Victoria, BC residents???

If you live in (or are very familiar with) Victoria, I am hoping that you can help me find a place.

6 years ago we were in Victoria for a short stop on a cruise. We made our way to Chinatown (corner of Fisgard and Government). We then walked no more than a couple of blocks and found a pub where we could get halibut fish and chips. This pub also boasted hundreds of different brands of rum. Behind the bar were rows of what looked like library shelves filled with liquor. Best fish and chips I've ever had (and they were even buy one - get one free that day).

I seem to remember that the street it was on was on an incline with the pub being at the top maybe - but I could be mistaken about that.

Does this place sound familiar to anyone? Would love to go there again when we visit in June.

I am going to cross post this in the Alaska forum as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob

Could it be the Bard and Banker? It is a Scottish Pub in the old Bank of Commerce building. They do have daily 2 for 1 specials, with fish and chips one day of the week. You can find them on the internet and send an email to see if that is the pub you are looking for. The other possibility is the Irish Times, also in an old bank and very close to the Bard and Banker - both are on Government Street in the center of the old part of the city.

Hope you find the one you are looking for.

Could it be the Bard and Banker? It is a Scottish Pub in the old Bank of Commerce building. They do have daily 2 for 1 specials, with fish and chips one day of the week. You can find them on the internet and send an email to see if that is the pub you are looking for. The other possibility is the Irish Times, also in an old bank and very close to the Bard and Banker - both are on Government Street in the center of the old part of the city.

Hope you find the one you are looking for.

I have to tell you - your post is exactly why my friends and family find me annoying when I go on and on about "my cruise website". I'm all excited saying, ya you just ask a question about anything and someone on this website will say "go left two blocks and on the right hand corner is the store you are looking for". You and your type, yup, you are the ones that make me sound insane.

Notentirelynormal - although there are several good places for fish and chips in Victoria the absolute best I have ever had was in Holberg, a minuscule settlement in northern Vancouver Island, between Port Hardy and the west coast. Unfortunately, not very accessible to cruise visitors.

As a caution, the absolute worse fish and chips I have had locally was at the new Oak Bay Beach Hotel - beautiful property but their fish and chips, at least on the occasion I was there, were horrible. If they had served such a bad product in Newfoundland, where I think their fish and chips deserve Michelin stars, they would have hung the chef.

Personally, when I am downtown, I prefer Gallagher's, which is in between the other two pubs - they have expanded so they have frontage on Government Street, but not as fancy as the other two.

Enjoy your stop in my wonderful city