US Cellular

amandawi

Does anyone know if US Cellular will have any service in Alaskan Ports? We are going to Juneau, Skagway, & Ketchikan.

If we can't get service, does anyone have any other suggestions for communicating with home? Our son will be home with grandparents, so we'd like to be able to check in at least a few times during our trip.

Thanks for the reply. I did see that thread, but didn't see anyone respond who had experience with US Cellular. Most replies were talking about other carriers. I also looked at the US Cellular map and the coverage looked very limited, except around Juneau. I'm hoping that the other ports will have similar service.

• 3 weeks later...

For those inquiring about US Cellular service in Alaska, I have just returned. I had also searched for information about coverage, but had trouble finding much information other than the coverage maps.

Prior to the trip, I called US Cellular. We have a nationwide plan. The agent had said that we would be able to roam in Alaskan Ports per their coverage map. They reported when roaming outside of home area after 200 mB of data was used, the speed would "throttle down" which he explained as still being able to use data at a much slower rate.

As for travel into Canada, the rate would be $3 roaming per day, 0.99 per minute plus toll charges. They said texting would be free. I didn't try this though, I was afraid I would still be hit with roaming charges. I simply turned my phone to airplane mode or off whenever we were headed into Canada.

The representative suggested we update the cell phone towers prior to leaving for vacation by entering *228 (must be done from home area).

I was able to make and receive calls and texts in Anchorage, Seward, Juneau, Skagway, Hoonah/Icy Strait Point, and Ketchikan. I was not able to send picture text messages.

I am not really sure myself. Maybe someone more techy than I could explain. I would would think you could do it anytime. It is supposed to give you access to all cell phone towers and update the preferred roaming list.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Breezers