Big questions, looking for everyone's opinion

Jason6586

Hello all,

I have a couple questions that I am looking for my fellow cruise addicts opinions on. I am looking at booking my vacation for this fall/ early winter soon and i'm kind of torn on what to do so i'm asking for help from all my other cruiseaholics. First off I have a total of 18 available days that I can use in any form I wish. If you were looking to book your vacation for at least 12 to a maximum of 18 days would you look for a cruise of that many days or would you prefer to maybe do a B2B and find one with different port stops? Would you do a 7 or 8 day cruise and then a 7 or so day land resort stay B2B? Would you do a 12+ day transatlantic voyage either east or westbound from or to the US? I realize that Carnival isn't offering any TA's this year, I wouldn't be opposed to cruise a different line but I have had such great luck with Carnival it would take a little more thought to switch than other options possibly.

Would you book a 7 to 12 or so day cruise and visit the port city either before or after the cruise for a week or so not staying at a resort? I have been somewhat more interested in possibly doing a river cruise, would that be your choice? How about seeing if at all possible what the chances of booking three 5 or 6 day cruises B2B either with Carnival or others but leaving the same port on the same ship or others since you have to change staterooms regardless most of the time. I'm sure i'm missing a few available different options so if anyone has any other ideas please feel free to share. If you have anything at all that you would like to add or share please do so, everyone's opinions and ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Also I should add, at this time I would be going solo unless my GF can find a way to get off work but since she just started her new job she has no built up vacation time until she's been there for 6 months. Once she get's to 6 months she gets 2 vacation days and then an additional 1 day every month after but can only use a maximum of 8 days at one time. With that being said and my job being totally different on vacation day policy I have to use my days before the end of Dec 2013 or I lose them. I currently have 10 days of vacation and if i didn't use any until the end of December i would have a total of 20 days. We plan to camp during the summer but only on the weekends so I wouldn't be using any vacation on that so i'm trying to make the best of any and all available options. My wonderful, caring and loving GF has no problem or concern at all with any decision I make (until she gets situated in her job and has built up vacation, lol :) then she will be making the decisions with me. So as I said i'm just looking for all my fellow cruisers opinions on what you guys would do.

Thank You ever so much, have a great day & weekend!

Jason

Jason, I read another post were there are several Carnival cruisees that are not charging a single suppliment. I would look at these and ossibly do a back to back if possible.

Jason, I read another post were there are several Carnival cruisees that are not charging a single suppliment. I would look at these and ossibly do a back to back if possible.

I also remember hearing that somewhere but how would a person go about finding out what ships and dates that's offered on?

Thanks Again

Fly to Thailand and do a side trip to Cambodia and Vietnam! Then go on a cruise with your Girlfriend when she has some vacation time;)

We just got back from a cruise to Hong Kong and Japan and the people on the cruise who were on before we got on raved about Thailand and Cambodia and Viet Nam-never thought it would be fun but now, can not wait to go.

Love Carnival but they do not go to any place that I have not been but if I would go on anything, I would do Alaska but only end of May-October and add in Denali on a land trip. If that does work for you or you to do like the idea of Vietnam, etc., I would suggest a 10-12 day cruise in Europe as a back to back

(2 seven day or a 10 and 7 day) would push your limit on your vacation days, as you need to go into any port city the day before-US or the world- and you need to give yourself a day after you get home to relax and catch up.

I think in Europe, I loved Barcelona to Monte Carlo, Cannes, and that area or the Greek Islands to be sure to include Santorini and maybe parts of Italy or Turkey.

You have so many choices, but hate to see you lose your vacation time. Solo people can meet so many people to tour with, especially if you get on the roll call for your cruise(s). You can take a vacation with your girl in early 2015, when maybe she will have more vacation and you can cruise when the cruise includes a holiday she gets off on, so an extra day, like New Year's Eve(cruises more expensive over New Years) or many others.

Whatever you do, I know you will have a great time.

I have to use my days before the end of Dec 2013 or I lose them.

Jason

Did you mean 2014 or 2015? Some places let you carry over two years, some only one.

I would blow the whole 18 days on doing a 7 day back to back with a couple of days prior to and after nearby the port of embarkation.

Did you mean 2014 or 2015? Some places let you carry over two years, some only one.

I would blow the whole 18 days on doing a 7 day back to back with a couple of days prior to and after nearby the port of embarkation.

Oh I apologize, It would be for fall or early winter 2014

Thanks for catching that for me

We just got back from a cruise to Hong Kong and Japan and the people on the cruise who were on before we got on raved about Thailand and Cambodia and Viet Nam-never thought it would be fun but now, can not wait to go.

