Couple of dumb questions

BigWI

Yet another question.........

I hadn't planned on going onto the internet while on vacation, but something has come up that requires me to get on for about 10 minutes at least every other day. :(

I know I can pre-purchase 120 Minutes for about $75, but I don't think I will use (nor want to be on line) more than 20 minutes.

Can you just purchase by the minute on board or do you need to buy a fixed number of minutes?

FOUND THE ANSWER SORRY FOR ASKING BEFORE LOOKING

Edited by BigWI
Found Answer

I hadn't planned on going onto the internet while on vacation, but something has come up that requires me to get on for about 10 minutes at least every other day. :(

I know I can pre-purchase 120 Minutes for about $75, but I don't think I will use (nor want to be on line) more than 20 minutes.

Can you just purchase by the minute on board or do you need to buy a fixed number of minutes?

As you probably found out, you can also connect for a $3.95 activation fee plus $0.75/minute. For just 20 minutes the cost would be less than $20.00. However internet on board is much slower and it could take significantly more than 10 minutes each time to do what you need to do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When you get on the ship's Internet it will be snail slow. That is unless you do it in the middle of the night. Your idea of a hot tub visit sounds good. We are from Madison although that was almost 45 years ago. It isn't so bad getting in or out of our Hot Tub here is south Texas in the winter hehehe

Go Packers!

Cheers, Kenn

We do have a balcony and will do that a couple of times. But I like to get up at at dawn to take pictures (catch the morning light) while my wife sleeps in.

Question for you. I know tipping is a personal decision, but what would you guess is the customary tip for room service. I certainly do not want to insult the person.

We usually tip $2-3 for coffee and light breakfast. If a larger amt of food $5.

When you get on the ship's Internet it will be snail slow. That is unless you do it in the middle of the night. Your idea of a hot tub visit sounds good. We are from Madison although that was almost 45 years ago. It isn't so bad getting in or out of our Hot Tub here is south Texas in the winter hehehe

Go Packers!

Cheers, Kenn

Back in 92, my wife's job moved to Dallas and teh company wanted us to move with it.

They flew us down to visit........in the middle of August!

After 5 minutes we decided it was too hot, too flat and too many Cowboy fans.....:D

Go Pack.

The Island Princess offered a fish and chips on 2 of the sea days each week on our AK cruise last summer. It was very good.

In Wisconsin we call them fish fry's, and there is an unwritten law that on Friday's every restaurant in the state must serve fish fry's:D

Look forward to trying thiers

In Wisconsin we call them fish fry's, and there is an unwritten law that on Friday's every restaurant in the state must serve fish fry's:D

Look forward to trying thiers

Yes, back in the days from when we didn't eat meat any Friday! Yes, the fish was very good. We did it all 4 times it was offered!

oh, and forgot to say-no question is a dumb one!! I had cruised Princess 5 times before knowing they had a military on board credit! We rec'd 250 for our last AK cruise, just by reading these posts. Now Princess has it in a drop down menu. I didn't recall seeing it prior to booking our cruise last year but saw it here on the boards.

As a fellow Cheesehead (and Packers owner), I just wanted to say, have a great trip, and Ted picked the guy with the best name in the draft!

Ha Ha, you're right! ;)

And Thank you, we will.

As you probably found out, you can also connect for a $3.95 activation fee plus $0.75/minute. For just 20 minutes the cost would be less than $20.00. However internet on board is much slower and it could take significantly more than 10 minutes each time to do what you need to do.
Right. The only way to limit a session to less than five minutes is to sign on either very early in the morning or at dinner time, download your email, sign off, respond off-line, re-sign on, send and log off. Otherwise, expect to spend a lot more than you think you'll need. And, an Internet connection is never guaranteed. It depends on where the ship is sailing, how many others are using the Internet at the same time, and what they're using it for. If someone is Skyping, for instance, few people will be able to use the Internet because Skype is a huge bandwidth hog.

Right. The only way to limit a session to less than five minutes is to sign on either very early in the morning or at dinner time, download your email, sign off, respond off-line, re-sign on, send and log off. Otherwise, expect to spend a lot more than you think you'll need. And, an Internet connection is never guaranteed. It depends on where the ship is sailing, how many others are using the Internet at the same time, and what they're using it for. If someone is Skyping, for instance, few people will be able to use the Internet because Skype is a huge bandwidth hog.

Thanks, Fortunately all I need to do is a small FPT transfer, generate a couple of reports and FTP them back up to the server, every other day.

I can try to do them very early in the morning or late at night.

Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='IECalCruiser']As you probably found out, you can also connect for a $3.95 activation fee plus $0.75/minute.
[/quote]

The activation fee is one time only.

You would also pay the activation fee one time if you bought a package.