Looking for opionions re: the UDP

RickinNYC

How did you find this out? Is this only for those that got in on the free UDP promo? There have been several reports of people with the UDP being able to book at 45 days (or 55 in a suite) and the price automatically coming up as $0.00 when the reservations are actually booked and when the confirmations are received.

I was on the phone with NCL yesterday (for something different) and decided to ask her. She told me what I stated and I asked her to verify with her supervisor because of what I heard here (and no, she didn't hang up on me when I said the word Cruise Critic :D ). She stated, 45 days out (55 for suites) you can book your meals online but you must pay for them at that time. Now if people are doing that and then spending time to get all of that refunded back when they get on board, that would be a huge waste of time to me. Or, if they are actually coming up with $0 cost when they book their meals, then that would conflict with what an NCL supervisor said. I'm still too far out to check for myself though.

FYI, I did not get the free UDP, I paid for it (I am only OV GTY, not the balcony required to get UDP free).

I was on the phone with NCL yesterday (for something different) and decided to ask her. She told me what I stated and I asked her to verify with her supervisor because of what I heard here (and no, she didn't hang up on me when I said the word Cruise Critic :D ). She stated, 45 days out (55 for suites) you can book your meals online but you must pay for them at that time. Now if people are doing that and then spending time to get all of that refunded back when they get on board, that would be a huge waste of time to me. Or, if they are actually coming up with $0 cost when they book their meals, then that would conflict with what an NCL supervisor said. I'm still too far out to check for myself though.

FYI, I did not get the free UDP, I paid for it (I am only OV GTY, not the balcony required to get UDP free).

So you were told by an NCL phone person? We all know how reliable that must be. Did she also tell you that your cabin door was right across the hall from the other inside room you booked?

Something I found out yesterday is that you cannot book your dinners prior to the cruise online. You can book individual meals 45 days prior to the cruise but that is for folks paying for that individual meal. With UDP, you have to wait until you are on board to set up your dinners.

I have UDP and I booked my dinner reservations online at 45 days out.

So you were told by an NCL phone person? We all know how reliable that must be. Did she also tell you that your cabin door was right across the hall from the other inside room you booked?

As I said, I cannot at this time verify the accuracy of her statement so I can do nothing but take her word for it until it is proven to be false. Since I am 197 days out from my next NCL cruise, I have a ways to wait to test her (and her supervisor's) statement.

As for your last statement, I know the thread you are referring to but i was not the person complaining about the cabin access points. I have never had more than 1 cabin at a time on NCL.

Edited by Out to sea!

I have UDP and I booked my dinner reservations online at 45 days out.

Can you be more specific please? Were you required to pay up front when booking, did it show $0.00 each time you booked since you had UDP, etc.....? What exactly was your process and what was the outcome.

Edited by Out to sea!

We bought it and can't wait for Tepenyaki on Sunday :D

We went to Teppanyaki on the Breakaway and it was the best hibachi I have ever had. The beef and chicken melted in your mouth. Excellent!

Can you be more specific please? Were you required to pay up front when booking, did it show $0.00 each time you booked since you had UDP, etc.....? What exactly was your process and what was the outcome.

Yes. My husband and I both have UDP. Our 11 year old DS does not. I booked 2 of the restaurants online 27 days ago (at our 45 day mark), and I went back about a week ago and booked 3 more online. We booked 5 specialty restaurants for all 3 of us and paid a grand total of $0.

We also booked Illusionarium for all 3 of us for the first night. My dh and I were $0, and I paid $29 with a credit card online for my DS, since he doesn't have UDP.

Here is an example:

I selected Cagney's for 3 (even though I could've selected any number of guests up to 8):

ncl_zps6e484fea.jpg

Then this is after I added it to my cart, accepted the terms, and am ready to hit Add to Itinerary, and Viola! we have reservations and no money was forked out.

ncl2_zpscbf2d1d8.jpg

Edited by LrgPizza

Yes. My husband and I both have UDP. Our 11 year old DS does not. I booked 2 of the restaurants online 27 days ago (at our 45 day mark), and I went back about a week ago and booked 3 more online. We booked 5 specialty restaurants for all 3 of us and paid a grand total of $0.

We also booked Illusionarium for all 3 of us for the first night. My dh and I were $0, and I paid $29 with a credit card online for my DS, since he doesn't have UDP.

