Celebrity Summit/Bermuda Questions

jenafish

Sailing from NJ/NY to Bermuda on the Summit the first week in May for my 30th birthday and our first wedding anniversary. We've done the Caribbean a few times, but have never sailed from NY. Also, usually have balcony cabin but couldn't pass up the deal on the inside room. I am a little bit nervous about seasickness - is it much worse in the Atlantic? and in an inside cabin?

Any tips, suggestions or ideas for fun things for my husband and I to do and see in Bermuda? We like to experience the culture of the islands we visit, so definitely want to do Harbour Lights and some sightseeing, but also love some beach time!! Any suggestions for beaches other than those effected by the issues on the South shore right now?

I know the first sailing on this itinerary ended today, so looking forward to hearing some reports/reviews from passengers...

Thanks in advance!!

We were on this cruise June 2012 to celebrate my 60th birthday--it was a nice cruise. We had one bad weather sea day on the way to Bermuda and people were sea-sick since there was a lot of wave action. That was the only bad weather day! Lots to see in Bermuda---we loved having the 3 day transportation ticket. It was a good deal since we loved using the ferries and buses. You'll have a great time and Happy Birthday!

We had one bad weather sea day on the way to Bermuda and people were sea-sick since there was a lot of wave action. That was the only bad weather day! Lots to see in Bermuda---we loved having the 3 day transportation ticket. It was a good deal since we loved using the ferries and buses. You'll have a great time and Happy Birthday!

Thanks!! :)

Hopefully we will only have nice weather this time - and thanks for the advice! Was planning on doing the 3 day ticket so we won't feel like we're shelling out money each time.

Sailed the Summit to Bermuda in June 2012 and enjoyed it so much we did it again in June 2013.

It's hard to say what the seas will be like. The trip was a bit rockier last year then the year before, but we always take ginger pills with us and take them if we feel the need. For us they work very well.

Bermuda is a beautiful little island with plenty to do in the three days you will be in port and the Summit is a lovely ship to get you there.

Follow this link...it is the Bermuda port board here on Cruise Critic.

Lots of information and ideas.

Enjoy your cruise!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

I've noticed quite a few cruise critic folks mentioning Ginger pills for sea sickness. Where do you buy them and are they something you suck or a capsule or pill? Thanks!

I buy a bottle of them in a local health food grocery store, but they are also available online through Amazon and I'm sure several other places. The kind we use are in capsule form.

You can also buy a type of ginger candy which I understand actually works faster if you are feeling queasy. I did have it with us on our last trip, but didnt need to use it.

I've sailed the Bayonne to Bermuda route on the Summit many times, and it can be rough one year and smooth the next year(at the same time of the year), predicting the mood of the Atlantic is sometimes futile as it can change from week to week. I've sailed in May(it was earlier in the month than your cruise)from Bermuda back to Bayonne on a repositioning cruise last year, and it was not rough at all. Again, this can and will vary.

I second daydreamer16's endorsement of the 3 day transportation pass(or get a 2 day pass and save your last day in port exploring King's Wharf and the Royal Naval Dockyard since the ship leaves in the late afternoon(there is so much to see and do, you won't get all of it in, a great reason to return! ;)). You could also do your sightseeing and touring the first two days, then make your last day in port your beach day, as there are three beaches (one very close, one further out, one a bit further) from King's Wharf. Snorkel Park is the closest and easily walkable from the ship, then it's Black Bay, then Daniel's Head, which are better via bus.

The best place to find other good beach alternatives to the South Shore is the Bermuda board here at Cruise Critic. The answers may already be posted, since someone else might have already asked your question. Enjoy your cruise and have a wonderful birthday and Happy Anniversary!

I really have nothing to add, because this is my first trip to Bermuda on the Summit too. I just wanted to chime in that I will also be celebrating my 30th birthday & wedding anniversary on the Summit this summer. I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums