Tracy Arm, Glacier Bay and Southwest comparison?

Fog123

Just checking to see if I'm in the right ballpark. We will be travelling with two friends and they are unconvinced about Tracy Arm, but admit that they don't know much about it.

All four of us have spent some time travelling the southwest. And here's how I see it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Glacier Bay is like the Grand Canyon. Majestic, impressive, and spectacular. Tracy Arm is more intimate, like Canyon de Chelly or Antelope Valley, or Valley of Fire.

Does that seem about right?

Each is beautiful in their own way and it'll depend on the person. While we enjoyed the Grand Canyon, the smaller, more intimate locations made us fall in love with the SW.

We have booked Tracy Arm for ourselves.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

To me, Tracy Arm was more about the fjord, as you may or may not get to see the glaciers. Depending on the timing of your cruise, there may be too much ice to get to the end.

Glacier Bay you will see 4 or 5 glaciers. If glacier viewing is important, and you only have one opportunity to view glaciers, Glacier Bay would be the better choice.

To me, Tracy Arm was more about the fjord, as you may or may not get to see the glaciers. Depending on the timing of your cruise, there may be too much ice to get to the end.

Glacier Bay you will see 4 or 5 glaciers. If glacier viewing is important, and you only have one opportunity to view glaciers, Glacier Bay would be the better choice.

I completely agree with this assessment.

I'm about to book a cruise for this July with my kids, and I've been trying to get their opinions. They've been to Alaska twice before, but only the oldest (21) really remembers the first trip. His opinion is that he's seen College Fjord and Hubbard (first trip) and Glacier Bay (second trip) so he'd really like to see Tracy Arm this time, even if it means we don't see the glacier at the end.

My husband, OTOH, would go to Glacier Bay every time. To him, it's all about the glaciers. We've been to Tracy Arm twice and Glacier Bay 3 times. We've seen more wildlife sailing in/out of Glacier Bay too, which is also a factor for him.

I like them both in different ways. Sailing through the narrow fjord of Tracy Arm is spectacular, but the glaciers are much more impressive in Glacier Bay.

There is about a 100% chance of seeing Glacier Bay. Tracy Arm is often missed.

If this is possibly the only time you will make it to Alaska, go with Glacier Bay.

I have had 4 (maybe 5) attempts at Tracy Arm, and missed the glacier each time. Twice, been re-directed to Endicott Arm.

Edited by Coral

Our itinerary does include Glacier Bay. Our debate was whether to include Tracy Arm as an excursion or just had straight into Juneau.

We did a spectacular glacier trip last year in Iceland and have also seen them in the Rockies so glaciers are always appreciated, but not necessarily the sole reason.

I love the comparison to Bryce, that makes me excited and happy with our choice to do the add-on. Our trip is early July so we'll keep our fingers crossed for the ice conditions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Tracy Arm is like visiting the Grand Canyon on a tour bus and not stopping, just driving by. If you take a small boat tour of Tracy Arm it is like hiking down into the Canyon. No comparison.

We've seen more wildlife sailing in/out of Glacier Bay

I've seen several posts where people say there is more wildlife to see in this area. We've taken two Alaska cruises but have not seen Glacier Bay yet.

If you're out on the deck/balcony can you enjoy seeing wildlife without binoculars?

Thanks!

I've seen several posts where people say there is more wildlife to see in this area. We've taken two Alaska cruises but have not seen Glacier Bay yet.

If you're out on the deck/balcony can you enjoy seeing wildlife without binoculars?

Thanks!

You may see the wildlife, but binoculars will blow them up 8x, 10x or whatever power they are. Last year in Glacier Bay the naturalist pointed out a grizzly bear that looked like a sesame seed to the naked eye, but binoculars brought it into plain view; same with the puffins and sea otters, many of which could not have been identified without the binoculars. They greatly enhanced the experience for me. I use mine for lots of other activies as well.

You may see the wildlife' date=' but binoculars will blow them up 8x, 10x or whatever power they are. Last year in Glacier Bay the naturalist pointed out a grizzly bear that looked like a sesame seed to the naked eye, but binoculars brought it into plain view; same with the puffins and sea otters, many of which could not have been identified without the binoculars. They greatly enhanced the experience for me. I use mine for lots of other activies as well.[/quote']

Thanks for your answer. I'll be sure to pack mine.

Happy crusing!

You may see the wildlife' date=' but binoculars will blow them up 8x, 10x or whatever power they are. Last year in Glacier Bay the naturalist pointed out a grizzly bear that looked like a sesame seed to the naked eye, but binoculars brought it into plain view; same with the puffins and sea otters, many of which could not have been identified without the binoculars. They greatly enhanced the experience for me. I use mine for lots of other activies as well.[/quote']

This is a good way to put it. When I looked at sea otters without them; I saw three dots. With them, there was a beautiful face and two flippers!

Enjoy!