Looking for opionions re: the UDP

RickinNYC

My husband and I will be sailing on the Breakaway this August to Bermuda. I've already been aboard twice, and he once, so we know what to expect. My question involves the Ultimate Dining Plan.

Because we'll be docked in Bermuda for three days, would you bother purchasing the plan? I suspect we'll be out and about either sight seeing or on excursions, thus forgoing a couple of meals on the ship.

I'm inclined to skip it. My husband suggests we consider it.

Thoughts?

I would do it. You also get the show for free the first night. Unless you already did the show, than I would not. I have also been on the Breakaway, and much prefer the speciality restaurants. I love to sit on the Waterfront, and only the speciality restuarants are on there.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Will you be eating dinner off the ship in Bermuda? That probably helps make the call a little better. In our case, we explored all day, but still returned to the ship for dinner and the evening events just as if we were at sea. But if you have other plans on shore, that might help figure it out. If you don't plan something on shore in advance of the trip, I would suspect you too would return to the shlp for the evening meal. We weren't super impressed by the restaurants near the pier that we felt we needed to eat dinner off ship.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I would do it. You also get the show for free the first night. Unless you already did the show, than I would not. I have also been on the Breakaway, and much prefer the speciality restaurants. I love to sit on the Waterfront, and only the speciality restuarants are on there.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What show? I was not aware of a free show with the UDP.

Glad to find this post. I was going to start a new thread, but figured I'd just add to this one.

I'm a bit confused with the plan. We did purchase it for our June 15th sailing. Originally, I thought the plan included eating at each place just once. However, from what I am reading you can eat at any of the included places as many time as you wish during the cruise? Is this correct? We LOVE Cagney's and Le Bistro. So, we can eat there more than once?

Lastly, exactly which places are included in the meal plan?

Thanks so much.

Glad to find this post. I was going to start a new thread, but figured I'd just add to this one.

I'm a bit confused with the plan. We did purchase it for our June 15th sailing. Originally, I thought the plan included eating at each place just once. However, from what I am reading you can eat at any of the included places as many time as you wish during the cruise? Is this correct? We LOVE Cagney's and Le Bistro. So, we can eat there more than once?

Thanks so much.

UDP FAQs

UDP Terms

Thanks so much.

You can eat anywhere you want. Feel like eating at Cagneys 3 nights and LeBisto 4 nights? Just do it. All you need to do is make sure you make your reservations at LeBistro as soon as you board or before...it books faster than anywhere else except Tepanyaki. If you are on the Breakaway the only night the Dinner show (Jungle Fantasy) is included is the first night so make sure you go then if you want to see it. (It is very enjoyable and my dinner was perfect.)

Edited by peg013

My husband and I will be sailing on the Breakaway this August to Bermuda. I've already been aboard twice, and he once, so we know what to expect. My question involves the Ultimate Dining Plan.

Because we'll be docked in Bermuda for three days, would you bother purchasing the plan? I suspect we'll be out and about either sight seeing or on excursions, thus forgoing a couple of meals on the ship.

Thoughts?

No, skip it. Just pay as you go if you do go to a specialty restaurant.

Thoughts?

I would figure out the cost of the UDP and the cost of the restaurants you want to go to and see what your savings would be. For example for my 11 day cruise in November, the UDP will be $179. Here is what I'm planning:

$120 - Four times at Cagney's

$100 - Four times at Teppanyaki

$ 20 - One time at Le Bistro

$ 20 - One time at Moderno

$ 15 - One time at La Cucina

Total $275 worth of dinners for $179; that is a saving of $96. Not to mention that I will get 11 fantastic meals!!!!!

We just decided to pay as we go. My husband made a valid point: I absolutely hate to be tied down to things, and if we were to go with the UDP, my OCD would kick into overdrive. He knows me well.

We'll just stick to dining in Cagney's one night and Moderno's another. As for the other restaurants, we'll play it by ear. I won't sweat it.

