Superstar Live Karaoke Gone Completely?

SoCalKJ

My hubby just got off the Imagination this morning - said no Superstar Live. :(

A good friend of mine just got off the Imagination today too....hmmmm...

This doesn't seem fair, now does it?! LOL!

Oh yeah..and BOO on the no SSL. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As enthusiastic karaoke-ers, we hope that Superstar Live will be GONE FOREVER from our favorite ship, provided that the time thereby saved will be devoted to more REAL karaoke.

Superstar Live was TERRIBLE, in our opinion, for multiple reasons:

1. The list of songs (only about 120) was bizarre and crummy, giving us only one song that we really love, plus three or four others that are ho-hum OK. There was an absolute ton of garbage on the list, not worthy of being called songs/music.

2. The band cannot adjust the key of the song (modulate up or down one or more half-steps), the way a skilled karaoke host can do with real karaoke tracks. This makes some songs just about impossible for a male or female passenger to sing. (If they try to sing without a key change, the voice sounds terrible (too low or falsetto).

3. The sound of a band blaring from behind a singer is very unpleasant and disconcerting to a non-professional singer (i.e., a karaoke enthusiast), who is accustomed to hearing the accompaniment coming from speakers in front of him/her.

4. The host/hostess of Superstar Live, a professional singer, hangs around with the band (behind the non-professional passenger), causing even greater discomfort and intimidation for the latter.

5. Few passengers are willing to sing, so the whole thing is very boring.

We don't care why they are dropping it. We are just happy that it is happening.

As enthusiastic karaoke-ers, we hope that Superstar Live will be GONE FOREVER from our favorite ship, provided that the time thereby saved will be devoted to more REAL karaoke.

Superstar Live was TERRIBLE, in our opinion, for multiple reasons:

1. The list of songs (only about 120) was bizarre and crummy, giving us only one song that we really love, plus three or four others that are ho-hum OK. There was an absolute ton of garbage on the list, not worthy of being called songs/music.

2. The band cannot adjust the key of the song (modulate up or down one or more half-steps), the way a skilled karaoke host can do with real karaoke tracks. This makes some songs just about impossible for a male or female passenger to sing. (If they try to sing without a key change, the voice sounds terrible (too low or falsetto).

3. The sound of a band blaring from behind a singer is very unpleasant and disconcerting to a non-professional singer (i.e., a karaoke enthusiast), who is accustomed to hearing the accompaniment coming from speakers in front of him/her.

4. The host/hostess of Superstar Live, a professional singer, hangs around with the band (behind the non-professional passenger), causing even greater discomfort and intimidation for the latter.

5. Few passengers are willing to sing, so the whole thing is very boring.

We don't care why they are dropping it. We are just happy that it is happening.

Karaoke singers are not supposed to be good singers. The whole premise behind karaoke was for drunken Japanese businessmen to entertain other drunken businessmen. Sadly it's turned into a bastardized and Americanized version of the real thing. :p

I was on Sensation last year, and they had Superstar Live. I watched it for about 20 minutes, before I had to dinner (late seating). Don't know if it was one night only, or a regular thing. I think it was held too early to work well; many people need liquid courage, which is usually a late-night thing, and with it being before dinner, people were just too reserved and inhibited when they sang.

I feel neutral about Superstar Live. I'll definitely watch it if nothing more exciting is going on (like a Latin band to dance to), and maybe even get onstage if I had enough Fun Ship Specials, but it's not something that would be a highlight of my cruise. If they eliminate it, I'll tough it out as long as there's another activity available. But karaoke typically attracts a friendly, welcoming crowd, which is always a plus on a cruise, so I'd prefer they keep it.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01