norwegian = worst customer service department ever

accmiller

Maybe. But you did use the other room. You had the best nights sleep there. The staff had to clean and make that bed/room.

At this point, knowing these threads are being read/monitored by NCL - I must agree with the other OP. Why and for what incentive would NCL have to offer you anything at this point.....knowing full well you're not ever going to cruise with them again and tell others not to.

Bottom line.....NCL screwed up.....either because they didn't know the proper ages of your children if you didn't tell them or because they just did. At the end of the day, you had a very nice family vacation, although the sleeping arrangement wasn't as anticipated.

Harriet

We paid for something that wasn't delivered. Whether I choose to come back or not shouldn't be a factor. What should be a factor is doing what is right and making right their screw-up.

I'd have to disagree...there is no "cost of the 2nd room" to refund. The charge was for the PEOPLE, not the room. All four people got to go on the cruise and should have to pay their fare. After all, everybody did eat the food and use the ship's amenities. Plus....even if you didn't use the room, by having it you prevented them from selling it to someone else.

You have to be kidding me. They screwed up by basically putting the rooms on separate sides of the ship and telling us they were right next to each other. According to your logic I should pay extra because we tied up a room that wasn't used???

I totally agree that it was the job of the NCL rep to know where the cabin doors open, and I think it's very sad that some folks on here have tried to blame the OP. The NCL rep specifically picked the cabins and recommended this cabin arrangement.

Sadly, NCL does not give the reps sufficient info to do their jobs. Several years ago, we were going to book a balcony cabin on the Jewel that was pretty far forward. I wanted to be sure that it was NOT one of the "hull" (partially enclosed) balconies, the existence of which is not shown on the deck plans; I only knew about them thanks to Cruise Critic. I asked my PCC about this; he said that the deck plans that THEY have don't give them this info either! But he then sent an email to the ship (!) and they had someone go up to the cabin we were considering and confirm that it was a regular, not hull, balcony. (That was some great service from him. Too bad he's gone now.)

But my point is that pax should be able to rely on an NCL rep when the rep selects a cabin specifically for a certain purpose, and it's unfortunate that the one with whom the OP dealt didn't have the right info and/or wasn't properly trained. That's not the OP's fault.

We paid for something that wasn't delivered. Whether I choose to come back or not shouldn't be a factor. What should be a factor is doing what is right and making right their screw-up.

Oh...my bad...I obviously misunderstood. Did they try to give you rooms other than those that were on your booking contract? I certainly would hope that they gave you the two room numbers that were specified in your contract.

You have to be kidding me. They screwed up by basically putting the rooms on separate sides of the ship and telling us they were right next to each other. According to your logic I should pay extra because we tied up a room that wasn't used???

They didn't put the rooms on different sides of the ship...thats where they were in the design, and that is where they were built in the shipyard. NOBODY said you should pay extra. Where did you get extra from? You booked two rooms because YOU WANTED two rooms and you should pay only for the two rooms that YOU booked.

I know you have tried to call, but have you sent a letter to NCL? I would try to look up the address for the corporate office and send a letter outlining your situation. I also think you are due some compensation.

I agree that a letter should be sent to corporate. No name calling, just facts, and explanation of what you want.

Wow, what a screw up in NCLs part and shame on them for not getting back to you. My concern is that cancellation fee. How much was it? It seems like you should be asking for that back as well. Did you go from a mini suite down to a balcony or was your second cabin also a mini suite?

My experience with cruises is that they are glorious places and a heavenly way to vacation - until there's a problem, and then you find out how little they care about you.

Why should a customer have to find so many places to call/email/mail to just talk to someone who can help remedy the situation? That's most frustrating for me to hear. You can call a PCC, call NCL, call NCL Miami and speak to a supervisor, email the socialmedia, post on facebook etc... How about placing one phone call to customer service? It should be this complicated. I too had what I thought would be a simple issue to resolve and it turned into a several day fiasco with long waits on the phone and not returned phone calls. Ugh!

I feel for the OP in their situation. Even if NCL has nothing to gain they should do the right thing and provide some compensation.

The only part of the issue that I understand is their inability to do anything once on board. Unlike airplanes, hotels and cruise ships don't move other customers to accommodate someone. So if the ship was sold out, there was nothing they *could* do.

Something still just doesn't seem right. There is no way that NCL allows two underage people to have a room. So, that makes me believe that there is no way NCL new that the kids were 14 and 6. I've asked the OP in another post if he'd told the rep their ages but have not seen an answer to date.

As they always say.....

there are three sides to the story -

his, hers, and the truth somewhere in between.

I'm outta here!

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Something still just doesn't seem right. There is no way that NCL allows two underage people to have a room without an adult also in the room. So, that makes me believe that there is no way NCL knew that the kids were 14 and 6. I've asked the OP in another post if he'd told the rep their ages but have not seen an answer to date.

As they always say.....

My thoughts too, Harriet!

My thoughts too, Harriet!

You are right. Technically, the kids are each booked with one of the parents. My TA's would tell me that the cruise line may require that an adult stay with each young person. It was never questioned or challenged once we got to the port and requested that they (the kids) be given keys to the adjacent rooms, however. It is done all the time. Just read these boards. We started booking two rooms when they were tweeners/teens. It was too tight with 4 crammed into one stateroom. My "kids" who are now 23 and 26 were good kids who observed their curfews and checked in regularly. It worked well for us.

