Carry-on only for 7 day cruise?

I do carry-on only for trips ranging from a weekend to over 30 days. For 7 days or longer we always do laundry. We wear the bulkiest stuff on the plane and try to avoid packing heavy/thick jeans. We also don't really do formal nights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You can do it. When flying we try to do the same. I rent a tux onboard for formal nights and my wife's cocktail dress can be rolled and pressed onboard if needed. Our best advice we have gotten and now share is bring half the clothes and a bit more money. You can do it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

I could not believe what we had packed last trip when we went to repack at the end of the trip. So many things not worn at all! We wash underwear and hang it in the bathroom, and also have a suction cap twist line for in the room if we do some t-shirts etc. We find the laundry service does not add up to much (compared to a few drinks!) and we send most of our items away with them coming back nicely pressed.

I think our main reason for over packing was that we have had a few issues with check baggage, and we over packed to have backups in case a bag was lost. Carry on solves that issue!

Then like you say, the waiting around for the big bags, and the sore arms from rolling them along pavers, and onto trains. Taking them on the escalators is scary! So we are having a good look at how we pack next time.

My kids and I are sailing Freedom in August 2015. I want to do carry-ons only, I think it would just make everything that much easier. Do-able? We are over formal nights so there will be no formal clothes to bother with. And I NEVER wear or use everything we bring. I have no problem paying for laundry service for a few items during the week. If anyone else does/has done this, input is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Very achievable

Not sure if you are flying, as that may be the only issue you have with liquids so you would need to decant into travel size containers.

If flying and we don't want to check in anything we either work out where to buy sunscreen etc when we get there or get inside airport. We normally get through in a week so not worried about not bringing back.

We find it easiest to pack all the clothes into the cases well folded, we also take expandable travel case as find still able to get on no problem.

Flip flops etc fit easily in outer zip. We use a backpack as our personal item which we load with shoes. That allows the main person with an oversize purse to carry passports etc and then any other kids can have a small back pack "packed" to bring back any gifts souvenirs etc.

Enjoy:D

Airlines are tightening up on the "carry on" plus a backpack and/or large purse - recently have seen people made to check one of them. There just is not enough room in overheads for all the stuff people are carrying on.

Also, wonder what people do with toiletries when they just do carry on - thinking particularly sunscreen - I always need and take a large bottle/tube/aerosal of sunscreen - how do you handle this?

I have learned to pack well - e.g. week in Europe followed by TA cruise - but I know I couldn't do just a carry on!

Never had a problem provided second item is within airline dimensions and the second item fits under the seat. It's only if the second item doesn't fit under seat they impose this from my understanding.

Regarding toiletries each person has a ziplock. Provided each tube toothpaste is travel size and deodorant, mouthwash etc all travel size amazing what you can fit in a ziplock ;) sunscreen either buy when get into terminal and ditch on the way back or buy when I get to the destination

For those of you who wash your clothes in the stateroom: how do you do this? Do you bring detergent from home or use the bar soap/gel from the shower? I've washed my undies in the stateroom sink using bar soap, but wouldn't have considered washing larger articles of clothing. Clearly I'm dependent on modern comforts (i.e. washing machine), so thanks for advice. :)

I bring 1oz packages of Tide detergent to wash out my bathing suits. Don't trust the 'wash and fold' for delicate items.

We are going on a 7 night Mediterranean cruise in 2 weeks with a couple of days prior in Barcelona and then taking the AVE train to Madrid for a 3 day stay after disembarkation. Each of us are taking a21 inch carry on and another personal item ( Baggallini tote for me) and computer case for hubby. We are doing formal nights as well with me taking a black cocktail dress with jacket with another longer black dress than can be dressed up or down depending on accessories (belt, jewelry, scarf). My hubby is wearing a sports jacket on the plane but we did recently decide to go with renting a tux rather than lugging a suit across Europe. The key to getting everything to fit is deciding first on a color scheme of one to two colors where you you can wear each of your tops with your bottoms ( pants, leggings, capris, and or skirt for bottoms). I really love Columbia Anytime outdoor pants and capris. They are lightweight, sun protecting, rain resistant, and the wrinkles come right out when unpacked. I pair these with Columbia skiff guide 3/4 sleeve tops and a lightweight scarf around neck or use as belt ( helps hide bulge of money belt). This is what I plan on wearing for most of our shore excursions in Europe. I also have a couple of knit Travelsmith dresses that pack easy and the look can be changed with a shrug, scarf, or pashmina. I'm using a couple of long handkerchief T's which will serve as multipurpose wear to sleep in , as a swimsuit coverup, or as casual wear with black leggings. I always wear leggings under my pants on planes because I freeze to death during a red eye flight. Sorry to make this such a long post but I think traveling light is the way to go! No fear of lost luggage and a more comfortable load to tote on trains, etc. It takes some planning but so worth it. The only problem I have is deciding which shoes I want to take;-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's not really that tough. We usually check bags, since we get free bags with our airline, but on a trip we took with 7 grandkids on a different airline, we made everyone pack in carry-on size because we weren't going to pay for 9 bags.

