Wine package on board in Dollars or pp in Pounds?

surrey cruiser

Hi - I am a UK cruiser & have read somewhere that its better to purchase the wine packages onboard in $ rather than pre purchase on Celebrity website in £.

Currently a 7 bottle Classic wine package is listed as being £174.67 (I assume including the 15% tax)

Current Dollar/Pound exchange rate is around $1.66/1£

Leaving on Silhouette 22nd June

Thanks in anticipation!

Kevin

Kevin

Everything purchased on board is in US$ including beverage packages.

Check out the exchange rate Celebrity are using for OBC. It is often a very good rate and then you can use it to purchase the beverage package on board, if that is what you decide.

To find out the rate they are currently using, go to the bottom of Celebrity's webpages and look for Gifts by Celebrity. You need Deliver on Board. OBC is sold in US$25 units although it does not say this on the website.

If the rate is good, do not buy the OBC online. It requires human intervention and can take some time to be processes. If you telephone Celebrity, it will be processed while you are on the 'phone.

Edited by Project_gal

As stated, all purchases made on board, no matter where the ship is in the world, are in US dollars.

There should be no tax, VAT or otherwise, on any wine packages you purchase.

There is, however, always a 15% gratuity on the wine packages. The question you need to find out the answer to is, how do they handle this in relation to the price you are quoted. Is that price inclusive of the gratuity, or would there be 15% added on top of that price? And what is the current price showing on the US website for this same package. Knowing those two things will help you decide whether or not to pre-purchase the packages.

If you wait until you are on board, do factor in any fees your bank might charge for foreign currency transactions.

(BTW, When ships sail from Southampton, the beverages sold on board are re-priced so that the amount you are charged includes the gratuity. When the ships sail from other parts, the gratuity is listed separately.)

As stated, all purchases made on board, no matter where the ship is in the world, are in US dollars.

There should be no tax, VAT or otherwise, on any wine packages you purchase.

There is, however, always a 15% gratuity on the wine packages. The question you need to find out the answer to is, how do they handle this in relation to the price you are quoted. Is that price inclusive of the gratuity, or would there be 15% added on top of that price? And what is the current price showing on the US website for this same package. Knowing those two things will help you decide whether or not to pre-purchase the packages.

If you wait until you are on board, do factor in any fees your bank might charge for foreign currency transactions.

(BTW, When ships sail from Southampton, the beverages sold on board are re-priced so that the amount you are charged includes the gratuity. When the ships sail from other parts, the gratuity is listed separately.)

Thanks I meant 15% gratuity.

I just need to know what the current on board price is for a 7 bottle package with the gratuity - the rest I can work out?

Kevin

Everything purchased on board is in US$ including beverage packages.

Check out the exchange rate Celebrity are using for OBC. It is often a very good rate and then you can use it to purchase the beverage package on board, if that is what you decide.

To find out the rate they are currently using, go to the bottom of Celebrity's webpages and look for Gifts by Celebrity. You need Deliver on Board. OBC is sold in US$25 units although it does not say this on the website.

If the rate is good, do not buy the OBC online. It requires human intervention and can take some time to be processes. If you telephone Celebrity, it will be processed while you are on the 'phone.

Thanks Sue - Yes I normally pay my account in Dollars on board - my card gives me better than tourist exchange rate with no fees & has been better than cruise line rates when I have compared it against them retrospectively.

What I was trying to establish was the current on board price of a 7 bottle classic package as I am aware from recent threads Celebrity have very recently put prices up - do you know?

Kevin

Thanks Sue - Yes I normally pay my account in Dollars on board - my card gives me better than tourist exchange rate with no fees & has been better than cruise line rates when I have compared it against them retrospectively.

What I was trying to establish was the current on board price of a 7 bottle classic package as I am aware from recent threads Celebrity have very recently put prices up - do you know?

Kevin

Kevin

I would still check the current rate for OBC. It only changes periodically but there have been times when it has beaten the rate you can get anywhere else hands down.

Unless things have changed radically since last year IMO the wine packages have very little to offer. The choice of wines is extremely limited on either the basic or premium one and the savings only worked out at about £1 a bottle or so on average.

Far better for us to buy the wine we actually wanted each night...they have a very impressive wine list.

Given the recent price rises being reported I do think in in cabin bar set-up represents good value at the minute, if you are interested in that. 1 ltr bottle of Tanquery Gin + 6 mixers currently available for £48.80... lots of brands to choose from but some fall into the "premium" category and cost more.

Looking at UK supermarket prices there seems to be no logic in how Celebrity determines what they call "premium"