Ship swaying

I haven't been on a cruise for a lot of years and leave a week from today. I'm nervous about the Oasis swaying a lot since it's huge?? My anxiety is getting the best of me. Anyone have issues with this? Does the ship feel safe??

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by leannhb

On Allure, while we did feel some motion one day, we really missed the swaying we've had on smaller ships. Of course our cruise in March on Grandeur more than made up for the sway and motion - we had 25-30 foot waves all day on our next to last sea day.

My DH said being on Allure was like being in a hotel.

Edited by BND

One of my sons was fine on Carnival Fantasy a few years ago.

Two years ago, on the Allure, he was VIOLENTLY sea sick...he swore he would never cruise again.

At this very moment, he is on a cruise. Why? Because had I known he was going to be soooooo seasick on our last cruise, I would have had him take Bonine.

It is over the counter. You start taking it the day BEFORE your cruise. (which he did).

They called me from Grand Turk yesterday and NO PROBLEMS at all. Get Bonine....just in case. :):):)

PS>>>>THE SHIP FEELS VERY SAFE...IT IS AMAZING

Edited by champagne123
XXXXX

One of my sons was fine on Carnival Fantasy a few years ago.

Two years ago, on the Allure, he was VIOLENTLY sea sick...he swore he would never cruise again.

At this very moment, he is on a cruise. Why? Because had I known he was going to be soooooo seasick on our last cruise, I would have had him take Bonine.

It is over the counter. You start taking it the day BEFORE your cruise. (which he did).

They called me from Grand Turk yesterday and NO PROBLEMS at all. Get Bonine....just in case. :):):)

PS>>>>THE SHIP FEELS VERY SAFE...IT IS AMAZING

Yes, Bonine is the right thing, it works great. Just take it as a precautionary measure and you should be fine.

The bigger the ship the better, they are more stable than a high rise building.

OMHO........I'm afraid your story is not beneficial for someone who needs talking down on their nerves.....

Don't worry Leannhb....you will have a great time!!:D

Yes, Bonine is the right thing, it works great. Just take it as a precautionary measure and you should be fine.

The bigger the ship the better, they are more stable than a high rise building.

OMHO........I'm afraid your story is not beneficial for someone who needs talking down on their nerves.....

Don't worry Leannhb....you will have a great time!!:D

LOL....Yes, you are right. But I would HATE to see anyone suffer, unnecessarily, when it could be prevented. The rest of us (7 people) never felt a thing on the Allure...Poor Frank....in bed for the whole 7 days. :(

Edited by champagne123
bbbbb

LOL....Yes, you are right. But I would HATE to see anyone suffer, unnecessarily, when it could be prevented. The rest of us (7 people) never felt a thing on the Allure...Poor Frank....in bed for the whole 7 days. :(

On one cruise a "little old lady" seriously told me "the more you pay the more you sway" - stuck in my mind and I think there is some truth in it - lower floors and mid ship more stable.

On one cruise a "little old lady" seriously told me "the more you pay the more you sway" - stuck in my mind and I think there is some truth in it - lower floors and mid ship more stable.

Good point and you may be correct. I have nothing to compare it to, as I am guilty of going with Deck 6 and above.

On Oasis last February, never felt the ship move once. I am the seasick queen and I was thrilled with no movement. Never took any meds the entire trip which is a first for me....

On don't ask about the flights.... yikes!

Have a great trip and no worries. Like others said, Bonine or ginger pills.

In my experience I have found that seasickness, except under extreme conditions, is a self-fulfilling prophesy. If you think too much about it, you're more likely to get it.

Just get into the wonderful adventure you're about to have, enjoy the ship, the food, the activities and the new friends you will meet! You will be so into the fun, you will forget you ever thought about "the motion of the ocean."

Have a great cruise!

In my experience I have found that seasickness, except under extreme conditions, is a self-fulfilling prophesy. If you think too much about it, you're more likely to get it.

Just get into the wonderful adventure you're about to have, enjoy the ship, the food, the activities and the new friends you will meet! You will be so into the fun, you will forget you ever thought about "the motion of the ocean."

Have a great cruise!

Um, no. My very first cruise out of FL in pretty good seas I thought nothing of it. Was having a great time and then it hit. Don't tell people it's all mind over matter. It's not. It's all inner ear and everyone is different. Just because you don't get seasick, doesn't mean others don't. The reality is, everyone is susceptible because everyone has their motion. I take Bonine (generic version actually) and start the day before. On Allure, I probably could have gone without it, but why chance it? No side effects and no seasickness either.

It's not fair, nor is it good advice to tell someone if they don't think about it, it won't happen.

Edited by BND

Um, no. My very first cruise out of FL in pretty good seas I thought nothing of it. Was having a great time and then it hit. Don't tell people it's all mind over matter. It's not. It's all inner ear and everyone is different. Just because you don't get seasick, doesn't mean others don't. The reality is, everyone is susceptible because everyone has their motion. I take Bonine (generic version actually) and start the day before. On Allure, I probably could have gone without it, but why chance it? No side effects and no seasickness either.

It's not fair, nor is it good advice to tell someone if they don't think about it, it won't happen.

I did start by saying "its been my experience." Obviously your experience was different. Whether your advice, mine or someone else's is better is up to the reader. That is what's fun about blogging, no?

It's always good to be prepared. We've been on the Oasis once and the Allure twice and never had a problem but I don't care how big the ship is, if you hit rough seas, there's a chance you may have a problem. I have never had a problem even on rough seas but the wife, not so much. She always brings something just in case.

I did start by saying "its been my experience." Obviously your experience was different. Whether your advice, mine or someone else's is better is up to the reader. That is what's fun about blogging, no?

You may have started that way with your first sentence, but you didn't end that way. Point is, you told the OP that if they "think too much about it, they're more likely to get it".

As others and I have said, better to be prepared.

On my Oasis cruise a couple years back, I felt a bit seasick (which I didn't feel on the Allure a year before so I didn't bring any meds). Guest Services gave me free Dramamine (or something comparable, obviously generic) throughout the week. Not sure if they still do this or not but nice to know in case you get stuck onboard without meds.

We got off Oasis this morning. There was very little motion all week. As others say, low and center is best to minimize motion, but the sea state has a lot to do with motion. I spent a lot of time on Navy ships years ago (Marines) and was always seasick on the first day out - except my last trip when I didn't have time to realize I wasn't sick. One trick an old chief passed on was to eat dry toast or crackers. That seamed to settle my stomach.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forums mobile app

All the big ships have stabilizers to "help" with the motion. That said, we were on a cruise 3 years ago with really rough seas and lots of up-and-down motion. What saved me was: 1) I took Bonine daily starting 2 days before the cruise; 2) I wore sea bands on my wrists pretty much all the time; and 3) I brought Dramamine in case it got really bad.

While I could still feel the motion, taking the Bonine prevented the rough seas from making me sick from it.

If you suffer from anxiety, then leaving the house is not necessarily the best vacation option. Anxiety is easily treated, so I would focus on that first. Once you have taken care of hat issue, then you can enjoy a nice cruise vacation. The big ships don't have much movement, but you are, after all, on a ship on the ocean, so there may be some movement, and you will need to be able to handle it calmly, so that you and your fellow passengers can enjoy your vacation.