan. The other couple we are going width have not been to Barcelona previously so we are doing these sights again with them.

We find that if we pretend it is morning when we arrive and act like it is a regular day, we adjust to the time difference quickly.

That's the strategy we use. If we were to sit on the HOHO bus for any length of time, both my husband and I would fall asleep en route. We need to stay in the sun as much as possible -- we've found daylight speeds up a reset of our internal clocks -- and strolling leisurely just enjoying the sights works best for us. In Barcelona, that might include walking along La Rambla (possibly visiting the Boqueria), strolling the streets of the Gothic Quarter, strolling outdoors in Park Guell or strolling the seaside/Olympic area in Barceloneta.

If you must nap, do so for no longer than 45 minutes so you don't mess up the progress you've achieved resetting your internal clock. Eat a wonderful dinner and head back to the hotel.

Thanks everyone. I know that one of our group especially has had trouble with jet lag in the past, so nothing on the first day is absolutely "must do" in our eyes. Even the free tour we can cancel at the last minute.