Norwegian Gem Owner's Suite

I am normally a frugal cruiser but have recently booked the Owner's Suite on the Norwegian Gem. I enjoy Norwegian but their website and onshore customer service could use some improvements. Since I am getting conflicting info, I have a few questions for anyone who has been in the Owner's suite---I'm on the 10th by the way and will be cruising August 2nd.

1. At what time did you need to close the curtains to the large balcony so that the light would not bother the bridge? I'm guessing this meant that the larger balcony could not be used for dinners?

2. What kind of bed is the second bed? From photos I'm guessing it's a pullout sofa type thing. Was it comfortable? It will be used by my 11 year old niece so she's not too picky but want to make sure it's suitable.

3. Is it appropriate to tip the concierge/butler each time you use their services or do you wait until the end of the cruise? Also, what would you consider an appropriate tip for a week long cruise? I'm frugal but I'm a generous tipper as the crew on NCL seems to be worked especially hard but somehow remain friendly.

4. Are their expectations that parents will supervise their children in the Haven? Part of the reason I am booking this suite is for the Haven pool area as I know the main pool will be overrun by unsupervised kids for an August cruise with a stop at Disney. Did you experience the Haven as a real refuge or was it equally overrun with unsupervised children?

5. How was the steam room in the Haven? Is it big enough or should I plan on getting the spa pass for the week? I love the spa pass but if there's an adequate steam room in the Haven, not sure I need it.

6. What's in the mini bar in the suite? Wine? Beer? Soda? Also, the owner's suite (I think) comes with 3 bottles of liquor? Has anyone requested wine instead of liquor?

7. Anyone have CURRENT menu's for breakfast and lunch at Cagney's? For Haven room service?

Thanks much!!!!

I am normally a frugal cruiser but have recently booked the Owner's Suite on the Norwegian Gem. I enjoy Norwegian but their website and onshore customer service could use some improvements. Since I am getting conflicting info, I have a few questions for anyone who has been in the Owner's suite---I'm on the 10th by the way and will be cruising August 2nd.

1. At what time did you need to close the curtains to the large balcony so that the light would not bother the bridge? I'm guessing this meant that the larger balcony could not be used for dinners?

the curtains would be closed as soon as it's dark, shortly after sunset. Not sure the forward balcony would be usable for dinners while underway anyway, it will be windy. Fine for sitting out there, but would be too windy for dinner for me! Plus there is no dining table out there.

2. What kind of bed is the second bed? From photos I'm guessing it's a pullout sofa type thing. Was it comfortable? It will be used by my 11 year old niece so she's not too picky but want to make sure it's suitable.

i believe it's a regular pull-out sofa but not 100% sure. Someone else who has used it can help you.

3. Is it appropriate to tip the concierge/butler each time you use their services or do you wait until the end of the cruise? Also, what would you consider an appropriate tip for a week long cruise? I'm frugal but I'm a generous tipper as the crew on NCL seems to be worked especially hard but somehow remain friendly.

. Most people tip at the end of the sailing, not upon each use. Tipping amounts are totally discretionary. There was a recent thread on this subject, I will look for it and try to post a link.

4. Are their expectations that parents will supervise their children in the Haven? Part of the reason I am booking this suite is for the Haven pool area as I know the main pool will be overrun by unsupervised kids for an August cruise with a stop at Disney. Did you experience the Haven as a real refuge or was it equally overrun with unsupervised children?

this could go either way. We have been on sailings where the Haven was quiet and lovely, and others where unsupervised kids ran rampant, and some in between. On our last Gem sailing in March, there were kids in there most times we checked (not often), sometimes unsupervised and nice kids, other times "supervised" (not controlled, just that there was a parent present) and very noisy and disruptive. It really can go either way - even one difficult family can create chaos.

5. How was the steam room in the Haven? Is it big enough or should I plan on getting the spa pass for the week? I love the spa pass but if there's an adequate steam room in the Haven, not sure I need it.

ive checked it out but never used it. There are actually two, one on each sex's side. Small, maybe two or possibly three person, but steamy..

6. What's in the mini bar in the suite? Wine? Beer? Soda? Also, the owner's suite (I think) comes with 3 bottles of liquor? Has anyone requested wine instead of liquor?

there is usually no minibar in the OS. Unlimited sodas and bottled water are included and will be replenished as used. There is a menu floating around on here somewhere with liquor choices for the OS and has a few wines listed as choices. Other wine and beer could be ordered thru your butler for the regular fees.

7. Anyone have CURRENT menu's for breakfast and lunch at Cagney's? For Haven room service?

i don't have a copy, but hopefully someone here can provide a PDF. Just a warning, because the OS is so far from Cagney's, sometimes food ordered from there does not arrive as hot as it might in a Haven suite. It's usually pretty warm and very good, but once in a while can arrive less than hot.

Thanks much!!!!

See above.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

There's no set time for when the curtains have to be drawn for the forward balcony. It depends on what time it gets dark, which varies from day to day. I suppose you could still eat dinner out there, so long as you don't mind eating in the dark!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by barnacle_boy

Some recent threads on tipping, there are many many more. I will have to edit a few times to add each one.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2036700

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2035705

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1578992&highlight=butler+tipping

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

The sofa that I saw from pictures is the same white one that they put into many of the suites when they changed from only two occupancy to 3 or 4 occupancy. Some have a white, over-sized chair that turns into a bed for one and the others (that I last saw in the Gem's pictures) is a sofa that would basically seat 3 people.

It was the same as we had in the Dawn in the OS and it is pretty comfy and plenty large for one 11 y/o.