Look who's been in your cabin!

YB Nrml

So call me crazy... DH does often enough! I was reading through a review last night, won't name who it was, and there were pictures and comments from the OP that really bothered me.

One pic had the OP's child in a suite close to theirs, just to look at it and check it out. Another pic showed the OP in the original room they had booked for their kids before they upgraded them.

I'm very easy going, and yes as I walk to my cabin I will glance into open doors of other cabins but I've never, ever, gone into some random cabin to check it out. It's not my cabin, it belongs to someone else. I would also be mortified if I got caught doing so by the people who actually have booked that cabin. Then I think how I would feel if I were entering my cabin for the first time and some other random passenger was standing in there to check it out. CREEPY!

Feedback?

I agree, once a cabin has been set up and cleaned for your arrival, others should not be going in your cabin and doing whatever. To me, its too bad they were not caught and thrown off the ship before it left with no refund...

A good reason to always keep your valuables out of sight or in the safe. Most thefts onboard are likely not due to the staff (who probably wouldn't risk their livelihood for some petty theft).

My take is that it's rude and a violation of someone else's space. It might not be your home, but it's your home for the length of the cruise, and should be respected as though it were your actual home.

You sure the pictures of the kid weren't taken on a cabin crawl?

Yes I'm sure, they were just embarking and putting their luggage in their room, OP stated that the child was looking at the suite next door. Pic showed the child standing in the suite with OP taking the picture from the door.

I have read the review that you are referring to and thought nothing of it as they had FTTF and it looks like they were looking at an unoccupied cabin and took a couple of pictures - they may have even asked the room steward it they could since it was empty.

I doubt they would have allowed their child in a cabin that was occupied.

Just saying - you are making an assumption that it had peoples stuff in it.

Until I take possession of my cabin it belongs to Carnival. That's how I look at it. Would not bother me. Just a personal opinion.

Exactly ...and actually he's a stockholder ...checking out his investment :)

Edited by BeeBeeCee

Honestly, at first, I was thinking "what's the big deal?". I mean if was just embarkation is it really anyone's cabin yet? They obviously don't even have their things in the cabin yet if the door is open for just anyone to walk in otherwise the door would have been closed.

But, on further thought. A lot of passengers have pre ordered things placed in their cabins by this time...documents from Carnival..gifts from family members/friends.. gifts from TAs or from Carnival. So, yeah you're right it is a bad idea to be walking into cabins that are not yours just to check things out.

Edited by rrraydon

What's confusing here, is the cabin vacant or was it during a cruise? If it was during and really was an occupied cabin, then Hell no about entering. In fact, if it was occupied and someone was in there, then it's indeed trespassing.

I've never taken pictures of someone's else's cabin, and May peek inside the aft- balconies or suites during embarkation or debarkation just get a look at the size and layout. I will ask the steward if it's ok, if they're nearby. I have also been close to the suites, and if greeted by the occupants ask if I can take a look, at which point I was given a full tour, and a drink, and became cruising buddies while onboard.

I have read the review that you are referring to and thought nothing of it as they had FTTF and it looks like they were looking at an unoccupied cabin and took a couple of pictures - they may have even asked the room steward it they could since it was empty.

I doubt they would have allowed their child in a cabin that was occupied.

Just saying - you are making an assumption that it had peoples stuff in it.

No, they did this during embarkation, didn't look like the people who had booked the cabin had arrived yet.

If there are pre-ordered items placed in the cabin after it is prepared, the cabin door is locked. Just like you, if you were to place your items in the cabin, you would shut the door. Carnival is not going to be held accountable for something that gets stolen so they know not to leave the door open if they leave something.

I'm with the posters that say it's Carnival's cabin until they shut the door or someone occupies it. If I wanted to see a cabin that the steward is still preparing, then I would ask if I could come in and look.. no big deal...

Once, during debark, I wanted to get a look at the suites.

I asked the steward if the occupants were gone (I figured they were since he was in there cleaning). They were. I asked if I could go in. He said yes.

I wouldn't ever go in a cabin on embark day. I'd be so embarrassed if the occupants showed up while I was in there.

Honestly, at first, I was thinking "what's the big deal?". I mean if was just embarkation is it really anyone's cabin yet? They obviously don't even have their things in the cabin yet if the door is open for just anyone to walk in otherwise the door would have been closed.

But, on further thought. A lot of passengers have pre ordered things placed in their cabins by this time...documents from Carnival..gifts from family members/friends.. gifts from TAs or from Carnival. So, yeah you're right it is a bad idea to be walking into cabins that are not yours just to check things out.

Yes, there might be flowers or decorations, paperwork etc. I just question parents who don't respect boundaries and don't teach their children to do the same.