Thanks again for the input!

And, you will also find many, many other threads discussing this as well over the past month. Some of those will have additional comments and information from posters that may not respond to this one.

We just decided to pay as we go. My husband made a valid point: I absolutely hate to be tied down to things, and if we were to go with the UDP, my OCD would kick into overdrive. He knows me well.

We'll just stick to dining in Cagney's one night and Moderno's another. As for the other restaurants, we'll play it by ear. I won't sweat it.

Good decision. You can do Cagney's and Moderno's, and then if you wanted also add Le Bistro, Teppanyaki, and another $15-$20 cover restaurant and still spend less than if you bought the UDP, and you'd have 5 of 7 nights at specialty restaurants.

Odds are you are safe either way you go. If you get it and you don't get your full value you are probably close. If you would have saved money by getting it, it probably would not be much.

If you knew you were planning on eating in Cagney's almost all the time that is a different story but it sounds like for you there will not be a huge savings either way.

We are opting to get it. Our reasoning was that we will be platinum after this cruise and we have never stepped out and and experimented much with the specialty restaurants. It will be our honeymoon cruise and by getting the UDP we don't have to think about it. I think we will be trying each restaurant once and double up our favorite.

I would figure out the cost of the UDP and the cost of the restaurants you want to go to and see what your savings would be. For example for my 11 day cruise in November, the UDP will be $179. Here is what I'm planning:

$120 - Four times at Cagney's

$100 - Four times at Teppanyaki

$ 20 - One time at Le Bistro

$ 20 - One time at Moderno

$ 15 - One time at La Cucina

Total $275 worth of dinners for $179; that is a saving of $96. Not to mention that I will get 11 fantastic meals!!!!!

How can you eat so many times at the same restaurant with the same menu in such a short period of time? LOL You must really like them!!! ;)

I agree with this. I know if we purchased it, I'd feel the same way - like I *had* to eat somewhere to get my money's worth. Just pay as you go. I think you'll end up enjoying it more!

Just off the Breakaway. We bought the UDP. We loved the cruise so much that booked same cabin etc for next May. We were in Haven suite so pay as you go would have been better. We loved Ocean Blue which is not included in the plan. We also enjoyed the Haven restarant, Cagneys and Moderno. We've seen the circus so will skip next time. We'll probably alternate the Haven,Cagneys, Moderno and Ocean Blue and pay as we go. We had Cagneys for room service on our verandah...the meal was amazing!

OT....most amazing Sangria in the bar between Moderno and Cagneys.

Thanks so much.

Yes, you can eat and any of the places as many times as you want during your cruise. I have even heard of people eating dinner at one place and getting desert at another because they didn't like the desert at the first place. To note, most places that accept UDP are only open for dinner.

Something I found out yesterday is that you cannot book your dinners prior to the cruise online. You can book individual meals 45 days prior to the cruise but that is for folks paying for that individual meal. With UDP, you have to wait until you are on board to set up your dinners.

Yes, you can eat and any of the places as many times as you want during your cruise. I have even heard of people eating dinner at one place and getting desert at another because they didn't like the desert at the first place. To note, most places that accept UDP are only open for dinner.

Something I found out yesterday is that you cannot book your dinners prior to the cruise online. You can book individual meals 45 days prior to the cruise but that is for folks paying for that individual meal. With UDP, you have to wait until you are on board to set up your dinners.

How did you find this out? Is this only for those that got in on the free UDP promo? There have been several reports of people with the UDP being able to book at 45 days (or 55 in a suite) and the price automatically coming up as $0.00 when the reservations are actually booked and when the confirmations are received.

Edited by peg013

How can you eat so many times at the same restaurant with the same menu in such a short period of time? LOL You must really like them!!! ;)

Well, they do have a lot of variety on their menu. I'm going to go 3 times on my upcoming Sun cruise! Can't wait!! :)