Is Princess a premium line at premium $?

Roboat

I've noted numerous posts over the months indicating that passengers should expect a little more from Princess than, say Carnival, because Princess is a premium line and you get what you pay for. Saw the same thing on the CC HAL forum.

For Caribbean cruises, a VERY competitive market, the pricing among ALL the major lines sailing from Florida seems to be just about the same. For example, I booked an October balcony on Princess, but I could have booked with HAL, Carnival, Celebrity, NCL or RCI for about the same price considering shipboard credit (which I count as real money.) The discounted price was around $750-800 for a balcony inclusive for all the lines.

Only Costa was noticeably lower. (Carnival did offer a $700 inclusive balc rate to veterans, but my bro' is Carniphobic.)

Which lines are considered "premium?"

Do people find that Princess rates are higher than the other major lines?

discounted price was around $750-800 for a balcony inclusive for all the lines.

Only Costa was noticeably lower. (Carnival did offer a $700 inclusive balc rate to veterans, but my bro' is Carniphobic.)

Which lines are considered "premium?"

Do people find that Princess rates are higher than the other major lines?

Where are you getting these prices? And are they for a 7 day or more Carib Cruise on Princess or HAL? Haven't seen those balcony fares for a couple of years. I like both Princess and HAL, but would not consider them premium. Radisson and Crystal are more along those lines.

KAJOKG - There are several good Carib. cruise prices going around at the moment. RCCI is one to check out if you can travel in the next month or two. Combine that with the pretty good air sale United announced today then there should be bit left over for your bar tab on that cruise...

In my opinion, Princess is not a premium line. And also in my opinion, their fares do not reflect fares for a premium line. So basically, you get what you pay for. The trick is to know what that will be beforehand!

I don't think it would be correct to describe Princess as "premium", and no reviewer or guide book I've seen does so. I regularly get offers from lines that would fit into the premium category, and from what I can tell, the cost of one of the highest-category cabins on a Princess cruise would barely be the price of admission to the bottom categories on the premium lines.

I think the fierce competition, and dare I say lower expectations of much of the clientele looking to cruise the Caribbean mitigate against a premium experience on a mass-market line like Princess, at least as far as 7-day cruises are concerned.

I've nosed around looking at prices periodically and although they vary a bit, at any given time of year for a comparable cabin the "Premium" lines are much closer in price than they are apart from each other.

Here's a link to a good web page that categorizes the three basic classes of cruise ships into Luxury, Premium and Budget categories.

http://www.galaxsea.com/ratings.html

Princess receives what appears to be fairly even handed treatment. The observation has been made by others in a number of recent threads that competitive and cost issues have driven down the price of cruises and there have been some compromises in quality on a few levels. I've cruised exactly once (fall 2003) and felt that my trip on Princess was a great value. I'm going again for that reason and already know going into it that there are inherent compromises once must live with at certain price points for products and services, cruises being among them.

Perhaps some great day when I have far more discretionary income than at present, I'll treat myself and my sweetheart to a "luxury" cruise but in the meantime - we'll enjoy the heck out of seven day cruise on the Caribbean Princess this November.

I agree with your assessment Druke1 but I think the cruise lines have used their marketing to turn "Premium" into a term that mans about as much as "Gourmet" - it rarely means what it once did. That said - my experience leads me to put it inthe higehr end of mass market offerings at a decidely mass market price.

On my first cruise we opted for an obstructed view oceanview cabin and paid $649 each. But we ended up with an upgrade to a baclony cabin because late October/November is a slow time for all the cruise lines and the ships are rarely full.

This time I looked for another seasonal special and grabbed a mini-suite at $1049 each (for a seven day cruise). IMHO that's hardly a premium price for the value delivered. Although it's not a "premium" experience on many counts (which one could hardly expect for that price on any ship much less one with 3,000 passengers) it's still pretty decent food, nice ambiance and an overall high level of service for the $$.

My GF has never cruised and apart form a few trips with me never even stayed in a higher end hotel - this will be a totally "luxurious" experience for her and more than adequate for my needs.

Then again... I know people who think that Olive Garden is a "premium" dining experience....

