Freedom of the Seas, May 3, 2015 Not available for booking?

Understand completely....when I saw the first marketing & advertising for this last May, the

line up really caught my attention but the pricing was way out of "whack" so it did not represent value so the lack of bookings was not a surprise....I was also surprise that the Freedom (3800+ full berth) was chosen....I would have launch with a much smaller, older vessel and priced below current competition market levels.......I revisited this charter when this thread was posted on CruiseCritics

Hope it turns out ok for all guests booked

Agreed. I would expect Royal Caribbean to take a very strong stance on this. Though I should say, they're making out like bandits. They have money from the bond. They're selling the cabins independently. If they would still welcome the performers on board - any portion of the lineup - in their own right, then they'll get the entertainment part of it. RC has nothing to lose in this, financially.

Agreed. I would expect Royal Caribbean to take a very strong stance on this. Though I should say, they're making out like bandits. They have money from the bond. They're selling the cabins independently. If they would still welcome the performers on board - any portion of the lineup - in their own right, then they'll get the entertainment part of it. RC has nothing to lose in this, financially.

I'm sure you're correct. Except what I'd say they have to lose is customer goodwill as this story gets out, and although I'm not a lawyer and don't even play one on TV, it would seem that by allowing this to openly continue for months after they apparently cancelled the charter and (assumedly) got access to the bond money, they're very possible open to being considered an accessory to the crime - and if so, THEY have the deep pockets that Maxwellatsea does not!

I just realized the Maxwell FB page blocked me from posting/liking or doing anything on their page. Wowza.

Further proving the naysayers correct.

The one post on their page about the cancellation, I screencapped. Just in case.

(PS: please PM me?)

Is it terrible I'm making popcorn to watch them flounder?

I'm sure you're correct. Except what I'd say they have to lose is customer goodwill as this story gets out, and although I'm not a lawyer and don't even play one on TV, it would seem that by allowing this to openly continue for months after they apparently cancelled the charter and (assumedly) got access to the bond money, they're very possible open to being considered an accessory to the crime - and if so, THEY have the deep pockets that Maxwellatsea does not!

Probably, RC didn't even know the MaxwellAtSea people were still taking bookings after the cancellation, and until their corporate offices were alerted, they probably didn't know about the false advertising. I just can't imagine they wouldn't have shut that down where it stands, if they knew the customers were under the impression it was happening.

It also depends on their contract structure. If the contract declares the bond forfeit to RCI in case of cancellation, which I'm pretty confident most of these sorts of contracts do, then RCI has little to worry about.

Edited by LadyMage

I just realized the Maxwell FB page blocked me from posting/liking or doing anything on their page. Wowza.

They don't check their page very often though! I posted 21 hours ago about it being fraudulent as the charter was cancelled by RCI in November, and my post is still there. LOL! Will let you know how long it lasts! :)

They don't check their page very often though! I posted 21 hours ago about it being fraudulent as the charter was cancelled by RCI in November, and my post is still there. LOL! Will let you know how long it lasts! :)

I have a screencap of it if they do delete it. :)

Notabene: check the "Other" folder on your FB messages...

Edited by LadyMage

Funny...my friends & I were just discussing that pipe dream...make lemonaide out of lemons...the Maxwell folks would refund the difference back to their guests and RCI could "beta test" their version of Carnival LIVE with concerts with a reduced select line up as part of the overall entertainment offering...my experience in 2005 on the Carnival Conquest was that our private entertainment was much better then Carnival's regular entertainment and guests not part of our private group wanted to be in the concerts and were willing to pay a small cover charge (promoter wisely declined their offer)

I am sure RCI's legal team is enforcing every line of the small print in the charter contract along with penalties

Wow, I joined this cruise community to find out more about cruising since this Maxwell & The 7 Seas cruise would be my first! I was so excited to go on my first cruise, plus see many of my favorite artists at the same time, but reading this thread regarding charter issues, and not being informed by any travel agents regarding this celebrity cruise event, I'm starting to think that I should've never booked it at all! :confused:

I really don't know how they're going to work this out since we ( me and my sis) were expecting to have exclusivity to the ship for the major price we spent for the cabins for this event.

It's upsetting that this "all exclusive, full charter" Maxwell experience is going to be shared with customers who probably have no idea who Maxwell is!! It's going to take away from the experience of sailing with people who have the same musical interests as my own and I would be able to relate to.

I really hope this gets sorted out, or they just cancel the whole darn thing so I can get over the $3,000 I spent for this cruise back, and use it for a more enjoyable vacation.

Lovenharmony...hope it works out for you...if you are a fan of the line up of artists that are listed for the Maxwell cruise...and you want a full charter music experience at a reasonable cost, with an experienced organization,..., you should check out the Capital Jazz SuperCruise (this will be their 9th straight charter) in October sailing out of San Juan for 8 days & nights......this will be our 6th straight SuperCruise

If you go to the Roll Call thread on CC...click on the Carnival Liberty....you will find the thread...better hurry it's on target to be another sell out in the next few weeks

Wow, I joined this cruise community to find out more about cruising since this Maxwell & The 7 Seas cruise would be my first! I was so excited to go on my first cruise, plus see many of my favorite artists at the same time, but reading this thread regarding charter issues, and not being informed by any travel agents regarding this celebrity cruise event, I'm starting to think that I should've never booked it at all! :confused:

I really don't know how they're going to work this out since we ( me and my sis) were expecting to have exclusivity to the ship for the major price we spent for the cabins for this event.

It's upsetting that this "all exclusive, full charter" Maxwell experience is going to be shared with customers who probably have no idea who Maxwell is!! It's going to take away from the experience of sailing with people who have the same musical interests as my own and I would be able to relate to.