Wear your heaviest clothes; for us, sneakers, a jacket, a sweater are worn on the plane. We did do formal, or at least very dressy. My husband often wears his sport coat on the plane; that's as dressy as he gets nowadays anyway, the tux stays home.

For me, I had to limit my shoes to the sneakers (wear on plane), one pair of black heels and one pair of sandals. Choose versatile clothes that can mix and match and pack easily, like some knits or jerseys. Leave a lot of the 'what if' stuff home. Be ready to wear some things more than once, for instance outfits for dinner. A black skirt and pants can be worn with several different tops. If necessary, you can do some hand wash, or send laundry out, but we managed not to.

We spent 3 days in Florida and 5 days on a cruise. It can be done!

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

Cruises are easy to pack for in only a carry on. Especially Carribbean cruised. We travel with a intl size carry on roller boards which are about 1 inch smaller than the FAA allowed, and we only travel by carry on. We pack for both casual and formal nights as well as pool/beach by day and can fit it all. My wife also had no issue and generally brings 4-5 dresses of varipying formality, 3-4 pairs of shoes a pair of capris, 3-4 swimsuits, cover ups, and t-shirts. I bring a suit, 2 dress shirts, 5 casual evening shirts, 2 khaki type pants, 2, pairs of shorts, 3 swimsuits and 7 t-shirts, 1 pair of dress shoes, flip flops and workout gear (maybe once or twice I get to the gym).

How you pack also effects how much you can fit in too. Click on the video demo at the link below on a method that I find works well:

http://www.packinglight.net/travel_info_depot.aspx

For the most part we can pack for 7 days (for any climate - though not counting a big coat for cold weather which we would be wearing) no matter where we travel. If travelling to Europe and our trips are 7 days or longer we are usually rent an apartment with a w/d making it an easy process to pack.

Before switching to carry-on only, I had too many trips ruined (both biz and leisure) because luggage went missing.

Never had a problem provided second item is within airline dimensions and the second item fits under the seat. It's only if the second item doesn't fit under seat they impose this from my understanding.

Regarding toiletries each person has a ziplock. Provided each tube toothpaste is travel size and deodorant, mouthwash etc all travel size amazing what you can fit in a ziplock ;) sunscreen either buy when get into terminal and ditch on the way back or buy when I get to the destination

You may not have had a problem in the past but United now has seizers at the gates and if your bag, both personal and carry on, don't fit they have to be checked.

Here is a link that has a picture of it as well as some information.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1520594-new-united-carry-sizer-enforcement-policy-eff-1-march-2014-a.html

Shak

be aware that in Europe most airline only allow 1 carry on - I have even seen them make someone put their Kindle in the one bag as carrying it separate was not allowed. You are not even allowed to have a large travel wallet/ purse separately.

My dd and I managed 14 nights with our 2 carry ons including taking beach towels/ towels/ and bedding to our caravan in France.

Tip - dress like a weeble- take a fold up extra bag then strip off the layers when you are on the plane - We filled 2 bags with our excess cloths and the electronic gadgets/charges we had stuffed in the pockets of each layer (we would have had to pay an additional $112 per checked in bag - which was more than the seat cost).

Like many others, we travel that way for every trip. We do carry 4 bags- two that are the bags that fit in the overhead bin, and two that fit below your feet. Each person is allowed on bag, and one personal item.

We've experienced the Europe bag restriction- the "easy" way to deal with that is gate check it- not at the counter, but at the plane. that way it will be there shortly after you get off.

But, for the cruise specifically- schedule your items. on a calendar. While that will not prevent you from taking things you won't wear, it will reduce it by quite a bit.

The other hint- since you intend to carry your stuff around the ship, you should plan on stepping on board just after 1pm. Some ships open the rooms at 1, some at 1:30- so your rooms will either be ready, or the wait will be short by the time you get to the area closest to your cabin. I really dislike carrying all of our luggage around AND don't see much of a benefit of being on the ship that early.

Good luck!

The other hint- since you intend to carry your stuff around the ship, you should plan on stepping on board just after 1pm. Some ships open the rooms at 1, some at 1:30- so your rooms will either be ready, or the wait will be short by the time you get to the area closest to your cabin. I really dislike carrying all of our luggage around AND don't see much of a benefit of being on the ship that early.