Where are you getting these prices? And are they for a 7 day or more Carib Cruise on Princess or HAL? Haven't seen those balcony fares for a couple of years. I like both Princess and HAL, but would not consider them premium. Radisson and Crystal are more along those lines.

That's what we are paying for a 10/29 7 day sailing on the CB (eastern Rte)out of FLL. We bought a guranteed balcony (BG) and already have been assigned a BA :) And we booked this directly thru Princess.

Thanks to all for your thoughtful perspectives.

I think we're living in good times, since we all love to cruise. The "value proposition" is just incredible when compared to just about any other vacation. I hope our kids and grandkids will be able to enjoy cruising 20-30 years from now though one can only imagine what that might be like.

Phaelon, thanks for that great link! And you're gonna be SUCH a hero to your GF with that mini-suite. Funny you should mention: "Then again... I know people who think that Olive Garden is a "premium" dining experience...."

I just last week vented to the Orlando Sentinel food editor, asking him how Orlando is ever going to be taken seriously when the populace votes "Red Lobster" as Best Seafood Restaurant! We are doomed! ;)

That's what we are paying for a 10/29 7 day sailing on the CB (eastern Rte)out of FLL. We bought a guranteed balcony (BG) and already have been assigned a BA :) And we booked this directly thru Princess.

Cool! Is this a great planet, or what?? :D

KATY - Like direfun says, good prices are around. I will say I usually cruise at the wane of the height of hurricane season (I hope!!!), mid-Oct through mid-Nov, and for me, I usually book 70-90 days in advance. This usually gives me a fair number of options at fairly good price. I'm not picky about itineraries, just as soon stay aboard most days. I'll be happy to give you some specific contacts if you want to email me at jewing2 at csc.com.

I just last week vented to the Orlando Sentinel food editor, asking him how Orlando is ever going to be taken seriously when the populace votes "Red Lobster" as Best Seafood Restaurant! We are doomed! ;)

The reason being that Darden Restaurants is based in Orlando, employs many people and you can't go two miles without seeing one of the many restaurants they own. I'm sure Darden does alot of advertising in the newspapers.....:eek:

I think that so many good descriptive words, including premium, have lost their original meaning. The world of advertising oversells everything and raises our expectations to such unrealistic levels that all too often the reality is seen as disappointing. Don't forget we are living in a world where the word "grande" is used to describe a small cup of coffee. :)

Don't forget we are living in a world where the word "grande" is used to describe a small cup of coffee. :)

Or the word "good" is used by a majority of Princess cruisers to describe the coffee served on the ship ;-) :-)

Direfun2000 - have you spotted a roll call yet for the Oct 29 sailing? We are on the same time and itinerary as you.

My GF loves Red Lobster and really likes Olive Garden (in her defense - she enjoys better and more adventurous food when I expose her to it). She's never been on a cruise and I can't wait to see how blown away she is by the food and service. I found it to exceed my expectations (which were guarded and not excessively high) and was satisfied - good value. She'll be talking about it to her friends and family for the next year after we return.

I forgot about guarantee prices. I never want to take a chance on a guarantee. I always want to choose my cabin. So, based on that reason, I don't see the fares you mention. Congrats for getting such a grat fare and ending up with a great cabin!!!!

I forgot about guarantee prices. I never want to take a chance on a guarantee. I always want to choose my cabin. So, based on that reason, I don't see the fares you mention. Congrats for getting such a grat fare and ending up with a great cabin!!!!

K A T Y - Sorry to be slow to get back to this. Actually, the $750-800 for 7 day balcony on CB Princess eastern itinerary from Florida were NOT "Guarantee prices". I picked the cabin numbers when I booked the cruise online, (as I always do.)

This is not an unusual price. These prices are the same on almost all the other cruise lines for 7 day balcony from Florida to eastern carib, 60-120 days out.

Don't know why you haven't seen these fares. Tell your TA to work harder for you, or let me know if you want assistance. (I'm NOT a TA, but I can tell you how to find decent fares.) Again, you can email me: jewing2 at csc.com.

And have GREAT time on the HAL cruise in October! :) :) :)

Archived