I said I would never sail NCL again but

mw_1970

Have just booked a 7 night Med cruise back on Epic (A ship I also said I probably wouldn't cruise again !).

The reason I said I wouldn't book with NCL again was due to a post I read on here where a board member had had their cruise cancelled at extremely short notice by NCL as the company had decided to charter the ship out. The compensation on offer was poor and was going to cost the CC Board member over 500$ to rebook.

However, got an email reminding me that the current sale ended today, spoke to NCL and got a hell of a deal.

Funny how money talks isn't it ?

;)

Have just booked a 7 night Med cruise back on Epic (A ship I also said I probably wouldn't cruise again !).

The reason I said I wouldn't book with NCL again was due to a post I read on here where a board member had had their cruise cancelled at extremely short notice by NCL as the company had decided to charter the ship out. The compensation on offer was poor and was going to cost the CC Board member over 500$ to rebook.

However, got an email reminding me that the current sale ended today, spoke to NCL and got a hell of a deal.

Funny how money talks isn't it ?

;)

I don't know which cruise that was cancelled you are referring to or how long ago that was, but it is very rare for a cruise line (any line) to book a charter within 6 months of the cruise date. I would like to know more about the situation, where the cruise was cancelled with very little notice.

When I get in front of my pc tomorrow will look back and let you know. I believe it was following a post around August last year. Poster had paid their balance in full so I imagine was travelling or due to travel within 2 months. I think that with having to rebook flights etc they were $700 out of pocket and were offered $100 compensation.

As I say, will check out tomorrow.

The two charters which I recall being at shorter notice than usual were the Superbowl and the Olympics, both of which were announced in August last year, so some way short of final payment. It was actually around 6 months out.

They were late enough that people are likely to have booked airfare though, which can result it a cost for rearrangements or cancellation.

It's much more common for them to be announced around a year in advance, which has much less potential for financial loss.

People had good reason to be annoyed about the Superbowl/Olympics, but they do appear to be an exception.

Edited by KeithJenner

The two charters which I recall being at shorter notice than usual were the Superbowl and the Olympics, both of which were announced in August last year, so some way short of final payment. It was actually around 6 months out.

They were late enough that people are likely to have booked airfare though, which can result it a cost for rearrangements or cancellation.

It's much more common for them to be announced around a year in advance, which has much less potential for financial loss.

People had good reason to be annoyed about the Superbowl/Olympics, but they do appear to be an exception.

6 months does happen, even that is rare and yes, there would be a reason to be upset. But as I have said a few times, being a retired agent with many years experience I have seen this happen on just about every mass marketed line. I don't remember RCI doing it, am sure they have. I do know one line that is very bad about chartering ships out, worse than NCL for sure. But I am not here to bash another line, I am simply here to explain this is not an unusual policy...That being said, I don't think it should ever happen without a good refund policy plus compensation.

I don't know which cruise that was cancelled you are referring to or how long ago that was, but it is very rare for a cruise line (any line) to book a charter within 6 months of the cruise date. I would like to know more about the situation, where the cruise was cancelled with very little notice.

Here's the thread

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1901588

thanks for the thread. I can never find those old ones when I am looking for them. It does appear the cancellation was about 6 months out which is what I sorta expected. I don't really consider that last minute cancellation. I will add, I know the cruise lines do not refund loss of air or hotels booked in advance unless they are booked via the cruise line. Again, I understand people being upset when this happens, I think it might be a good idea for all of us to postpone booking air and hotel til closer to sailing date. I know rates do go up sometimes, especially when it comes to air, but I still think we all have to understand, yes, cancelling a cruise date is a huge disappointment to everyone, we can't expect the cruise line to refund charges we encounter on our own, especially when other cruises sailing on the same or almost same date were offered. I did notice the OP only posted 3 times, all the same day. Again, good for you for being able to find the tread, I would have gone nuts trying to find one that was almost a year old.