I wouldn't walk up to someone's car that I saw in a parking lot and start looking through the windows just because I could, wouldn't start pawing through someone else's grocery cart at the store, wouldn't sit at a table marked reserved at a restaurant just to see what it felt like.

I've never taken pictures of someone's else's cabin, and May peek inside the aft- balconies or suites during embarkation or debarkation just get a look at the size and layout. I will ask the steward if it's ok, if they're nearby. I have also been close to the suites, and if greeted by the occupants ask if I can take a look, at which point I was given a full tour, and a drink, and became cruising buddies while onboard.

If you ask then that's being respectful, good for you!

Those stewards are working like crazy to get things together for the next set of pax..most times working 2-3 cabins at one time with the doors opened. Quite a few times I've boarded early as platinum and went straight to my cabin and had the door already opened with my documents laid out, booze delivered and baskets set out while my steward was in the cabin across the hall or next door finishing up there. Next thing you know he's running in with pool towels to dump off and is on his way. Never really gave it a thought. But, now with sooo many platinums and FTTF purchasers roaming the halls early on... these are things to ponder.

Oh, and I don't care what my cleaning lady says.. you ain't coming in my house!! :p:D:p:D

Until I take possession of my cabin it belongs to Carnival. That's how I look at it. Would not bother me. Just a personal opinion.

So we'll agree to disagree. My thought is I have paid for that cabin and as soon as people start embarking it's mine and no one but staff and my family has any reason to set foot in it, unless we invite them too.

So call me crazy... DH does often enough! I was reading through a review last night, won't name who it was, and there were pictures and comments from the OP that really bothered me.

One pic had the OP's child in a suite close to theirs, just to look at it and check it out. Another pic showed the OP in the original room they had booked for their kids before they upgraded them.

I'm very easy going, and yes as I walk to my cabin I will glance into open doors of other cabins but I've never, ever, gone into some random cabin to check it out. It's not my cabin, it belongs to someone else. I would also be mortified if I got caught doing so by the people who actually have booked that cabin. Then I think how I would feel if I were entering my cabin for the first time and some other random passenger was standing in there to check it out. CREEPY!

Feedback?

You asked for feedback, so I'm choosing to do just that.

Do I find it "creepy"?? . . . No

Paul is one of several Cruise Critic members who very routinely do an extremely thorough recap/review of their cruise experience. I'm thinking it's done as a cool way to remember the entire recent experience once again, and also offer some often-suberb details for the vacation planning of those yet to board.

Because of the loyalty level of some passengers, they have immediate access to their rooms upon embarkation, which does allow access to seeing those neighboring cabins as well.

I don't know if it's morally right or wrong, but I will very easily admit that I've actually done the same. There were multiple people on CC asking for details about a new ship, and I was fortunate to be one of the first to experience the new vessel. I took pictures; I posted pictures; People said Thanks. I never physically touched anything that wasn't my property for those few seconds inside . . . and, although I was not present when the pictures you refer to were taken, I'd wager that was the exact same case during that brief moment as well.

Part of that passenger's cruise planning was to book a particular cabin for some of their family members, but those plans changed. He simply captured a physical picture to document the text.

For all we know, they may have even asked the present cabin steward for permission. I've done the same as well, and they expressed zero issue with that request after I explained why I made it.

This is far from the first time CC members have posted photos of the cabins of others for the intent to supply planning information for others. Numerous pics have been taken the morning of debarkation when lots of the neighboring doors are open.

Could somone potentially do something wrong by entering? . . . Yes.

Do I personally think anything did? . . . Absolutely not.

Sometimes people do things a bit "out of the box" with their cruise documentation, and sometimes it's meant to be of assistance to others.

Some might say that people should never ever do something like that. Go directly to your room, don't touch anything along the way, don't look at things that don't belong to you. That is certainly an understood sentiment, but perhaps not so much by someone with a mantra of Why Be Normal.

That was my personal feedback.

Happy future sailings!! :)

I've been on the Fascination 10 times. Once I got our cabin confused. I programmed the safe, pulled stuff out of my carry on and put it on the bed. I don't recall how, but my son realized we were in the wrong cabin. I quickly found the room steward and told him of the mix up. His main question, that he seemed to be upset about was, "did we use the bathroom?" Fortunately, we had not.

Talk about embarrassment!!! :eek: Now I also attach the printed luggage tags on our carry ons.

Edited by Anjanu

Is this common? I have to admit I have never seen a cabin door left open, either during embarkation, during the cruise, or during debarkation, unless a cabin steward or maintenance was actually inside the room.

There are many times that cabin doors are left open while room stewards are working both during embarkation, debarkation and during the cruise. Many times they step away for supplies or to go to another cabin next door or across the hall.