I really hope this gets sorted out, or they just cancel the whole darn thing so I can get over the $3,000 I spent for this cruise back, and use it for a more enjoyable vacation.

Unfortunately, I think you're right, I think it IS going to be chaos - and I wouldn't count on any of the promises Maxwellatsea is making about anything onboard either - especially since RCI says this cruise is no longer even a PARTIAL charter by the group.

Not sure what your recourse is, but are you past final payment date? I think if it were me, I'd call them up, and ask them to confirm that its still a full charter - which I believe they will, given the reports on their Facebook page. I'd be recording the conversation, and would be sure to somehow mention today's date in the conversation at some point. Then, I'd tell them that the call is being recorded, and I'd like a FULL refund of everything I've paid, otherwise I'll file fraud charges against them, since RCI has confirmed that its NOT a full charter. That just might be enough motivation to get them to refund your money, so you can rebook on another cruise, like the one hattack mentions - which will save you a bunch of money too!

Lovenharmony - first of all, sorry that this is the way you have to find out.

If I were you, I would immediately start calling to get your money back. They will continue to advertise as a "full ship charter", they will not say anything about their charter being pulled. If you can get your money back, now is a good time to do so.

I think there's little doubt that this is done and over, per this post:

Hello everyone. Would just like to report to you all that has happened and that there should be no reason to worry in regards to this sailing date!

After weeks of going back and forth with RC trying to get off this ship and price protect for another date, they refused. I ended up cancelling my May 3rd Family Promenade Stateroom. I did not stop there. I got in contact with someone in the executive office. She was able to clarify everything for me.

At one point, back in May 2014, this ship was fully chartered. This charter was cancelled on November 13th, and RC started to release rooms on Nov 14th. The person I spoke with obtained this knowledge from "very high sources." We ended up reinstating our booking (at a great rate it seems). She assured me that the cruise experience will not be effected in the slightest. There is no partial charter, full charter, any charter.

As far as the website goes, she told me their legal team has been notified and they will be working to take it down. Also, I was the one who commented on their FB asking if it was still happening, and they ended up deleting all of my posts so it seems fishy on their end. Glad I was able to get it all clarified.

If you can get some sort of a confirmation from Royal Caribbean that this charter isn't happening, then your trip insurance should refund you the money. Or your bank, if you used a credit or debit card to book.

If you really want a charter cruise full of music, please look into the Capital Jazz SuperCruise. It is a genuine full charter, it's sold out year in and year out, and the lineup is amazing for both jazz and R&B fans.

We originally booked this date but were cancelled by RCI and given price protection on designated sailings and OBC. We later got our price reduced. This week would not have worked out for me in any case as my nephew is getting married in FL and we did not want to drive down 2 weekends in a row.

Lovenharmony....I notice you are from the NYC area...if it helps one of our Capital Jazz SuperCruise host this year is Lenny Green, from WBLS Quiet Storm and every year there is a large representation of SuperCruisers from your NYC area...many of whom attend the Capital Jazz Festival held every June in Maryland on charter bus groups...at the Festival there is a booth for the SuperCruise so you will have the opportunity to begin to make connections that will make your first music cruise vacation experience memorable for both your sister and yourself

RCI has successfully hosted both full music charters and large music groups on regular sailings for many years and has a proven track record to making the onboard vacation experience enjoyable for everyone......in the worse case, the Maxwell group cannot be that large (at this point) and the FAS is large enough to make it work from an operational logistics perspective but if one pays for a full charter music experience anything less than that is not acceptable

Based upon recent postings on this thread, it looks like this will be resolved very quickly

Gone already.

Too bad for them I have a screencap of it! I'll probably get banned from their page for this post, but I've had it. They're making other, better jazz charters look bad.

Edited by LadyMage

Thanks everyone for your advice on better options for me. I'm still hoping that everything gets cleared up before the March 15 deadline for other customers still paying off for this Maxwell cruise.

I don't know if you are only into Neo Soul music, but this will be my 4th Tom Joyner cruise and I love it. It's a wonderful full charter experience with something for everyone!

The full charter music cruises have replaced the brick & mortar Jazz Clubs where one can experience enough live performances in an 7-8 days/nights time span in an intimate setting in a cost efficient manner that it would take 3-5 years to do on land if you went to a venue, once a month to support your favorite artists.....it is 2 vacations (cruise,music) in 1...the bonus is that the well establish charters (Festival at Sea, Fantastic Voyage, Capital Jazz SuperCruise, Dave Koz & Friends, The Jazz Cruise, The Smooth Jazz Cruise, Malt Shop Memories, Soul Train Cruise, Legendary Rhythm & Blues Cruise) each have a very loyal & passionate repeat fan base, that sail year after year in part because of the music & artists as much as for the friendships that are formed and celebrated onboard almost like a yearly family reunion.....a frequent comment is once you have experienced a full music charter, one would find a regular cruise :eek:boring:eek:

As a Baby Boomer, I grew up listening to Motown, Stax, DooWop, Funk Bands, Horn Bands (TOP, EW&F, War, BS&T) R&B, Jazz and the great Soul Singers being played by my Parents on their hi-fi while watching Soul Train on Saturday mornings...every year on the Capital Jazz SuperCruise I am reminded on how cruising & music are such a great combination and to be able to experience it with 3000+ like minded spirits

I love neo soul...the Capital Jazz SuperCruise thru it's Underground Lounge & Get Down Club & Midnight Allstar Jam Sessions, showcases emerging neo soul artists has become my favorite part of the cruise