Directions to Long Beach

These are the directions from Carnival's website for getting to the cruise terminal. Are these directions fairly complete and idiot-proof??

How far is it from parking area to luggage drop off? Is there any benefit to just parking and carrying our own luggage, or is the drop-off area easy to get in and out?

Traveling from the Los Angeles area (north) -

Take the 405 Freeway south.

Take the 710 Freeway south.

Continue on the 710 Freeway south and follow the signs for the Queen Mary.

At the entrance to the Queen Mary, stay to the far right of the parking ticket taker for the Queen Mary; this lane is the entrance to the Long Beach Cruise terminal.

Follow the signs for Passenger Parking and Luggage Drop-Off area.

These are the directions from Carnival's website for getting to the cruise terminal. Are these directions fairly complete and idiot-proof??

How far is it from parking area to luggage drop off? Is there any benefit to just parking and carrying our own luggage, or is the drop-off area easy to get in and out?

Traveling from the Los Angeles area (north) -

Take the 405 Freeway south.

Take the 710 Freeway south.

Continue on the 710 Freeway south and follow the signs for the Queen Mary.

At the entrance to the Queen Mary, stay to the far right of the parking ticket taker for the Queen Mary; this lane is the entrance to the Long Beach Cruise terminal.

Follow the signs for Passenger Parking and Luggage Drop-Off area.

The only thing that's missing is:

"Once on 405 South, be prepared to stop for what seems like forever if there is an accident, police action, naked guy on freeway, etc."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To park - after getting ticket, turn left before the parking structure. There is an elevator in the southeast corner.

If you are dropping off luggage first, continue straight and go around the parking structure and stay in the left hand lane. The drop off is in the parking structure.

To park - after getting ticket, turn left before the parking structure. There is an elevator in the southeast corner.

If you are dropping off luggage first, continue straight and go around the parking structure and stay in the left hand lane. The drop off is in the parking structure.

So that sounds like it wouldn't be far to handle our luggage ourselves if we can?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The Carnival site might not have the directions corrected for the 710 closures:

http://www.presstelegram.com/general-news/20140510/710-freeway-traffic-delays-expected-as-construction-begins-in-long-beach

I've seen the other post and I guess that was part of my question for those more familiar with the area and route. Is anything changed based on the construction?

Looking at the map posted above, it looks like there's no big headache about going to the luggage drop off and then parking? I was thinking it could be similar to dropping someone at the curb at the airport and then needing to go park, which is a huge pain sometimes. I also remembered it being horrible to have to drop off at the terminal and then go park at Galveston. But if we preferred, we could just park first and then walk our luggage to the drop-off area? We don't have a complete packing list, but I can't imagine with 4 of us that we couldn't carry/roll whatever we have.

Looking at the map posted above, it looks like there's no big headache about going to the luggage drop off and then parking? I was thinking it could be similar to dropping someone at the curb at the airport and then needing to go park, which is a huge pain sometimes. I also remembered it being horrible to have to drop off at the terminal and then go park at Galveston. But if we preferred, we could just park first and then walk our luggage to the drop-off area? We don't have a complete packing list, but I can't imagine with 4 of us that we couldn't carry/roll whatever we have.

You would be walking with your luggage for a shorter distance than the airport. The luggage drop off is literally on the ground floor of the parking garage. I'm sure you can drop off and then park, but IMHO, getting to the parking structure is incredibly easy; leaving is a bit confusing with signs not being detailed enough. I'm sure any of the porters would be able to point you in the right direction after dropping off your luggage.

Apparently the Gerald Desmond Bridge project is not affecting the Queen Mary exit from the 710. Since Monday, my co-workers have missed the detour signs twice and ended up at the Queen Mary.:p:rolleyes:

Just be sure to look for the Queen Mary freeway sign and stay in that lane. It is fairly easy getting to the Cruise Terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at the Google Maps links posted above and they seem to be very helpful. But what is the white thing running the whole length of the NE side of the garage?

Also, how do you get to the surface lot if we'd rather park there than the garage? I haven't seen an obvious entrance on the google maps images?

I was looking at the Google Maps links posted above and they seem to be very helpful. But what is the white thing running the whole length of the NE side of the garage?

Also, how do you get to the surface lot if we'd rather park there than the garage? I haven't seen an obvious entrance on the google maps images?

The white thing is a shade awning for the buses.

Unless you have a large truck or RV, I would park in the structure. But to answer your question, instead of turning into the parking structure, go straight and then make a left. Go through the stop sign (after stopping, of course :)) and make a left into the parking lot where the crosswalk lines are. If you have an RV, then continue straight past the 1st parking lot and go to the 2nd parking lot, where there are RV spots.

FYI - There is an elevator at the SE corner of the parking structure. When looking at Google maps, it is the tower attached to the parking structure.

The fact that you're pre-planning and asking means you're not an idiot...and therefore you will be fine ! :)

LOL. It also means I really really hate being the navigator and having no idea where we are going and trying to wing it from a moving vehicle. And I'm not fast enough with the map apps to find something before we've gone far enough that I have to find a different location and try to figure out the new directions, especially on the small screen! Navigation issues are one of those hot buttons that can get ugly when we travel and I really try to avoid any hiccups if possible!! Hubby is already talking about using GasBuddy to find the cheapest gas before we go to Long Beach and I'm like saving 15 cents a gallon on gas can not possibly be worth the risk of getting turned around in an unfamiliar place!!!

Another question looking at the maps at the port: if you try to find a spot in the parking lot and it's full, is there any way to get back to the garage?

RIght now there are only two ships in Long Beach. There is plenty of parking available in the structure and around the whole port area.

Get a paper map and study it. ;) AAA has a great one of the LA freeway system.

LOL. It also means I really really hate being the navigator and having no idea where we are going and trying to wing it from a moving vehicle. And I'm not fast enough with the map apps to find something before we've gone far enough that I have to find a different location and try to figure out the new directions, especially on the small screen! Navigation issues are one of those hot buttons that can get ugly when we travel and I really try to avoid any hiccups if possible!! Hubby is already talking about using GasBuddy to find the cheapest gas before we go to Long Beach and I'm like saving 15 cents a gallon on gas can not possibly be worth the risk of getting turned around in an unfamiliar place!!!

Another question looking at the maps at the port: if you try to find a spot in the parking lot and it's full, is there any way to get back to the garage?

JMHO, but I think you're suffering from too much info overload :eek:! My suggestion is that you try to relax and go back to the day of the paper map.

I wouldn't worry about gas price's at all. Look at a paper map. See where you need to go from your house to the port. Save that map! Ignore the "savings" that show up.

JMHO, again,

JMHO, but I think you're suffering from too much info overload :eek:! My suggestion is that you try to relax and go back to the day of the paper map.

I wouldn't worry about gas price's at all. Look at a paper map. See where you need to go from your house to the port. Save that map! Ignore the "savings" that show up.

JMHO, again,

We don't live in the LA area, so we're going to need specific directions to get anywhere. Like I said, I don't do well trying to navigate while we drive. I can follow directions, but I'm too slow finding stuff on the map, electronic or paper.

I totally agree it's not worth going on a search to get gas. Gas buddy won't tell you that nobody in their right mind would get off the freeway in a particular area. If I'm in charge, I get the gas closest to the hotel and ignore the price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk