Why is it more expensive to book the 3rd person in the same room ?

Hi Cathy, if you looked at the fish, they show percentage of cabin categories left - not ship capacity.

I have done mock booking in addition to "fishing" and have been playing with categories, there is still plenty of rooms in each category. I was tempted to squeeze in another cruise before September

Google "fishing for a cruise"

Got it. Thanks.

If it shows 47% categories full for my cruise, does that equate to it being a not very full sailing (considering we are 3 weeks away)? I'm just trying to make sure I understand. I do know that insides and haven on my cruise are sold out.

Edited - wait, if it says capacity 90% (like for some of the July sailings), does that mean that is how much is available or filled? I think I was looking at it backwards.

Edited by LrgPizza

It is interesting to hear talk about lifeboats but the funny thing is that when ships sink these days as in costa Concordia or when a ship is disable as in the carnival triumph they with can't use the lifeboats or choose not to use them

I am specifically thinking about how the Concordia sunk and one side of the ship s boats were useless

And how when it was suggested that the triumph pax should have been put in lifeboats instead if sitting to rot while being towed that it would have been too dangerous to fill the boats.

Not saying we do t need lifeboats of course as I am very very safety conscious. But in recent memory they have either been useless or too dangerous to use

Go figure

And I repeat I am very safety conscious and go to muster and don't lose my head during crisis

Got it. Thanks.

If it shows 47% categories full for my cruise, does that equate to it being a not very full sailing (considering we are 3 weeks away)? I'm just trying to make sure I understand. I do know that insides and haven on my cruise are sold out.

Edited - wait, if it says capacity 90% (like for some of the July sailings), does that mean that is how much is available or filled? I think I was looking at it backwards.

From FAQ: What does the "Categories" percentage mean? It is only an indication of available cabin categories, not ship occupancy. Only the cruise lines have access to that strategic information. Still it can be an useful indicator of a cruise's success.

From FAQ: What does the "Categories" percentage mean? It is only an indication of available cabin categories, not ship occupancy. Only the cruise lines have access to that strategic information. Still it can be an useful indicator of a cruise's success.

Thank you! Still trying to figure out navigation of that site. I appreciate the info. It is making sense to my dense brain now. :)

It is interesting to hear talk about lifeboats but the funny thing is that when ships sink these days as in costa Concordia or when a ship is disable as in the carnival triumph they with can't use the lifeboats or choose not to use them

I am specifically thinking about how the Concordia sunk and one side of the ship s boats were useless

And how when it was suggested that the triumph pax should have been put in lifeboats instead if sitting to rot while being towed that it would have been too dangerous to fill the boats.

Not saying we do t need lifeboats of course as I am very very safety conscious. But in recent memory they have either been useless or too dangerous to use

Go figure

And I repeat I am very safety conscious and go to muster and don't lose my head during crisis

Well, the two examples you give are two totally different situations. In the Triumph incident, lives were not at stake, so lifesaving equipment was not used. It is a maxim of seafaring that the "ship is its own best lifeboat". While remaining on the Triumph was not pleasant, as I said, no lives were at risk, whereas transferring people from one ship to another via lifeboats in an open seaway is an extremely hazardous operation. Lifeboats are designed for one thing: to get away from the ship, once. It was not "too dangerous to load the boats", it was too dangerous to try to bring people off the boats once on them onto whatever vessel could have taken them.

The Concordia incident was again different, and the lifeboats were not completely useful (though many were launched and used repeatedly to get to people) and several on the "high" side of the ship were in fact launched prior to the ship heeling too far, mainly due to the incompetence of the Captain. If the passengers had been mustered right after the collision, and the boats swung out at that time, there would have been plenty of time to embark all passengers and lower all boats.

Modern lifeboats are extremely well designed for the one task that they are designed for: getting people away from a sinking ship.

Just a "reminder":

It is not limited space (for life boats, etc.) - since you obviously CAN book a third person in the cabin if you want to, to a higher price than guest 1 and 2.

But that said - I totally agree with the OP; the higher price for guest 3 is not logic at all..... I understand that they rise the rates for the remaining unsold cabins when the ship is almost full, but to me it is just not logical that the rates for guest 3 should be any more than guest 1 and 2, since we are talking about the same cabin. I can understand that if there are both a guest 3 AND guest 4, that they would price the last two higher hoping that they would get a separate cabin instead for the last two person - but a single person would normally have to pay for two persons if he/she chose to book a separate cabin....?

Edited by TrumpyNor

:eek:

Pricing Details

Guest Guest 1 Guest 2 Guest 3 Guest 4

Cruise Fare $729.00 $729.00 $1,149.00 $1,149.00

Gov't Taxes,

Fees & Port

Expenses $189.91 $189.91 $175.91 $175.91

Total per Guest $918.91 $918.91 $1,324.91 $1,324.91

Payment Schedule

Balance Due $4,487.64

Final Payment $4,487.64

Final Payment Date May 10,2014 23:59 PM EDT

But you would save $14 per person on the taxes for 3rd and 4th! :D

I have done mock booking in addition to "fishing" and have been playing with categories, there is still plenty of rooms in each category. I was tempted to squeeze in another cruise before September

I'm curious, when "fishing", how do you find out what the category capacity is at? I can only find the prices. :confused:

I'm curious, when "fishing", how do you find out what the category capacity is at? I can only find the prices. :confused:

My guess is that when doing a "mock" booking, it shows plenty of cabin numbers to choose from.....

Edited by TrumpyNor

My guess is that when doing a "mock" booking, it shows plenty of cabin numbers to choose from.....

Yes, I understand that method and have used it myself. Others were talking about getting the percentages sold out on a specific category and i was wondering how that function on that site worked.

Pick a cruise line, then a ship.....under the ship all the itineraries are listed. Click on an itinerary and you will see the dates & categories as so: "2015-09-25 [2]39 %" It is only showing the percentage of categories left not ship capacity so it's only marginally useful.

Pick a cruise line, then a ship.....under the ship all the itineraries are listed. Click on an itinerary and you will see the dates & categories as so: "2015-09-25 [2]39 %" It is only showing the percentage of categories left not ship capacity so it's only marginally useful.

Ah, on the left hand side of the page. Thank you.