Good luck!

You don't have to carry around your carry on. When you get to the terminal give it to the porter and it will be delivered to the room. In your smaller personal item put all valuables, meds, electronics etc and swimwear if you want.

No problem carrying that around

Edited by badatz

It's very doable. Just got back from the O of S on a 7 day. On day 3 they have the stuff the bag laundry special deal for $30.00 . we did it and had everything nicely laundered and back on day 4. You can do it. I do suggest probably having a back pack as well in addition to your carry on.

A backpack is equal to or more than the allowed carryon. The airlines as someone mentioned are getting to realize that.

Yes, it can be done! I discovered if I roll everything as tightly as possible and stack the rolls in my case, it works! I also have a carry on that has a separate hanging space, and that helps, too. I pack a small hipster bag in the suitcase so that does not count as a piece of luggage or carry on item, so I am essentially not taking a purse while I am sending my luggage through the conveyor belt. As another poster said, no one will notice the same pants at dinner and, most likely, they are doing the same thing.

Have a wonderful time!

You can easily do it all with a carry on, I've done all my vacations in recent memory with carry ons only for the same reason. Just don't overdue it, you don't need 3 pairs of shoes, you can live without random house appliances some people bring.

You don't have to carry around your carry on. When you get to the terminal give it to the porter and it will be delivered to the room. In your smaller personal item put all valuables, meds, electronics etc and swimwear if you want.

No problem carrying that around

Of course you don't have to.

But the OP posted explicitly to do that. What's the point of having carry on stuff if you don't carry it on?

We carry all of our luggage on, which was brought via carry on during a flight. It's not that heavy, or that bulky, and I can unpack right away instead of waiting for my luggage to arrive.

Your answer is interesting- someone asks if you can survive a trip with luggage you carry on, and you reply that they will carry it to your room. hmmm....

Of course you don't have to.

But the OP posted explicitly to do that. What's the point of having carry on stuff if you don't carry it on?

We carry all of our luggage on, which was brought via carry on during a flight. It's not that heavy, or that bulky, and I can unpack right away instead of waiting for my luggage to arrive.

Your answer is interesting- someone asks if you can survive a trip with luggage you carry on, and you reply that they will carry it to your room. hmmm....

Sorry but I don't follow you at all.

I reread the posts from the OP and no where does he/she say what you are saying. I understand them to not want to have to take suitcases on flights and wait around for luggage etc.

You posted about the issue of lugging the carry on around the ship until the room becomes available. You gave them a solution, i.e. come late. I gave them an alternative one

What's the problem?

Extremely doable

Always travel only using an 18" carry-on and small tote bag which doubles for a purse regardless of it being a land trip or cruise and also regardless of number of days. And yes I do attend formal dinners as the items I bring can be dressed up or down.

Sorry but I don't follow you at all.

I reread the posts from the OP and no where does he/she say what you are saying. I understand them to not want to have to take suitcases on flights and wait around for luggage etc.

You posted about the issue of lugging the carry on around the ship until the room becomes available. You gave them a solution, i.e. come late. I gave them an alternative one

What's the problem?

And I read it that they want to carry their bags on the ship. Which isn't what you think they are saying.

So there you go.

I guess the OP can explain if they want carry on for the plane, but not for the ship.

Although, to me, if I were going to carry on the airplane, which is a pain, I would carry on the ship, which isn't hard.

be aware that in Europe most airline only allow 1 carry on - I have even seen them make someone put their Kindle in the one bag as carrying it separate was not allowed. You are not even allowed to have a large travel wallet/ purse separately.

That's true…It pays to do a little research when picking airlines. We've only has one instance in Europe where we couldn't travel with a carry-on roller board and a separate backpack. In the end it was what it was and checked in and hoped for the best.

100% doable, especially for warm weather. I take a larger rolling bag (the biggest one allowed onboard by the airlines) and a cloth Vera Bradley tote that has a strap to fit over the handle. I travel this way all the time for business and because we've had a bad experience with lost luggage, have started to on cruises. Trust me, going to a mall in a foreign country where you don't speak the language and have to find clothes for a wedding is NOT fun! Lesson learned! We do take advantage of the laundry special on board, wear our jeans for travel, and DH usually chooses to pack heavier and take his chances on a checked bag.

I assumed the original poster meant carry-on the plane. I was under the impression that you had to turn over your luggage to RCCL once you hit the port. If you are allowed to carry on your "carry-on luggage" when you check-in then all the better:-). However, it would mean no free hands on deck till you got to check in your room. If you planned to swim or doing another activity then someone needs to be keeping an eye on the luggage I would think.

Sent from my iPad using Forums