Help me decide between two princess itineraries

bobbisailsolo

I am debating between 2 Northern Europe cruises. The first is a 14 day north cape cruise which sails in June (only 1 date), the other is a 23 day grand adventure combining Norway Iceland and Transatlantic. The 14 day North Cape is about $300 dollars more... It has 9 mine days in port. The TA cruise has 11 days in port... So quite a few sea days. Which would you choose, if time is not an issue. I've always wanted to sail the north cape, but I suppose Iceland would be just as nice? Is the Norway cruise that much better to warrant the higher price? Which would you choose. BTW, I am traveling solo, 60 years old. Keep in mind these are launch rates. I can certainly wait to see if fares drop. All opinions welcome!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am debating between 2 Northern Europe cruises. The first is a 14 day north cape cruise which sails in June (only 1 date), the other is a 23 day grand adventure combining Norway Iceland and Transatlantic. The 14 day North Cape is about $300 dollars more... It has 9 mine days in port. The TA cruise has 11 days in port... So quite a few sea days. Which would you choose, if time is not an issue. I've always wanted to sail the north cape, but I suppose Iceland would be just as nice? Is the Norway cruise that much better to warrant the higher price? Which would you choose. BTW, I am traveling solo, 60 years old. Keep in mind these are launch rates. I can certainly wait to see if fares drop. All opinions welcome!!!!

Hi Bobbi, I have never cruised Princess (not that it matters) but we

are in the same age group..sort of;)....I am 56......which itinerary

do YOU want to do more?....and the 2nd and most important thing

(to me)....if I could sail for 23 days? OMG...I would be on that one

in heartbeat:D...oh, I only sail solo too.

Edited by Lois R

I'd agree with Lois - which is the itinerary you most want to do? Sounds like the North Cape to me.

Last year I cruised on Celebrity to the Faroe Islands, Iceland & Norway. Reykjavik was okay, not my favourite city but that's personal taste and I did enjoy whale watching. Akureyri in the north was lovely. In Norway we stopped in the Geiranger fjord & the town of Bergen, both well worth seeing. So whichever you choose I'm sure you'll like it.

I'd guess the Norway cruise is more expensive as it's in the summer holiday season and people can take 2 weeks off work. 23 days would be a luxury for a lot of people, so it's probably less popular.

Originally it was going to be Northcape. But I heard the Northcape it's self is no big deal. I have both a TA and Northcape cruise on my bucket list. So I started to think maybe I should combine Norway and Iceland and TA, and cross off two! I can do 23 days,... But not sure if I'd be missing some beautiful parts of Norway. I've cruised Alaska, and Cape Horn so I'm not sure if it's so much different. The other factor is kids on board. Though it's not that I don't like them, just don't want to be with lots of them. So it's quite a dilemma. I suppose I should just wait it out and see if the prices drop. Solo travers seldom get the deal that singles do... It's a matter of just getting an affordable rate. I have considered hirtigruten, but i can't help thinking it will feel like the ferries you take in the Greek islands.

Like you I have Norway & a TA (going the other way!!) on my list. When I was choosing I did think just the Norwegian fjords would be too much the same & the opportunity to see Iceland & the Faroe Islands was too good to miss as I like ticking new countries off my list. Having been to Norway for a couple of days I'd definitely go back now, but I'd go expecting the holiday would be scenic cruising more than sightseeing (similar to how I imagine Alaska - also on my list!). I suppose it also depends how likely you are to come back and see the other parts you miss & whether it's better to immerse yourself in one country you really want to see, or to experience a bit of everything now. You may be lucky with kids either way as school holidays tend to be July/August. Are you set on Princess? I'm sure I've seen other cruise lines with a few northern options, it may be worth shopping around. It's a nice dilemma to have :)

Thanks Gary, yes, their are other lines. HAL had a nice Northcape, and I did book a Northcape NCL on impulse, but will probably cancel. I like the Prinsendam and Ocean Princess Norway cruises, but right now the cost is soooo high for a solo/singles on these smaller more intimate ships. So I suppose I'll just sit on it till airfares are out... And see if I can use my ff miles

Edited by bobbisailsolo

Haha - I know that feeling. I'm doing the Caribbean for the first time in October. The flight is the same price as the cruise. But it's where I want to go, it was the best deal at the time and I can afford it - end of discussion. You've already decided you are going - hope you find the deal that works for you. It will be well worth it :)