Athens restaurant recomendations

Major Pete

Good afternoon. We are staying in Athens for 2 nights pre cruise in the Grande Bretagne. Having stayed before we intend having a meal in the hotel on the first night but would love a recommendation for the second evening.

Ideally we are looking at a restaurant within walking distance of the hotel, but are open to suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Good afternoon. We are staying in Athens for 2 nights pre cruise in the Grande Bretagne. Having stayed before we intend having a meal in the hotel on the first night but would love a recommendation for the second evening.

Ideally we are looking at a restaurant within walking distance of the hotel, but are open to suggestions.

Try going on the site TripAdvisor.com--it's a sister website to this one....You should get some good recommendatins from them....

I stayed at Grande Bretagne a couple of years ago and had very nice dinner at a nearby, well-recommended restaurant called "O Tzitzikas Ke O Mermigkas" (which translates into the Ant and the Grasshopper, I think).

Anyway, the food was very good -- Greek without being overly touristy Greek.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g189400-d799151-Reviews-O_Tzitzikas_Ke_O_Mermigkas-Athens_Attica.html

If you walk out the front door of the GB, facing Syntagma Square, turn right and walk around the perimeter of the park until you pass the McDonalds, then turn right on the next side street (away from the Square). The restaurant is on the right; the exterior is not very prepossessing but you will enjoy the interior and the meal. (The only shortcoming = no views, but you'll have those galore at the hotel.)

Another great traditional food experience nearby are the pies at Ariston Bakery. Delicious savory hand-sized pies with a mouth-watering range of fillings. One or two of these is a great lunch on the go or a snack to tide you over to dinnertime. A real DO NOT MISS experience in my book.

http://www.culinarybackstreets.com/athens/2012/ariston/

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last weekend.

Had al fresco dinner at GODS restaurant Makrigianni 23-27, +30 210 9233721

It was on the street where you enter/exit Acropolis Metro, right next to Museum & 5 minute walk from Acropolis itself.

Home style Greek food, my wife & I had a Greek sampling platter for two which had tastings of six different items, just yummy.

If you go, please enjoy & have fun.

I stayed at Grande Bretagne a couple of years ago and had very nice dinner at a nearby, well-recommended restaurant called "O Tzitzikas Ke O Mermigkas" (which translates into the Ant and the Grasshopper, I think).

Anyway, the food was very good -- Greek without being overly touristy Greek.

Thanks for that recommendation - very timely. We'll be staying just around the corner from there in less than 2 weeks and were looking for a nice restaurant close to our hotel as we arrive late and don't want to have to wander around for ages trying to find somewhere :)