Puerto Limon, Costa Rica

8:00 am - 6:00 pm

Tue

At Sea

Wed

At Sea

Thu

Miami (DISEMBARK)

I think this is a partial transit? It's over Christmas, so I'm guessing (I hope) there will be families as opposed to a senior cruise? My main question is which side of this ship should we get cabins on for this? Thanks

Yes, it is a partial transit. I wouldn't expect a large number of families, but can't rule out some.

The side of the ship doesn't matter. You aren't locked in your cabin...you will be on and around the deck watching. Even if you were locked in your cabin, you would see one side of the Canal going into Gatun, and the other side coming out.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Christmas on a ship is wonderful! Someone ELSE does all the work and you just enjoy! There will be families, but the ship will have extra staff on to help with kids programs. One side of the ship is as good as the other. In the Canal you want to be out and about while you are in Gatun Locks seeing the operation from all angles. In terms of the Canal itself the bigger concern would be what shore excursion you are going to book. When you are in Gatun Lake you have the opportunity to get off the ship and see some of Panama, but those trips have to be booked with the ship. While you are off on tour the ship goes back through Gatun Locks to Colon to wait for the tours to return. There is really nothing to see or do in Colon. It is not a safe area to walk around. The ship is only docking there to pick up folks returning from tours. There are fantastic tour opportunities ... cultural, historical, and nature!

The more you know in advance about the Canal and Panama and its history and present reality the better you will enjoy your trip.

And even if the ship is in the Canal on Christmas Day, Santa will find you! This pic was taken in the Canal on Christmas Day.

image150.png?w=385

Regards, Richard

It's a partial transit and there will be families with children.

When our children were still in school and cruising with us, we frequently took 10 day Christmas/New Year's cruises. Lots of families did the same.

It really doesn't matter which side of the ship you book ... unlikely you'll spend the day in your cabin.

Look forward to having a great time. :)