Canadian cruisers -- is the US/Cdn $ exchange rate affecting your plans?

CowPrincess

Whenever possible, we avoid dealing with Canadian banks for exchange. We periodically get payments from the US. We gain about 2 percent, sometimes a little more, by having the funds converted to CAD at the US source rather than bringing them into Canada as a US cheque and then paying the exchange-even on custom exchange quotes. Or we just deposit in a US funds account.

[quote name='cruz chic']I wanted to come back and thank you for this tip. I did get this card and have used it and I'm happy with the exchange and not having to pay extra on top. I appreciate this info.[/QUOTE]

Pleased to have been able to be helpful!

[quote name='CowPrincess']Our next two cruises have been booked in Cdn $s because we found the Cdn price advantageous. The "sundry" expenses though (hotels, meals, HSC, other onboard spending, shorex) will be US $, and those add up quickly. For us, we often find the "sundry" expenses to be more money than the cruise price :eek: :D[/QUOTE]

You can pre-buy cruise credits online which you can use to cover "sundry" expenses and gratuities. I watch the Canadian dollar and when it seems to be at the top of an upward climb and seems likely to be going lower, I go online and buy sufficient cruise credit to cover those expenses. I also will book HAL shore excursions which I pay for at that time. This has saved me some anxiety and money in the past. I am watching the $ now as I have a two week cruise in October. You will find the location under your booking and Purchase - Indulgences.

Leslie

[quote name='cruz chic']I wanted to come back and thank you for this tip. I did get this card and have used it and I'm happy with the exchange and not having to pay extra on top. I appreciate this info.[/QUOTE]

[B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]I thank you too Kinta. I did not realize this. I have a Sears Master Card but never read the fine print.:)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]