Serenade B2B - But Switching Cabins - Luggage Question

We are doing our first B2B in 2016 on the Serenade. Since we weren't able to book the same room for both cruises, which was a let down, we will be switching cabins. We are moving from the 8th floor to the 10th floor. Our TA told us we will have to take our luggage with us to the holding area, but I have also read somewhere on these message boards your cabin steward will move most of if for you. I would like to pick the brains of the experienced cruisers out there who have done a "not the same cabin B2B" scenario, maybe even on the Serenade, and find out what you had to do. It would be so much easier if your cabin steward helps you out, but if that's not the case, we completely understand. That would be over and above what should be expected of them. I look forward to, and appreciate, any responses I receive. Thanks!

First, talk with both stateroom attendants and find out their procedure. Generally, you pack up everything that is not hanging. The attendants will move the bags and things on hangers.

[quote name='Great 2 B at Sea']Our TA told us we will have to take our luggage with us to the holding area...[/QUOTE]

The "holding area"? LOL, boy, it seems your TA missed the boat on that one. Oh, haha! There is no way you would be allowed or required to take your luggage to a holding area - that's why it is put in the hall the night before and taken off ship that way, so people aren't tripping over luggage and such.

We have done a B2B on Serenade. You are going to LOVE it! It was fantastic. As Bob said, you pack up your clothes, toiletries, etc - everything that was not hanging in the closet, and you put them in your suitcases. Your items will be moved for you, and they have a special rolling carrier that they just move the hangers onto - neat and sweet. Everything will show up in your new cabin. :)

But yes, having said that, do not even worry about this. The procedure will be well laid out for you in the form of printed information left in your cabin, and in a meeting onboard for all the consecutive cruisers. Each ship may do things a little differently, so just wait for the info and then you can proceed accordingly.

Have fun! :)

[quote name='clarea']First, talk with both stateroom attendants and find out their procedure. Generally, you pack up everything that is not hanging. The attendants will move the bags and things on hangers.[/quote]

Thanks, Bob, I will definitely do that. :)

[quote name='Langley Cruisers']The "holding area"? LOL, boy, it seems your TA missed the boat on that one. Oh, haha! There is no way you would be allowed or required to take your luggage to a holding area - that's why it is put in the hall the night before and taken off ship that way, so people aren't tripping over luggage and such.

We have done a B2B on Serenade. You are going to LOVE it! It was fantastic. As Bob said, you pack up your clothes, toiletries, etc - everything that was not hanging in the closet, and you put them in your suitcases. Your items will be moved for you, and they have a special rolling carrier that they just move the hangers onto - neat and sweet. Everything will show up in your new cabin. :)

But yes, having said that, do not even worry about this. The procedure will be well laid out for you in the form of printed information left in your cabin, and in a meeting onboard for all the consecutive cruisers. Each ship may do things a little differently, so just wait for the info and then you can proceed accordingly.

Have fun! :)
.[/quote]

Thanks, Karen for all this information. Between you and Bob, I have no worries about the process. It seems they will take good care of us! My TA gave me this information this morning via email, so I have no idea where he got his information from. I also thought though, if there are others like us switching rooms, there would be lots of luggage involved in the process and that could be trouble.

I'm so very glad to hear your positive response about this ship! We made our first reservation two months ago, and when they came out with the BOGO, we added two more cruises to our agenda. One of them was another Serenade cruise. We've never done a B2B, so we thought we would try it. We were sad we couldn't get the same room, but quickly thought "Oh well, no big deal." We are definitely looking forward to being on this ship for twenty-one days! Boy, that sounds like a lifetime! I can only imagine the weight gain we will have! lol My only concern, and maybe you can calm me down, is the lack of a Promenade. I've always said I don't want to sail on any ship that doesn't have one, and now we are doing a B2B on one! My thoughts, being we have an aft balcony for both cruises, we hopefully won't miss the Promenade that much. I love to people watch, and the Promenade was always such a great place for that. Does this ship have the same cafe (don't remember the name) that's on the Promenade deck of other ships, where you can get free desserts, sandwiches, and Seattle's Best coffee? I hope it does, because we also love to sit outside of that cafe and relax. If you have time, please share you thoughts with me if you will.

Thanks, Karen, for all your comments. :)

I just did a B2B on Serenade a few weeks ago.
They moved all my "stuff" to our new stateroom (had to move from JS 1100 :()
I kept my clothes on hangers and tossed other things in suitcases.
I also took one of those over-the-door shoe holders and put incidentals in there...things like toiletries, first aid, suntan lotions, etc. Anything that was small but that I could readily find as needed.
They just hung that on the rack and I didn't have to re-pack all that stuff. :)

Also, they had a meeting in Vortex the day before to explain the procedure. They served champagne, which I thought was a nice touch.
They also gave us a special luncheon the next day.

There is a place where you can buy coffee and get free cookies and small desserts, but the Park Cafe, up by the Solarium, is where they have the sandwiches.

[quote name='Great 2 B at Sea']My only concern, and maybe you can calm me down, is the lack of a Promenade... I love to people watch, and the Promenade was always such a great place for that....[/QUOTE]

Understood. We were concerned too on our first Radiance-class ship as we had usually cruised on ships with a Royal Promenade. Honestly, it does take some getting used to, but the ship itself is so beautiful I'm hoping you won't miss it. On this class of ships, the focus is inward toward the Centrum. Lots happens here - music, dancing, Cruise Director/staff activities, Parade of Nations by the Staff, etc. etc. It's the "hub".

My husband was a little lost without the RP, but quickly got used to it because Radiance-class ships have the outdoor aft Windjammer seating, my favorite feature of this class. It is absolutely fabulous to take dinner back there, or coffee and dessert, and watch the sunset. Glorious. :)

She has been for refurb, so there is no huge art structure hanging down for several decks from the ceiling in the Centrum. This is now where they have aerial acts several times during the week so don't miss that.

You will find places to sit and relax; as mentioned, in the refurb she got a Park Café which is inside the solarium. We did not eat many meals or snacks here but many people did. There are tables and chairs there, or you can sit in a lounger in the Solarium. Also as mentioned, you can get your lovely snacks (sunflower granola bars - YUM!) at the specialty coffee stand, which is called Lattétudes. The drinks are for fee, but the snacks are included in your cruise fare. Take a couple of cookies and sit next to the window in the lounge there or go outside on Deck 5 and find a chair.

I have no doubt you will love your B2B. We have done 2 now and wish we could always do them! Turnaround day is fun too, knowing you don't have to get off the ship. And yes, if there are enough consecutive cruisers, they usually have a private lunch in the dining room.