Love Carnival but they do not go to any place that I have not been but if I would go on anything, I would do Alaska but only end of May-October and add in Denali on a land trip. If that does work for you or you to do like the idea of Vietnam, etc., I would suggest a 10-12 day cruise in Europe as a back to back

(2 seven day or a 10 and 7 day) would push your limit on your vacation days, as you need to go into any port city the day before-US or the world- and you need to give yourself a day after you get home to relax and catch up.

I think in Europe, I loved Barcelona to Monte Carlo, Cannes, and that area or the Greek Islands to be sure to include Santorini and maybe parts of Italy or Turkey.

You have so many choices, but hate to see you lose your vacation time. Solo people can meet so many people to tour with, especially if you get on the roll call for your cruise(s). You can take a vacation with your girl in early 2015, when maybe she will have more vacation and you can cruise when the cruise includes a holiday she gets off on, so an extra day, like New Year's Eve(cruises more expensive over New Years) or many others.

Whatever you do, I know you will have a great time.

AGREE strongly!

With my family I'd probably do a cruise + land resort, though any of the options you presented look great.

However, being that you are going solo and leaving your gf behind, that's not the option I'd take.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

A "b2b" if you stick with Carnival would likely be a Caribbean sailing. Are you interested in those ports? Interested in water activities? etc. Have you been to Europe? Interest?, A transAtlantic has a lot of sea days, it is a good option with extra time in Europe, BUT these are longer cruises, so your Europe time, wouldn't be ideal, in my opinion, since I prefer at least a week or 2 extra. (gone a month)

Hawaii is excellent in my opinion, another yearly trip for me. NCL is the winner with itinerary, and ideal to open jaw extra time. I fly into Kona, stay a week, fly to Honolulu- a day or two, then cruise, final fly to Maui for another week.

With 18 days, I would still consider this option. Inter island flights are cheap and plentiful to consider.

NCL also does Europe cruises year round, not always good weather. Earlier would be "better".

Fall also has some nice New England itineraries, these are best b2b, with one way NYC/Quebec. Very scenic sailing with plenty to see and do in ports.

As already said- endless options. :) Good luck.

With that much time in fall/winter I would look at combining a Panama Canal cruise with something else. The most cost effective would probably be NCL. They have repackaged many canal itineraries with west coast, Mexican riviera and Caribbean itineraries.

I don't know how old you are but the longer the cruise the older your fellow cruisers will be. I have done both a 12 day transatlantic and a 14 panama canal and after about 10:00 the ship is dead quite.

If you want nightlife look for a back to back on the same ship with different itineraries. As an example the Dream out of New Orleans rotates it's itineraries each week. You could also spend a couple of days pre or post cruise in the Big Easy. You could also save on airfare and take a couple of days to drive to port.

Why not do a 7 or 8 day cruise and then use the rest of your vacation days incrementally, like days off here and there just to relax, catch up on things at home, etc. Maybe your GF could take off one of her newly earned days to spend with you on a long weekend or something like that.

Do a Mediterranean cruise and spend some extra time in Spain, France or Italy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This would be my first choice:D

I love the Mediterranean cruises! And I love France and Italy. I've never been to Spain (where my ancestors originated from) so I'd love to go there.

But if you've been there already then...

Hawaii, is also a great option. We've done many land vacations and one cruise there and loved every minute of each vacation there.:D

But if you've been there already too, then...

Alaska is awesome! We've cruised there once and I'd go back again too.

You have so many options! Just think of where YOU would like to go. And just go man! Have an awesome time wherever/whatever you decide. :D

I personally would love to be in your shoes...well, i kinda am lol.

I have researched river cruises as well.

Because I have a young son at home, I'm limited to what I can do and when. My job allows me plenty of time off, just the dh & ds don't lol.

I would love to do a TA cruise. That would be first on my list. I would spend a few days in a great city pre cruise (or post if leaving from the U.S.)

If those dates/iten. didn't work out for me, then I'd look at river cruising. For me, Viking seems to be the most reasonable for me. But again, this is something I would do alone, or with dh but NOT with ds.

Last, if the above didn't work out, I'd do a b2b if I was able to get to different itineraries that would be great on the same ship. If not, I'd be okay with actually switching ships in port, say....Miami, where one could easily go to the next ship just a ways down. But for that hassle involving packing up etc, it better be a good itinerary.

I have done plenty of land vacations. I love those too. But there's nothing like being on the ocean!

Good luck and have fun with whatever you choose. My choice if I had the $'s, time off etc would be Trans Atlantic!