Here is an example:

I selected Cagney's for 3 (even though I could've selected any number of guests up to 8):

ncl_zps6e484fea.jpg

Then this is after I added it to my cart, accepted the terms, and am ready to hit Add to Itinerary, and Viola! we have reservations and no money was forked out.

ncl2_zpscbf2d1d8.jpg

Thanks got the info. We are same situation on our upcoming Getaway cruise as my DW and I have the UDP but my DD (4yearold) does not and we plan to prebook all 7 nights specialty for 3 persons and the Illusionarium show on night 1 and was wondering would they charge us in advance for my DD as an adult for all 8 bookings and would I than get some OBC back during the cruise. My DD eats almost nothing and we ARE HOPING she will eat off the kiddies menu. Actually if she eats off the adult menu I would be just as happy!

Please no references to the thread that will not go away! I cannot believe people are keeping it alive, it goes on and on back and forth and the same stuff over and over again...arghhh!

Here is an example:

ncl_zps6e484fea.jpg

ncl2_zpscbf2d1d8.jpg

Thank you very much. I will try this in about 130 days. I'm hoping to prove the rep wrong because i very much would like to book 45 days out so as to get the locations and times I want on the days I want. Thank you for your input and precision. :)

Just off the Breakaway. We bought the UDP. We loved the cruise so much that booked same cabin etc for next May. We were in Haven suite so pay as you go would have been better. We loved Ocean Blue which is not included in the plan. We also enjoyed the Haven restarant, Cagneys and Moderno. We've seen the circus so will skip next time. We'll probably alternate the Haven,Cagneys, Moderno and Ocean Blue and pay as we go. We had Cagneys for room service on our verandah...the meal was amazing!

OT....most amazing Sangria in the bar between Moderno and Cagneys.

I was wondering about your cagneys room service.... If you have the udp, can you order room service from them at any time. Also, when your dining at these restaurants, can you order more than one ontree at your meal without an extra charge?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you very much. I will try this in about 130 days. I'm hoping to prove the rep wrong because i very much would like to book 45 days out so as to get the locations and times I want on the days I want. Thank you for your input and precision. :)

No problem. For what it's worth, even though there are only 3 of us going, if I select 8 guests for reservations, there is still no charge. In addition, when I select Ocean Blue, which is not included in UDP (other than 20% off), there is STILL no charge at the time the reservations are made. I am assuming we will just pay once onboard.

I was wondering about your cagneys room service.... If you have the udp, can you order room service from them at any time. Also, when your dining at these restaurants, can you order more than one ontree at your meal without an extra charge?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

According to the FAQs, only one entree can be ordered at Cagney's and Le Bistro, there is a $10 charge for any extra entree ordered. At the other restaurants, you can go hog wild if you so choose.

From what I have read here on CC, I think only those in suites can have specialty restaurant dinners delivered to their cabin.

From what I have read here on CC, I think only those in suites can have specialty restaurant dinners delivered to their cabin.

We had this refused on the UDP despite being in the top suite.

We had this refused on the UDP despite being in the top suite.

Is it possible that it depends on which ship you are on? Or maybe it is something that can be done depending on your butler (as in he has the right to refuse service because it is not part of his/her contract)?

Then again, I guess the fair question to ask is, who did the refusing?

Is it possible that it depends on which ship you are on? Or maybe it is something that can be done depending on your butler (as in he has the right to refuse service because it is not part of his/her contract)?

Then again, I guess the fair question to ask is, who did the refusing?

The concierge

Doe as anyone know the answer to this? We are on two cruises back to back on the Jade in August which is just showing as a two week holiday. The UDP is available to book for the entire two weeks. If we don't book it, do you think that on the second week (which is a new one for some) we could book it onboard?

Just off the Breakaway in a S6 suite. Set up dinner from Cagneys on our verandah with our incredible butler. He served the dinner in courses....amazing! We had the UDP and paid nothing including delivery for our Cagney dinners on our verandah. However we did give the butler a nice tip...didn't need to but it was incredible service.

Did he/she state a reason?

He said that NCL do not allow it.

The HD did tell me later that he had allowed it as a 'one off', but sadly the concierge did not pass this information on.

All in the past now.

He said that NCL do not allow it.

The HD did tell me later that he had allowed it as a 'one off', but sadly the concierge did not pass this information on.

All in the past now.

That's a shame. They should have a written policy on this versus letting individuals decide based on any number of factors as to whether they want to do this or not.