Princess Alaskan lodges

tinykygal

We have an upcoming land/cruise trip.

All we really desire is a clean bed. However, I have searched websites and CC forums and am unable to find the info I need.

Are hair dryers, soap and shampoo provided in the lodges? Making my packing list and the least I take the better.

Thank you for your prompt replies.

Thank you! I called the lodge and they haven't opened for the season.

It is a nightmare for me planning on what needs to be packed for the land and the cruise I am fairly content with.

I have only stayed at the Kenai Lodge- and it was wonderful- duplex-type cabins- nice porches, wood stoves if you are cool- or just want a fire. Hope you are staying their- can't be better

I was at the Denali Princess Lodge and McKinley Princess last year. The facilities at both were wonderful. All clean and nicely laid out. I was only one night at each so I didn't get much exploring done. It rained and was very cold at the time. McKinley has a nice fire pit area outside and Denali has a nice Great Room. I'm going back next year to spend two nights at each and this time going at the end of June right after the Solstice. I hope this time I can see Mt. McKinley.

You will love it.

We were at the McKinley Lodge and Denali Princess Lodge 2 summers ago and I was very impressed with everything about the entire trip. The lodges are very nice (we ended up in newer buildings at both locations) and I had no complaints whatsoever at either. The public rooms are very nice and the food was good as well. We did see Mt. McKinley the day we were there so were very fortunate - it was visible for about 3 hours in the afternoon. Dinner in the more formal restaurant at the McKinley lodge was very good as were the views. I especially liked the walking/hiking trails at each lodge. However, the highlight for us was train from Denali to Whittier - 9 hours long and fantastic in every respect - I enjoyed it more than the cruise only because I haven't been on a train since I was a child. We were seated in the one Alaska Railroad car immediately behind the engines which I think were nicer than the Princess cars - we walked from the front to the back through all the cars. They needed extra space so leased/borrowed an Alaska Railroad car - the entire train was Princess cars - I think there 9 cars in total. The food on board was excellent and it was great fun to go downstairs to eat - we had breakfast and lunch. The guides on board were excellent as well.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Doug

Not sure when you are going, but we went at the end of August, toward the end of the season. I basically lived in my lightweight fleeces. Rained quite a bit so I was glad I had waterproof jackets. Wore them all the time, sometimes with liner and sometimes not. The hood came in handy. I did end up buying a cap at first port.

No worries. Everything will be wonderful! I agree, the train ride was great. Beautiful scenery and I saw two Beluga whales and a rainbow. Heavenly!!

Enjoy.

Edited by gator582

I agree about the fleece - I wore it every day and frequently with a sweater and heavy shirt - I'm from Florida so I'm a wuss about the cold! The bags will be labeled something line 'to the ship' and you won't see that one again and 'take me with you' which will be in your room each evening after you check into the lodge (usually earlier) - I think the 'to the ship' bag is with you until the last day when it goes directly to the ship while you get there via rail or however - you *probably* could get access to it if you had to but it won't be in your room - in other words it's traveling along with you but you don't see it. We had very good to excellent weather - not much rain but some overcast days in late August and early September. Our day in Ketichkan was perfect - clear sunny and not too cool. The weather was perfect for our flight-seeing tour.

Do you think a 6 ok of water would be approved to go along with our 'to ship' luggage as long as it is labeled?

We have never carried on beverages other than allowed bottle of wine and we craved our sparkling water last cruise.

I had no idea that water or soft drinks would be allowed.

Thank you.

Do you think a 6 ok of water would be approved to go along with our 'to ship' luggage as long as it is labeled?

We have never carried on beverages other than allowed bottle of wine and we craved our sparkling water last cruise.

I had no idea that water or soft drinks would be allowed.

Thank you.

You could certainly try. If your last stop is at a lodge and you are traveling to the ship directly from there, you probably won't have an opportunity to buy anything the day of boarding. We left the Denali lodge about 7:30AM boarded the train by 8AM and our train got in around 5:00PM to Whittier and we went directly onto the ship (it was drizzling as well) - there were no luggage cars on the train so the luggage was shipped by truck. If you get to Whittier a little earlier, you may be able to walk into town and buy whatever you want - I can't speak to that because we didn't have to opportunity and it may not be walkable. If you are traveling by coach to the ship, your 'to ship' luggage may well be on the same coach - you can always check with your TA or Princess to find out exactly how that works. Also, depending on your itinerary, you can certainly buy your sparkling water at the first port of call.