Viking now providing transfers without pre and post cruise extension purchase

ninaks

We are going on the Portraits of Southern France cruise in September on Viking. We are not doing the pre or post cruise extension and did not use Viking air since we are using frequent flier miles. On our own we are spending a couple of days in Paris pre-cruise and a couple of days in Nice post cruise. Viking has a pre-cruise in Paris and a post cruise in Nice. I asked if I could tag along on their transportation to the ship from Paris and also to Nice from the ship, since they already had a bus going. I offered to pay for the ride. Viking's answer when we called customer service was no. It was only for customers doing the extensions. I decided to send an email using the email address I see Viking posts on Cruise Critic when they would like you to contact them directly. I heard back from them after a short time saying they would be happy to accommodate us. Not only that, but they are going to begin offering this service to all of their customers that would like to use it. I am paying $120 for each transfer. My friend is flying out of Marseille and they are also doing the transportation from the ship to Marseille airport for her as well even though she isn’t using Viking air, also for $120. While a train might be cheaper, this is so much easier. I don’t have to change trains dragging luggage, I don’t have to get a cab from the train station and it is all arranged for me. It will take them some time to get it so all their customer service agents can offer this since they have to update all their computer systems for all the different cities. I applaud Viking for listening to a need and being willing to do what it takes to make their customers happy. I have used Viking before and loved them and will continue to use them. Just thought I would let people know this is coming if they want to take advantage of it.

It is been in place for a long time I think: http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/travel-forms/transfer-request-form.html

From Viking website:

-------------------------------

transfers may be purchased through Viking Cruises up to 30 days before departure for an additional cost, or you may make your own transfer arrangements

-------------------------------

That is good news. Thanks for the update! Yes, the luggage handling is an important consideration when weighing the cost of a transfer vs. DIY, especially when you've just flown all night or need to leave the ship early in the A.M. to make an early flight home.

Becki

Before it was just for airport transfers the day the cruise starts or ends, now you can do it from the hotels at their pre and post extensions I believe is what they told me the difference is

Viking apparently has been listening!

But I do have to wonder why their front line CSR don't know this and told the OP no????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

I'm sure it's convenient to use the Viking transport in Paris but it's very expensive and you may be sitting around for some time waiting for other passengers on a later flight. I found that CDG has an outstanding taxi service. You just walk outside and an airport official gets your cab. The best part is that it only costs around 55EU or less than $80.00US and they deliver you to your Hotel. I've found that unless the transfer costs are included in your holiday price then I'd prefer to use a taxi.

this transport is actually from the Hyatt hotel that viking guests stay in for the pre-cruise excursion in Paris to the ship. We are not staying at that hotel, but will meet them the morning of the cruise at the hotel, and then ride the viking bus to the ship.

They didn't know about it because I was literally the first person they allowed to do this. They had to do some special computer wrangling to get it into my reservation, but they are working on rolling it out now for all

That's great news because they definitely were NOT offering it on Portraits of Southern France as of May 4th when we disembarked. Several of our fellow passengers were really unhappy about that since other cruise lines offer the service. Glad to see that they are listening. Do you know when they are beginning to offer it and whether it's on all cruises?

They told me they are starting with the most popular cities and rolling them out as fast as possible. I don't know the dates, but I think customer service knows about it now because my travel agent called to set mine up .

Viking quoted us $120 each direction for two at start and end of our recently booked Rhine Getaway and we are not using their air or pre/post cruise arrangements. For us, $120 is very steep for a transfer to the dock in AMS and equally steep for a transfer from the ship into town in Basel at end. We can find many other much more economical transport arrangements in both those locations. I think you should research and know what the other options are and how far the transfer distance is before committing to $60 per person each direction.

Hurray for Viking in offering the transfer service - for some people who are getting older and having difficulty dealing with their luggage it's a god sent!!!

Quite honestly, 5 years ago I would have thought it way too expensive and something we could easily do on our own. But times changed as HD has developed a foot problem and now walks with a cane!

Two years ago we took Viking's Portraits of Southern France and no transfers were available since, like ninaks, we stayed pre in Paris and post in Nice all on our own. It was easy to take the train from Paris to Chalon - until it broke down mid-way and we had to exit with all our luggage! A call to the ship resulted with a return call from the CD and at that moment we fell in love with Viking all because of CD Kurt!!!! He told us French train breakdowns were common, explained about the next train & resulting transfer, and reassured us the ship didn't sail until the next morning and they'd be waiting for us and the almost 30 other stranded passengers - at least 4 of whom had tried like us to but transfers!! Interesting side note - our 2 friends were also on the cruise, had done pre-cruise in Paris with Viking and reported their bus going to Chalon from Paris was almost empty!!

When we returned from a fabulous cruise, I posted our "adventure" here on CC which resulted in a call from Viking. I explained that I thought they were foolish not to SELL transfers in certain circumstances - like Paris to Chalon. While not all passengers would like tem or need them, there are some passengers for whom it could become a "breaking" point. I'm not taking credit for their "new" policy but I think enough of us making comments here on CC may have helped them see the light!!

In many cities its fairly easy to get a cab for a short ride to the port - did it last year in Basel - but other times its a long haul and those bags get heavier every year even though we're packing lighter so I say "hurray" to Viking!!!

Exactly.

i also agree with the last 2 posts…w just returned from our annual trip to Paris ( we love it there)…after an all night flight we opt for a private car service for $75 euros only. we would certainly feel comfortable taking a cab from the airport for 55 euros but we have become friends with our driver and enjoy the comfort of seeing someone with a card and our name on it after not sleeping for 14 hours…

from the Hyatt to the ship…a cab would be about 20 euros…even with the dollar to euro conversion thats a good deal and something to think about…but it is whatever makes you feel best…have a great trip!!

it is about 225 miles from the Hyatt in Paris to the ship. I think it would be very expensive in a cab. I know a train is about $80 but on sunday you have to change trains and you have to go up a lot of stairs I hear so that is why we are doing the bus. I think it is like FotoPeg says, sometimes it is just worth the extra money for the convenience for some people. I have gotten lazy or spoiled or whatever in my older age and I am all for being spoiled on vacation, but I totally understand others may not feel the same way.