Verizon coverage Getaway

I found an international planner thingy on Verizon's website, there is a drop down of cruise ships and I believe it tells you what you're supposed to do.

There isn't a click for Getaway. Does anyone know if what other ship I can put in there that has the same itinerary as the Getaway? It doesn't even have to be NCL.

TIA :)

I don't know. LOL. There is a cruise click and a country click. I am now clicking and entering on the country part as I'm not going to use my phone on board.

So, I enter the countries and there is a bunch of techy mumbo jumbo that doesn't mean a thing to me.

I guess I will have to actually talk to a person at Verizon - its just that sometime you always do not get the right answer from custom service reps.

I just want to be able to check and post on Facebook while in port LOL.

If you want to call home while in port, download Skype, create an account, pay $2.99 for one month of premium calling, jump on free WiFi and make your call to anyone in the U.S and Canada over Skype. I would also recommend using the free WiFi for posting to Facebook. From what I've read, heard and witnessed, you could end up with a huge Verizon bill otherwise.

While on the ship, any of the NCL ships, as far as I know, there is no specific data plan available. You can make calls from your cell phone while on the ship for $2.50 a minute. And you can text, SMS only, for .05c each received and .50c for each sent. Using data while on the ship can cost you a fortune. Finding free wifi while in a port is your best bet. Verizon does, or did have, have international data plans available for different countries, while off the ship.

I just looked at Verizon's web site reference international data. It is indeed confusing. I'm now not sure if an international data plan, $25 for 100mb, applies while on a ship or not. I'd call and get a firm Verizon answer on that.

Edited by roger001

http://at1km2209ak29ycp740dst3q4.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/General_Brochure_NCL.pdf

Cellular Phone Service & Texting at Sea

Freestyle Cellular Service

Norwegian Cruise Line guests can make and receive calls, send and receive text messages, read emails and surf the web on their own cell phones and mobile devices just as they do on land when the ship is at sea, thanks to the CellAtSea® service. Just check with your cellular phone carrier that your cell phone will be able to roam internationally. Keeping in touch with your friends and family, while at sea, has never been easier.

Questions and Answers

Q: Is CellAtSea® Service available in port?

A:The CellAtSea® service will automatically shut down when a ship is entering port. When connected to CellAtSea®, GSM phones will either display "MCP" or "90112". CDMA phones will display "Roaming" or "Digital Roaming".

Q: How much will I be charged when I use my cell phone onboard?

A: The rates vary according to cellular phone carrier and the pricing /roaming plan which you have established with them directly. The charges incurred will appear on your normal mobile carrier's bill you receive at home. For more information on exact pricing contact your carrier or visit their webpage. Please visit the following link for more information http://www.mcp.com/ncl/

Q: Can my family call me onboard?

A: Yes, Norwegian Cruise Line guests can also be contacted on our ships by calling the guests cell phone number. The service works just as it does on land. If the party does not answer, a voice message can be left on the phone and later retrieved by the guest.

Q: How to make calls?

A: Dial "+" followed by country code, city code and number, just as you would when traveling abroad.

http://at1km2209ak29ycp740dst3q4.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/General_Brochure_NCL.pdf

Cellular Phone Service & Texting at Sea

Freestyle Cellular Service

Norwegian Cruise Line guests can make and receive calls, send and receive text messages, read emails and surf the web on their own cell phones and mobile devices just as they do on land when the ship is at sea, thanks to the CellAtSea® service. Just check with your cellular phone carrier that your cell phone will be able to roam internationally. Keeping in touch with your friends and family, while at sea, has never been easier.

Questions and Answers

Q: Is CellAtSea® Service available in port?

A:The CellAtSea® service will automatically shut down when a ship is entering port. When connected to CellAtSea®, GSM phones will either display "MCP" or "90112". CDMA phones will display "Roaming" or "Digital Roaming".

Q: How much will I be charged when I use my cell phone onboard?

A: The rates vary according to cellular phone carrier and the pricing /roaming plan which you have established with them directly. The charges incurred will appear on your normal mobile carrier's bill you receive at home. For more information on exact pricing contact your carrier or visit their webpage. Please visit the following link for more information http://www.mcp.com/ncl/

Q: Can my family call me onboard?

A: Yes, Norwegian Cruise Line guests can also be contacted on our ships by calling the guests cell phone number. The service works just as it does on land. If the party does not answer, a voice message can be left on the phone and later retrieved by the guest.

Q: How to make calls?

A: Dial "+" followed by country code, city code and number, just as you would when traveling abroad.

Good to know! ;)

I don't know. LOL. There is a cruise click and a country click. I am now clicking and entering on the country part as I'm not going to use my phone on board.

So, I enter the countries and there is a bunch of techy mumbo jumbo that doesn't mean a thing to me.

I guess I will have to actually talk to a person at Verizon - its just that sometime you always do not get the right answer from custom service reps.

I just want to be able to check and post on Facebook while in port LOL.

If all you want is Facebook, then all you will need is Wifi. You can do searches to find free wifi spots at all the ports. I know there are a bunch at Nassau.

While at St. Thomas, you will be able to text and use data as if you were in the USA, so you can check Facebook there even without Wifi. Before you travel, sign up for Global Services through My Verizon in order to do this at St. Thomas. Voice rate is $1.99/minute at St. Thomas.

While at St. Maarten, same as Nassau - find free Wifi spots!

There is no free wifi or free data on the ship. I've heard the wifi is painfully slow, so not worth the money to buy a package. I'd wait until on land.

I plan to turn on airplane mode, and turn on wifi. Then I won't have any surprises, but can still access free wifi on land.