which places are easy to do DIY - spirit med 2015

fragilek

OK so we have finally just about decided to do the NCL spirit instead of the RCI vision as it adds Istanbul and Venice to the itinerary but sadly swaps Santorini for Mykonos.

The problem is with the added ports is added costs for our party of 4 (me DH DD 22 and DD18). I need to try an minimise the cost as much as possible to make this choice affordable.

Is plan below easy to do - any info appreciated

Toulon- walk or taxi to nearest nice town to walk around

Livorno- Train to Florence - diy tour using guide books and preplaned route

Rome - Train to Rome - again preplaned visit. Tour by guide books (been for week before but our girls haven't)

Naples- Train to Pompeii (may do NCL tour here to see Amalfi coast and pompeii)

Mykonos- hopefully nice villages or beaches to visit nearby-taxi-???doable

Istanbul- DIY or NCL - advise needed here at bit apprehensive about doing this DIY.

Kusadasi- Water park (been to Ephesus before)

Athens- Have no idea how to do DYI - May need NCL tour

Venice- Know it quite well so will just wonder as far away from st Marks square (and the masses) as possible lol

You can definitely tour around Florence & Rome on your own, unless you prefer to learn some extra details only a local guide could give you. Just give yourself ample time with the trains in Italy. Many of the faster trains are on time but not always so for the local slower trains. Check return hours for any changes that might be made that day as well.

Enjoy your cruise!

Athens is actually one of the easier cities to do on your own, as it's fairly close to port (compared to Rome and Florence), compact, and easy to get around - we have accessed it both by taxi and train. Rome (use the subway!) and Pompeii extremely easy on your own (I suggest you hire a private guide at the entrance to Pompeii, worth every cent). We did Ephesus from Kusadasi, but did a wandering tour on our second visit to Izmir - can't help with the water park. Can't help with Istanbul, sorry. Your other port plans look good!

In Livorno, going to Florence the first time was a huge highlight for us and we had a lot we wanted to see (we have since gone back a few times by land). This was one port where we felt hiring a private driver and guide was well worth the cost. We got there quickly, our guide bypassed every line (HUGE timesaver), and we managed to get everything done, plus we ended completely across town from our start point with the car waiting for our tired bones lol.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

We did the Med from Barcelona to Italy, France and back to Barcelona so can only comment on a few ports.

For Italy we booked thru our Roll Call small shared trips, 8 total people in a small van so driving was easier, stopping at off the beaten path a lot easier and we paid the driver at the end of the trip.

It was much cheaper than NCL plus NCL is a big huge bus and the small van had trouble on the narrow roads I can't imagine how the big buses made it!

We did this for Naples, they drove us down the coast stopping often for pictures and to shop in Sorrento, including lunch overlooking the coast than drove us to Pompeii which we did on our own.

Rome and Pisa we used the same company, I think it was share a shore in Italy, or something like that but it was easy to sign up and inexpensive and easier than worrying about trains and taxi's plus our drivers all spoke English and told us lots of interesting things!

For Athens, our usual plan is to take a taxi to the Acropolis, walk up to the Theatre of Dionysus and Parthenon and self-guide a tour, see all the views and Zeus Temple, Roman Stadium, etc from up there. Then we walk down the other side to the Roman and Ancient Agoras, and self-guide there as well. Then we have late lunch on the other side, maybe do some shopping, etc, and take the train back to port. Very easy itinerary.

Also, after visiting Pompeii, you can continue on the train to Sorrento for a nice afternoon lunch, shopping, views, and return to Naples by either train or ferry. We have done the Amalfi Coast by car and found the traffic unbearable..

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Toulon is one if my favourites. Free water taxi from ship. Where they drop you off are lovely cafés and just walk across the road and you can wander through the quaint alleys full of shops. Has such a lovely relaxing atmosphere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Istanbul-

You can DIY the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque and Topkapi Palace. They are near each other about an hour walk to cheap taxi drive from the ship.

Athens-

Hop on Hop off bus about 5 minutes walk from port. Don't believe the taxi drivers who tell you isn't not running today. It will stop at all the main sites.

Istanbul-

You can DIY the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque and Topkapi Palace. They are near each other about an hour walk to cheap taxi drive from the ship.

Athens-

Hop on Hop off bus about 5 minutes walk from port. Don't believe the taxi drivers who tell you isn't not running today. It will stop at all the main sites.

Just to add that you can catch the tram from near the port to the historic area, in which Hagia Sophia and Blue mosque are situated, also near Topkapi, it's 3tl per journey. I am planning to visit Hagia Sophia and Sulemanye Mosque on tram with possible Blue Mosque. Good site for info here..http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Sights/Sultanahmet/TopkapiSaray.html

Instead of Pompeii you can go to Herculaneum, its shadier and fewer people so no crowds and heat LOL. You can do this on your own on the train, its not difficult at all my 80 year old parents navigated this without a hitch.

I think the train ticket was only about 8 euros .... very inexpensive!!

ALSO please please go to the PORTS OF CALL boards in the subfolder Europe, you will get all kinds of information on your ports and what to see and what is DYI, as well as information on tour guides. It is a fabulous source of information.