Edited by roddy good boy
misspelling

Something still just doesn't seem right. There is no way that NCL allows two underage people to have a room. So, that makes me believe that there is no way NCL new that the kids were 14 and 6. I've asked the OP in another post if he'd told the rep their ages but have not seen an answer to date.

As they always say.....

I'm outta here!

Harriet

How could NCL possibly not know the ages of the children? These folks were already booked in a suite so NCL had their info. Last time I checked they wanted DOB's for all guests.

As they always say.....

I'm outta here!

Harriet

See post #39 ... original poster said

they did know and set up the reservation as two reservations. My wife was in one room with one child and I was in the other room with the other child. The rep said "This is how we need to set it up but where everyone sleeps on board isn't our concern."

This is how we booked the Spirit when we took our twin 16 year old granddaughters ... dh and one granddaughter booked in inside and myself and one granddaughter booked in balcony across the hall. We all had key cards for both rooms ... granddaughters slept together in the inside and we had the balcony.

Maybe. But you did use the other room. You had the best nights sleep there. The staff had to clean and make that bed/room.

At this point, knowing these threads are being read/monitored by NCL - I must agree with the other OP. Why and for what incentive would NCL have to offer you anything at this point.....knowing full well you're not ever going to cruise with them again and tell others not to.

Bottom line.....NCL screwed up.....either because they didn't know the proper ages of your children if you didn't tell them or because they just did. At the end of the day, you had a very nice family vacation, although the sleeping arrangement wasn't as anticipated.

Harriet

If NCL is reading this thread, crediting the second cabin , despite the extraordinary effort of making up the bed ONCE and perhaps adding a clean towel....would go a long way in showing all of us reading it that they are behaving like grown ups

To treat new cruisers , especially new cruisers, as they have OP, as the villains, is just bad PR.

How could NCL nor know the ages of the children.????????? The date of birth is required!,,,,,

There is no excuse for what NCL did, they screwed up, accepted zero responsibilit, crammed 4 into a space made for 3.... And, no, the family should not have had to split up each night.

Hey, NCL thread monitoring folks- refund the inside cabin.

And, OP- I certainly hope that you went to customer service and removed the DSC for the second cabin.

Nora

Yep its always the cruise lines fault.

No, but this time it sure as heck is. The OP asked for adjoining cabins, the rep on the phone said, "I've got something better!" and booked these rooms instead, which didn't have entrances anywhere near each other. Who else could be at fault? It's really not that hard.

If NCL is reading this thread, crediting the second cabin , despite the extraordinary effort of making up the bed ONCE and perhaps adding a clean towel....would go a long way in showing all of us reading it that they are behaving like grown ups

To treat new cruisers , especially new cruisers, as they have OP, as the villains, is just bad PR.

How could NCL nor know the ages of the children.????????? The date of birth is required!,,,,,

There is no excuse for what NCL did, they screwed up, accepted zero responsibilit, crammed 4 into a space made for 3.... And, no, the family should not have had to split up each night.

Hey, NCL thread monitoring folks- refund the inside cabin.

And, OP- I certainly hope that you went to customer service and removed the DSC for the second cabin.

Nora

The Service Charge is per person, not per cabin. Why should they have removed the SC for the two booked into the inside cabin? They certainly used sheets and towels no matter where THEY decided to sleep. NCL knew the kids ages....that's why one parent and one child was booked into each cabin. While the PCC screwed up, isn't the OP an adult with a voice capable of saying no I want adjoining cabins? Wasn't much the ship could do about it once they boarded a full ship. The time to complain was immediately after they looked at the deck plan and saw where the corridor was....oh, that's right - they are unable to read deck plans......time to use a reliable TA.

Edited by peg013

first time cruise. I took the time and called norwegian to ask their advice. This is what I got. Yes there is a red line. I am a reasonably intelligent person and I assume the person representing the company I am doing business with knows more about their product than I do. Of course it should have been avoided.

I to had problems with the customer service department so I feel your pain.

I was informed by a PCC that they tell them nothing about the Getaway. She was asking me about the shows and what type of they were. really she did not know detailed information on the product she was selling. I gave her as much information as I could. hopefully she took some notes.

I really hate that it ruined your cruise. Getaway is a fabulous ship, but I can see how that would have been a downer.

There are posters out there that love to point out the NCL "cheerleaders". We need another name for those that think NCL is always wrong even when the facts say otherwise!

The OP clearly stated in post #39 that the PCC clearly told them the kids could not be booked in a room by themselves and the OP agreed to put one parent in each cabin. The PCC was quoted as saying that after they board no one would check up to see who was in each cabin, which is true. The OP claims they didn't know what the red lines and label showing where the corridor was meant, but didn't ask. They asked NCL to change their rooms after boarding on a sold out ship. I wonder at times if adults ever take responsibility for anything in this day and time?? How is NCL the "bad guy"? They changed the OP's room at their request, booked them into two rooms telling them about an adult in each room, and couldn't give them other rooms on a sold out ship.

NCL has a call center that is no better or worse than most every call center in America today! Not saying that poor call centers are a good thing, but minimum wage jobs are what 90% of call centers have today. When you spend thousands and in some cases tens of thousands of dollars, you need to do some due diligence at booking?