Main dining in Alaska on Westerdam

Megan01

Perhaps I'm not seeing it here or on the HAL website, but we are booked on the Westerdam for May 31 7 days from Seattle to Alaska and have been assigned main fixed seating in the upper level of the dining room. My mother is cruising with me this time and it's her first cruise. I would like to confirm for her the dining time but don't see it anywhere. Does anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Fixed seating in the MDR is either "Early" or "Late" seating. Early would be somewhere between 5:15 and 5:45pm. Late seating is usually somewhere between 7:45 and 8:15pm. These times may vary slightly depending on where the ship is and guests being off on tours, etc.

Perhaps I'm not seeing it here or on the HAL website, but we are booked on the Westerdam for May 31 7 days from Seattle to Alaska and have been assigned main fixed seating in the upper level of the dining room. My mother is cruising with me this time and it's her first cruise. I would like to confirm for her the dining time but don't see it anywhere. Does anyone know?

You can not do it on HAL's site.

Your TA must make the reservations -- you need to have the confirmations from your mother and you so that the TA can do it.

If you booked through HAL -- then you need to call HAL and have them do it.

Since you are so close to cruising, I hope you can make it happen.

You can not do it on HAL's site.

Your TA must make the reservations -- you need to have the confirmations from your mother and you so that the TA can do it.

If you booked through HAL -- then you need to call HAL and have them do it.

Since you are so close to cruising, I hope you can make it happen.

Yes we have been told it's the late sitting. I was just hoping to know what time that would be if anyone knows. I understand it varies based on destination. I'm hoping for Alaska it's not too much beyond 8 pm.

Yes we have been told it's the late sitting. I was just hoping to know what time that would be if anyone knows. I understand it varies based on destination. I'm hoping for Alaska it's not too much beyond 8 pm.

On our 1st Alaska cruise (September - Zuiderdam) early seating was 5:30; late seating at 7:45. Open seating hours were 5:15-9:00.

2nd cruise (June - Zaandam) early seating was 5:45; late at 8:00. Open seating 5:15-9:00.

To clarify, when you check in for the cruise you will each be given your boarding cards. On the face of the card, on the lower left, your dining time along with your assigned table number is listed. If this is not to your satisfaction you can change it onboard if you see the Maitre D' in the MDR.

This thread was very helpful for me. Thank you. I had booked Main dining, thinking it was the main dining room. We wanted the Early seating.

I just called HAL and the Early seating is already full. So they changed us from Main to Open.

This thread was very helpful for me. Thank you. I had booked Main dining, thinking it was the main dining room. We wanted the Early seating.

I just called HAL and the Early seating is already full. So they changed us from Main to Open.

Early dining fills up super early. You could also check when you first get on board and may be able to get it changed. That said, i like the open dining. I was the last person to think i would.

Early dining fills up super early. You could also check when you first get on board and may be able to get it changed. That said, i like the open dining. I was the last person to think i would.

You can also call HAL and the phone rep should be able to tell you how far down the wait list you are. They can usually give you an idea of how good your chances of getting your desire time are.

On our HAL Alaska cruise we did Open seating and really liked it since it was so flexible. We did not have to watch the time for dinner but could go early or late, depending on what we wanted.

You can also call HAL and the phone rep should be able to tell you how far down the wait list you are. They can usually give you an idea of how good your chances of getting your desire time are.

When i used to book traditional there were some cruises when you couldn't even get on the waitlist. That was too full. The hal crowd generally leans toward early in north america anyway so it can be difficult.

When i used to book traditional there were some cruises when you couldn't even get on the waitlist. That was too full. The hal crowd generally leans toward early in north america anyway so it can be difficult.

We're wait listed for late on a Caribbean B2B late this fall. Luckily we're less than 10 spots away from making it.

We just loves us some late dining, rigid scheduling, and strict dress codes. :cool:

We're wait listed for late on a Caribbean B2B late this fall. Luckily we're less than 10 spots away from making it.

We just loves us some late dining, rigid scheduling, and strict dress codes. :cool:

I get up at 4:10 am to go to work so i'm an early bird. I'm a morning person anyway. I remember on some cruises years ago i was forced to take late. Ended up eating 4 times a day. The last thing i need is another meal:D.