Next Cruise Certificate -- UK / US question

Hi everyone.

I've found these forums to be invaluable for my upcoming cruise and hopefully for my future cruises as well.

I have read all about the Next Cruise Certificate but I have an unusual question that I know I've come across before but not under the same circumstances as my own.

I am a US Citizen, with a 'permanent' US address (my father's home address). I normally book my RCCL cruises through the US side, despite being a UK resident as I live in the UK with my British husband. After our last cruise, there was a really good offer (at the time) for us to book direct with the UK so we did that using his details to book the reservation.

Since then, I have learned about the major disadvantages of booking through the UK and I am hoping for our next cruise to book through the US. Because we are planning a longer cruise (probably a 15-night transatlantic), the option of booking this by phone or through a TA for the US side of things means a HUGE deposit which I'm not keen on. So instead I'm thinking of doing it by NCC onboard our cruise in June.

My concern is that, since our current booking is through the UK, despite all my previous cruises having been booked through the US side of things, that they won't let me book through the US side. I'm hoping though that as I am American, it won't be a big deal. I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts / experiences in this respect?

I will add: I am aware that the UK booking covers a form of travel guarantee but we carry top of the line worldwide travel insurance so that isn't really a concern for us.

I appreciate any responses.

Hi, I am surprised no one has answered you yet.

We are from the UK and book through RCI UK directly unless we see a deal with an agent.

In the past we have booked onboard with the LA/ future cruise sales person using the RCI US site and without a US address. As you have a permanent US address I don't see there being an issue, you just tell the LA you want to book tnrough the US site. When they access your details onboard ship it does default to the agent where you purchased the current cruise, just make sure it is changed.

I am interested in the problems you faced booking through the UK.

Hi, I am surprised no one has answered you yet.

We are from the UK and book through RCI UK directly unless we see a deal with an agent.

In the past we have booked onboard with the LA/ future cruise sales person using the RCI US site and without a US address. As you have a permanent US address I don't see there being an issue, you just tell the LA you want to book tnrough the US site. When they access your details onboard ship it does default to the agent where you purchased the current cruise, just make sure it is changed.

I am interested in the problems you faced booking through the UK.

Thanks very much for your reply, it is appreciated!

I didn't have any problems booking in the UK, I just meant that we booked through the UK as there was a really good sale on at the time including $400OBC. In the end though, the price drops that have been available for US customers are not an option for UK cruisers, although by some miracle a phone call I made where I was adamant about receiving a price drop was successful (I suspect because I was first speaking to Guatemala during their very early stages and was transferred to a supervisor who I believe was from the US -- and therefore may not have been as aware of the differences between honouring price drops between US and UK side of things). In any case, I DID manage to save £400 on the fare price but we lost the $400OBC. Not a big deal, still a better savings overall so the price is good, but even now, the price for US passengers would have been less if I'd gone through the US side. Oh well, live and learn!

I am very excited to be booking another cruise and it sounds like I should be okay onboard. I hope this time the LA is interested -- on our cruise on the Grandeur, the guy absolutely could not be bothered even though we had everything picked out, and we ended up just booking once we got off the ship as we ended up getting a FCC due to some hospitality issues and saved a few hundred dollars that way instead.

Thanks again!!

I'm no expert on NCC and I have ever only purchased once. I'm UK based and book through RCCL UK, I purchased my last NCC onboard Allure whilst in the Caribbean. I didn't see the LA but submitted my NCC request via the letterbox method. I did write a note on my request to issue my NCC in Pound Sterling rather than US Dollar. I'm not sure whether this will make your decision whether you are allowed to book via US or UK site based on the currency of the NCC.

Edited by sky0000547

In case you are not aware, the NCC went through a major change ths past March. I'm not 100% sure that the change applies to UK NCCs, so it would be wise to confirm the terms before purchase.

The US/Canadian based NCC has had the on board credit reduced significantly, such that it is worth much more (in the future on board credit) to book a specific cruise than to purchase an NCC.

Edited by clarea

Hello again,

with regards your comments re Guatemala, I agree there has been total confusion there.

We had some issues to start off with but so far everything has worked out in our favour. I suspect the same as yourself that the inexperienced person spoke to someone who considered our booking as if from the US. Time will tell for any future cruises.

I answered your query as if you were going to book a specific cruise onboard. You can of course purchase a Next Cruise Certificate in either Dollars or Sterling. I know someone not from the US who did although they are no longer worth purchasing in our eyes.

Edited by heatherb1958

Hello again,

with regards your comments re Guatemala, I agree there has been total confusion there.

We had some issues to start off with but so far everything has worked out in our favour. I suspect the same as yourself that the inexperienced person spoke to someone who considered our booking as if from the US. Time will tell for any future cruises.

I answered your query as if you were going to book a specific cruise onboard. You can of course purchase a Next Cruise Certificate in either Dollars or Sterling. I know someone not from the US who did although they are no longer worth purchasing in our eyes.

I'm mainly interested in using the NCC because it means we only pay a $100 deposit instead of a potentially $900 deposit for a 15night cruise. That is the big reason for me. I have checked and prices are okay for the cruise length, and if the price does go down, and I've booked it as a US booking, I can get the price matched. I'm not really fussed about the 'onboard credit' but it's more about the reduced deposit, as we're looking at such a long cruise.